on 27 October 2009
It doesn't matter how small, how much it holds, how long it can play for or what type of cool, new voice interface this iPod shuffle has, the only way to play any music on this is with the factory provided headphones which are worse than rubbish. So until a manufacturer develops some good headphones for this product, do not buy it or you shall come to regret wasting your money.
22 comments| 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 October 2009
is a good product untill the earphones pack in which happens regularly unfortunatly. As they control the skip song function and the volume without them its pritty useless!
on 15 November 2009
I was looking forward to the new technology but was dissapointed whe the head phnoe remote didn't work and then ther was no way to play any songs. It also doesn't allow you to use your own headphones. Nowhere near what I had expected after years of ipod shuffle use. Sounds good on the descrition but did not live up to it's promise.
on 14 July 2010
I wanted an MP3 player for use whilst running. I understood from some reviews that one could select a playlist and volume setting using the supplied headphones then swap out the heaphones for a sport pair. THAT IS NOT TRUE. As soon as one removes the ipod headphones this ipod goes into standby mode, rendering non-proprietary headphones useless.

Runners should be aware because it's likely that the supplied heaphones will fall out whilst they're running.
on 10 January 2010
My wife bought me the newest I pod shuffle 3g for christmas. The first time I used it the remote packed up after 10 minutes running. The volume kept rising and the the guy on the player kept telling me the track I was listening to and the song kept re starting. I also could not jump to the next track. The problems go away after the unit has sat for a couple of hours but every time I use it again and start to sweat (how un reasonable of me!!) it starts to mess around again. The actual unit is very very nice its just a shame it absolutely does not do the job that blatantly people believe it is designed to do. Honestly don't buy this product it is just a waste of money if your at all active it will let you down. Apple should be ashamed of themselves and do a product recall on the earphones disgusting!! If you do decide to stick with apple do your self a favour and buy the second gen shuffle and save yourself some money in the process.
on 5 August 2010
Even though there are so many reviews already, this ipod has pissed me off so I thought I'd write one too.
The shuffle which is pretty much made for people who do exercise breaks when you do exercise. The headphone remote is faulty when liquid gets on it; this includes sweat. It works for a while but the more exercise you do, the less time you will have. Several problems occur to the remote making the ipod unusable:
1. The sound goes down to 0 by itself;
2. The controls don't work at all; if they do its either temporarily or only the volume.
3. A playlist message gets played over and over (or just randomly).

With all 3 occuring it makes the ipod useless. Most of the time you can't change track or turn up/down the volume and when coupled with point 1, it makes it rather unusable not being able to turn up an ipod on 0 volume. The actual unit is fine, but the headphones WILL break. Apple are also aware of the fault... great, I wish I'd read reviews beforehand otherwise I would have stuck with the first generation.

I'd give it 0 stars if I could; a complete waste of money that I can't get back.
on 8 November 2015
Having just found one one of these in a drawer plugged it into laptop there is music on it .I have headphones that will work .would like original earphones with controls on or other makes .any ideas would be appreciated .have tried search but newer models pop up for IPads or Iphones
on 16 November 2010
This was a complete waste of money. As usual, the Apple headphones are terrible. This time, however, they cannot be replaced because the iPod controls are integrated into the headphones. So you're stuck. Argos will not change this awful product because it is somehow exempt from their exchange policy.

It's amazing that this product got through the development stage without anyone at Apple considering whether listeners would want to be restricted to their tinny, leaky, uncompfortable headphones. Hence my question - does anyone at Apple even listen to music? For £10 you can get a decent pair of headphones, which increases the enjoyment of music ten-fold. It also prevents others from being contaminated by annoying Apple leakage (tish--tish--tish--tish). This is obvious to anyone who is a serious music listener. Presumably no-one at Apple is?

There is an adaptor made by Belkin, but this does not seem to work particularly well and struggles with the multi-click system.
on 23 July 2010
Some excellent design and software ideas here, but with severe limitations.

The headphone cable-mounted control works well, but it means you are either stuck with the ipod shuffle's own headphones (which won't stay in my ears unless I glue them) or have to buy an non-apple adaptor. The available adaptors are short, meaning that the controls are near the ipod, not up near the wearer's neck, which rather defeats the point.

The voice-over software is clever. I discovered that it speaks Czech and German quite well when I load Czech or German classical music. However, many of the tracks in my classical collection are lumbered with long titles full of numbers, abbreviations and # signs (e.g. Beethoven: Symphony #7 In A, Op. 92 - 4. Allegro Molto) and it can't really cope with these.

Finally, I encountered a very irritating bug. No matter what I tried some of my playlists would play only in reverse order. I have no idea why.
on 4 July 2010
I am really pleased with my purchase of this apple Ipod, however the only disappointment was the headphones tht come with this. they do not stay in my ears, they seem very big and uncomfortably hard. Have looked at buying some softer smaller one's but the compatible one's are really expensive.