Customer reviews

on 22 May 1998
This edition is a reprint of a book first published in 1938. Some of the language seems a little old-fashioned and quaint, as do some of the references to "new" items,(rayon yarn for example) but this only adds to the charm of the book.
The descriptions are precise, the illustrations are clear, and the techniques themself are classic. This book is loaded with interesting ways of doing things that I have never seen before. I would imagine that without books like this, some of these techniques and historical tidbits would stand the risk of being lost. That fact alone makes this book priceless. I would enthusiastically recommend it not just as a basic reference for any knitter, beginner or experienced, but for anyone interested in craft history.
11 Comment| 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 July 2007
This book does everything; how to cast on, stitch formation, different sorts of increases and decreases... the list goes on forever. How to knit different types of garments, gloves, socks etc. It also covers things you may never have heard of - moss knitting, for example (which is not moss stitch knitting). I found it so interesting because it is a window on the past. One chapter of this book would be expanded to make a whole new book these days, with lots of big colour pictures to fill out the pages. I thought it was a really interesting read. There is a relatively large section on knitting a Shetland shawl too - not something you come across in many books. Don't be put off by the horrible modern cover - it is a facsimile edition inside.
on 1 November 2013
Packed with lots of history and information about different types of knitting, with plenty of instructions and diagrams if you read through it. Well researched and accurately written. However it is a small book and not that appealing to browse through. I would prefer a larger book with bigger or colour images. If you had limited space or wanted to carry around it would be a good choice for an overview of knitting.
on 10 February 2011
this is a very interesting book for knitters. it provides information about the history of knitting worldwide, and several methods to knit the same stitches to get different results. I only wish it had colour pictures!
on 3 November 2011
This is a great book! Not only every knitting technique you're likely to need plus some you probably won't but also an interesting historical perspectives. This vintage book is both useful and inspiring for anyone who is even a little bit serious about knitting.
on 10 June 2013
Although originally published many moons ago, this book is still very useful. This is where I go first when I have a problem or a puzzle with my knitting.
on 1 August 2012
I was fascinated by this little book, my tea went cold and it was read in one sitting.Patterns are interesting I love knitting and history and this fulfilled all my interests, thank you amazon.
on 31 May 2009
I didn't get much out of it knitting wise, but it has some very interesting chapters about the history of knitting.
on 3 April 2013
I chose this because the book uploads and everything around it is safe and fast and good handling. I would sincerely recommend this to my friends.
on 5 August 2015