on 8 August 2009
When I purchased this CD I was not expecting it to be as good as it turned out to be. I have the two main works (Haydn and Hummel) played by Haken Hardenberger (who I belive has been a teacher of Alison Balsom), and I didn't think it was possible to improve on this, but I was wrong! Alison Balsom plays both works every bit as good, and manages to extract more contrast and tone colour from her instrument. It is Alison Balsom's disc which will played much more frequently than the earlier recording. Highly recommended.
on 2 March 2009
The best rendering of Hummels trumpetconcerto I've heard. Alison Balsoms playing reminds me Maurice André playing..renewed. BUT I don't think this could have been possible without Deutche Kammerphilharmonie from Bremen.
Balsom and the orchestra are equals in the art of music, the balance is perfect.
This is an excellent disc of four of the standard works in the trumpet repertoire, and the Haydn and Hummel concertos particularly are very fine works indeed. With her performances here Alison Balsom shows us why she has made such a stir in the musical world with her freshness, verve, tenderness and a beautiful tone. The lovely, sharp clarity of the sparkling vigorous passages is a joy but what I really loved most was the tender, beautifully phrased slow movements of both the Haydn and the Hummel concertos. It is here that Balsom shows her real control and unflashy virtuosity, and they are truly excellent. The orchestral playing is top-notch, too. Jonathan Freeman-Attwood's liner notes are well written and informative, and the recorded sound is excellent.

This disc confirms Alison Balsom as a musician of the first rank and is worth buying even if you already own other recordings of these works. It's terrific, and I recommend it in the warmest terms.
on 6 April 2011
This is superb. The best rendering I know of this very difficult piece. Just listen to the tonguing! Alison Balsom is becoming the best trumpeter on the circuit.
Wonderful to watch too, if you're ever lucky enough to be where she's playing.
on 4 May 2016
while I have only just acquired this 2008 recording I have thoroughly enjoyed it...and her versions of the Haydn and Torelli make an interesting contrast with Steele-Perkins more authentic recordings.
on 8 November 2009
For anyone who enjoys the trumpet this is a must have CD. Alison Balsom is a very, very talented player and this is evident in the performance. It is very evident that she is completely at one with the orchestra and enjoys every moment of the performance.
on 9 April 2013
An excellent recording Miss balsom plays with attack in the lively passages but also with a delicacy in the slow movements. I can fully reccommend this recording.
There was a mistake, in the sending of this record, i recieved 2 instead of one, I do not know where the mistake was mad as I am sure that I did not change the defaul "1" in the box. However Amazon very kindly told me not to worry about returning the spare copy with thier compliments and they refunded the extra payment. I think that is excellent service.
The package arrived on the day allotted.
on 3 September 2014
I bought this because I'd heard part of the Hummel piece being played by a young girl on the TV programme 'Lewis'. Hearing it right the way through it's lovely, and beautifully played by Alison Balsom.
on 17 October 2009
Not being a musically-qualified critic, I cannot review this CD professionally but I do want to say how grateful I am to both the perfomers and the recorders for producing such a wonderful disk - I just cannot play it often enough - Alison is just amazing - her skill outstanding and her success so well deserved. Hummel and Haydn would have fallen in love with her. Do buy this disk and share my enthusiam!
on 30 August 2009
Both concertos are a joy to listen to. The music itself is beautiful and the execution enhances the richness of that beauty. The trumpet ia a lovely mellow instrument and Alison Balsom's playing makes the most of both music and instrument. A balm for the soul in a frenetic world!