Format: DVD|Change

on 3 April 2009
Mawkishly sentimental. Horribly self-indulgent.

I am interested in so many of the themes --- or so I thought.
Are there any? are there any actual ideas in this film?

I am high-brow enough to actually like some of the poems quoted but all the big ideas are borrowed from poems which would have been better read by any out-of-work actor. So very very self-indulgent. So many weak shots which it would have been better to leave on the cutting room floor. Deeply personal indeed, but it has nothing to say to those not already primed to the same sort of mawkish nostalgia displayed by Terence Davies.

An abysmal effort.

Going my bin. I am not even going to trouble the charity shops with it.
44 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 May 2014
Five minutes of this self-indulgent, condescending tripe and you'll know just what David Attenborough sounds like with a hangover. This film pillaged every B-roll house in Britain and still couldn't come up with a compelling story about anything other than Davies' own self-directed hagiography. No story, no information, but beautiful images and lovely music (used mostly for heavy-handed ironic effect) and behind it all is Terence Davies, wheezing away like a drunk in the corner. Just excruciating. This is documentary filmmaking brought to the level of bad dentistry. Awful.
on 28 March 2015
lovely, evocative film
on 19 December 2009
I think it might improve after several viewings. I got carried away with the hype and then it didn't live up to my expectation and I cannot say that I found it 'wickedly funny.' Maybe you needed to be a liverpudlian to appreciate the humour.
on 18 January 2013
I liked this film about my own city.
It documents how the city has shaped the people and itself over several generations and decades.
Probably of more interest to Liverpool people?
on 10 January 2013
Excellent Christmas present - no feedback as yet because they haven't watched it. Sorry can't give any more information on the content. Packed well, received on time (just).
on 29 April 2009
An early opportunity to see Terence Davies' personal and moving evocation of Liverpool. Fantastic use of music and poetry and interesting and illuminating extras.
on 14 April 2009
Well, to all the people who loved this film and say here "I love this; I come from Liverpool but that doesn't matter", I'd say "it has to help".

I've been to Liverpool twice only and so have no bond with the city. I saw this film purely on the strength of the reviews it attracted when it came out, and was looking forward to an evocative exploration of a city I didn't know.

This film is, quite simply, terrible. It is indulgent, pretentious, trite and cliched. The voiceover eventually reduced us to laughter - fruity portentiousness, delivered with slow luvvie enunciation. The script was stuffed with cliches.

I admit we didn't watch it all - we got about 30 minutes in before complete ennui set in. Before that, though, we moved through a few emotional stages - curiosity and laughter, followed by disbelief that this film was lauded on its release. Amazing. Truly amazing. The worst film I have seen in a long, long time.
55 comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 December 2010
A very powerful memory of a time gone by, the rose tinted memories replaced in the monochrome of its reality. Sad but fond memories.
on 1 March 2013
This film is a montage of sights and sounds from the past,but it tugs at the heartstrings.Liverpool will never seem the same again.