on 5 July 2013
I bought this as I've just started learning guitar and wanted to be able to strengthen my fingers while I was sat at my desk at work. I am really impressed with it. It's well made, looks good and there are different ways of using it. It definitely helps build hand muscles for playing. Really glad I bought it
on 4 September 2013
brilliant well worth getting if you are learning the guitar its great for strength and also calluses , it is adjustable for each finger has simulated strings for building & maintaining calluses beginner to expert will get use out of this.... RECOMMEND HIGHLY
on 7 February 2013
I bought this for two reasons, 1st because im a guitarist (play both bass and 6 string) and 2nd just for general hand/wrist excercise.

I quite like the Planet Waves brand, have purchased strap locks and other things previously and have never been let down - and havent with this. This is a great item to keep with you at all times and use before/after playing or when you're just sitting around. Ive been playing for around 13 years and have always found that my little finger on my fretting hand wasnt always that strong, no matter how much i practiced. But when i started using this i found after a few days the strength and speed in all fingers had improved alot.

The thing that attracted me to this, rather than just a typical hand excerciser, was the string-like side. Even with playing for years, it helps to harden the finger tips to reduces pain and deep grooves when playing.

This was designed for guitarists, so if you're looking to keep your hands/fingers in shape for better playing, I recommend getting this one purely for that reason.
on 27 August 2013
Still using. Bought because I am a beginner at acoustic guitar and finding my little finger gets stuck and doesn't want to bend and then unbend when changing chords. Does seem to be strengthening it and whole hand but will persevere for longer to see if real improvement
on 10 January 2015
Wonderful little gadget for exercising the fingers, hand, wrist and forearm. The fact that the tension on each finger push can be adjusted is a real bonus for someone who is returning to violin playing after a break of several years, and who has developed a bit of arthritus in a couple of fingers, in the meantime. Also, the rubber base grip can be removed (and positioned over the finger pushes), to reveal simulated strings running along the base to help develop and maintain finger calluses - they've thought of everything! Much, much better than the sponge balls and corks that I used at one time for exercise!
on 19 July 2013
Good quality product, bought it to up my game a bit -have not played guitar for ages. After few days of using it I can say that this is good workout . If you are a beginner this will be sufficient to get these fingers going up and down the frets like wind (after regular practice). Calus is building up nicely already. Good replacement for stress ball too. Recommended.
on 21 February 2016
Just got it because when I'm in the middle of a guitar solo, my fingers forearms seize up.
I will update if/when the weakness in my left hand balances out with my right.
So far, all I can say is
- the adjustable springs make very little difference - you can't tell between easy and hard.
- the removable rubber grip is ok, but the simulated guitar strings underneath are a waste of plastic.
- there's guidance on what exercises to do, but nothing on how long to do it for.
VINE VOICEon 6 September 2015
I have owned one of these for some time and I bought this one for my brother who is learning to play the guitar.

I can honestly say this has been one of the single most useful items I have ever purchased in my 30+ years of playing the guitar.

You may know the chops and have the discipline to practice, but you also need the hand strength and co-ordination - this provides exactly that.

Highly recommended.
on 13 April 2014
I bought these, including Gripmaster heavy tension. These planet waves grip are just so much better. I find that you can get much better isolation with the fingers as it funnels down, rather than the whole hand grip skewing to one side with the gripmaster. I've been using this mostly one handed as I browse the net, and then switch to the other as I watch videos. I've heavily improved on my finger strength as I can exercise longer before tiring. It has been noticeable in my piano playing, very pleased

Edit: Just noticed I can change the tension on these spring, guess I missed that "adjustable". Well, bonus for me!
on 8 June 2016
I have to admit I do like this, in fact I love it. I think it's brilliant. It's well built, and it's clear D'Addario have put some real thought into it's practicality and how it'll benefit your guitar playing. This isn't a corporate fad designed to milk money out of novice guitar players who might think they need every single guitar accessory on the face of this planet. (The experienced ones I know who have been playing for over a decade also found this useful in their own way and considered getting one themselves.)

The packaging it comes in (a card with the exerciser affixed to it) has a list on the back of all the different exercises you could essentially incorporate, ranging from building finger calluses to strengthening muscles and training them for bar chords.

I started using this every day, playing around with it and giving the muscles a good flexing which I began to reap the benefits of. I could hold chords for longer and the fingers felt more agile when finger-picking. The callus builder (located underneath the grey strip seen in the picture) I was initially skeptical of, since it's "string simulator" is three lines that somewhat represent the thinner strings, but they're more raised groves in the plastic body as opposed to real guitar strings which I feel would have been better, or metal at the least.

Nevertheless, they do show promise, and the fingertips feel toughened. The ability to change the tension on each finger press (via turning the small dials for each) allows me to slowly improve the strength in the little fingers while stepping it up for the main three which are much stronger (of course, as they said too, favouring certain fingers isn't ideal.)

It fits into the pocket nicely and works great as a warm up before an intense session, or in your spare time when you know there's something you need to work on. It's versatile, strong and definitely serves me well. Highly recommended, espcially for a tenner.