Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

on 14 August 2012
I decided to come back to what i remembered as a good debut from dark rockers White Lies. Well i must say its an incredible album. Harry McVeigh's voice is magnificant, think a more powerful Ian Curtis. The drums sound powerful, the bass leads brilliantly and an eerie gothic feel surrounds the album.

'Death', 'To Lose My Life' and 'Farewell To The Fairground' are as catchy as rock music can be. Each building to an epic ending. 'E.S.T' is my favourite song here, simply for its dark, brooding sense while still keeping its cool rockiness. 'From The Stars' describes the scene of a funeral and its aftermath, yet like many songs on display its dark lyrics are conveyed into an upbeat rocker. 'Fifty On Our Foreheads' reminds me a lot of a less guitar driven Interpol. While 'A Place To Hide' and 'Unfinnished Business' are both excellent. Both 'Nothing To Give' and 'The Price Of Love' show the quieter side of White Lies, both being slower, brooding songs to round off excellently.

A top quality album, can only hope the boys next release is something more like this.
on 12 January 2009
Do we need another 80's Band? On this form - Oh Yes! Why? Because these boys know how to ROCK. They have grabbed all the influences and honed them into one fine rocking machine. Simple tight drumming, throbbing bass lines big enough to move you house off its foundations, guitars that throb like electric eels, synths that send shivers down your back., and huge arcs of melody to die for. Full marks for every steal here that works. To Lose My Life has the best Duran Duran chorus since 1982, and has me hitting the repeat button again and again. Unfinished Business sidesteps an Interpol song by inches, but does it better by chucking out the New York Pose, and embracing some old fashioned British romance, Liverpool style. But really, what sets this band apart - is that for all the influences - this music doesn't sound like a sum of its parts - White Lies have made this musical language their own. This isn't the music of the recession of 1979 - 1983. This is music to see us through our present troubles. This album sets a high standard for 2009. A lot of new artists have seen bad times coming and gone the `lets party and forget our troubles' route. White Lies are made of something stronger, and have given us 10 songs to stiffen our backbones and lift our spirits as the skies darken
on 22 August 2009
One of the best albums of the year. Every track is a grower and the group has the potental for much much more in the future. The songs are raw and at the same time melodic and catchy. I kind of liken it to a much heavier and darker version of the killers but there is also an eighties influence going on. Very very good album and much recomennded to those who like proper music.
on 11 November 2014
I bought this as saw these guys at Leeds and enjoyed the show and this is a very good cd.
Normally there are only a few songs on a cd that are good but this one is full of good catchy songs and is a good cd to have in the car for a long journey or something to play in the house in the background
on 13 January 2009
2009 began rather well, with West London's post-punk trio White Lies debut setting the bar really high for newcomers. Formed from the ashes of A Fear Of Flying in late 2007, 20-year olds Harry McVeigh (singer/guitarist), Charles Cave (bassist/lyricist) and Jack Brown (drummer) wear black and write songs with names such as Death and To Lose My Life. Fear not though as they're not your run-of-the-mill goth miserablists, these lads have way bigger plans.

Their music might sound depressing to some (Katy Perry it ain't), but at the same time it's really uplifting. Think of a gothic Killers with ice-cold synths, anthemic guitars and equally powerful vocals that will have you looking for the replay button after the first chorus has ended. As for their gloomy, morbidly macabre lyrics... well, they'll definitely leave a smirk on Robert Smith's smudged lips, not to mention Nick Cave's.

White Lies' dark pop bring back memories of 80's post-punk icons Joy Division and Echo and the Bunneymen, updated for the 21st century. Although naysayers might call them Interpol (or Editors) copycats, this is hardly the case as White Lies effectively blend their influences into a unique sound. Their debut fittingly entitled "To Lose My Life" marries monstrously dark atmospherics with danceable drums, sing-a-long choruses and huge hooks turning these alluring soundscapes into seductive dark pop gems. It's an album filled with massive tracks, all potential singles - you won't find any stinkers here - that will leave you asking for more. It's not hard to imagine a packed stadium chanting "let's grow old together and die at the same time"...

Although White Lies may lean towards the dark side (which can never be a bad thing, right?), they make gloom sound gratifying. 2009 belongs to them.
on 8 September 2009
Having seen White Lies on tv coverage of Glastonbury I bought To Lose My Life.... on the strength of the hits.Would the other songs live up to the expectations I had before listening?

Without any doubt it is the best album I have bought this year and is definitely in my Top Ten of all time.

The songwriting is excellent,the tunes instantly memorable and I can't think of a weak track.The stand out songs for me are A Place To Hide and Unfinished Business.

Can White Lies follow up with a better second album?I sure hope so.In the meantime,if you only buy one album from Amazon,make sure it is To Lose My Life....
on 6 January 2010
Loved 'farewell to the fairground' so purchased the album wanting to hear more.... loving the first three tracks and 'farewell...'plus 'unfinished business' White Lies are in a league of their own really...such dark tones, deep poetic lyrics with strong images...a very very dark album, brilliant stuff though....intelligent music.
on 1 March 2009
I read many bad reviews of this album on the web and still I don't understand why... From the firt listening I knew this would be a record I would like for months to come. From the immmense opening track Death to the glorious From the Stars, there are so many good songs here that I would not hesitate to recommend it to everyone. Enjoy music for what you like, not for what they tell you to, and thanks, White Lies, for giving us the gift of your MUSIC.
on 18 July 2011
this is a great little gem of an album. superb production, powerful riffs, electro synth, tumbling drumbeats and visions of grey faded cities via a look back at 80's post punk dreams. brilliant stuff. best album of 2009 for me without a shadow of doubt.
on 8 December 2010
I am a big fan of Joy Division, Depeche mode etc. I found out about this band from playing Need for Speed Hot Pursuit on which they had a track called "Bigger than Us" I loved that track, so tried to find out more about the band. Unfortunately it seems "Bigger than Us" cannot be bought yet for some strange reason.

I decided to buy the album after listening to the sound clips and was not dissapointed. I think every track on this album is strong. Although they claim to not have been influenced by Joy Division there is definately some resemblance in some of the tracks, but I guess it hard to be ultimatly unique these days.

This is one of the strongest albums I have heard for a long time and I cannot wait to hear the next one.