Customer reviews

The High Life [DVD] [1994]
Format: DVD|Change

on 14 December 2015
Funny, funny funny. The Scottish comedy which seems like only yesterday to me but was actually over 20 years ago. All the cast are clearly relishing their roles and as a window into the Scottish sense of humour The High Life is a great way to fly. The adventures of the crew of the not too glamourous Scotia Air are great fun even now and many of the cast moved on to bigger things.

The only sad thing is there was only one series. But fun while it lasts.
on 5 May 2015
Bought out of nostalgia for my 11 year old daughter as an alternative to the marginally less suitable Come Fly With Me, which she was keen to watch. There's the odd bit of smut in here, and some sexual innuendo which goes over her head, but it's stood the test of time, and we've really enjoyed watching it (over and over again, in my daughter's case), especially as my husband's Scottish. Show catchphrases "Oh dearie me" and "Eh?", in high-pitched Scottish accents, are now catchphrases in this house too. Personally my favourite bit is the kitschy Busby Berkeley style musical routines in the titles.
on 2 July 2017
We originally bought this DVD in 2012. We loved it so much we ordered it recently for a dear friend who is unwell & has decided she needs humour to brighten her life. We then couldn't find our copy so reordered it & watched 2 episodes this evening. Alan Cumming is the true star of this along with Forbes Masson. It's brilliant!
on 23 May 2017
Quick service and just what I wanted so very happy and I must say I've forgotten how funny this TV show was.
on 13 August 2017
I have to admit I gave this a go with low expectations but it was hilarious. Definable give it a go!
on 23 July 2017
Al Cummings should make more of these.
on 6 August 2017
Excellent show, arrived on time.
on 4 August 2017
Oh dearie me...just delightful madness.
on 8 September 2017
Very funny
VINE VOICEon 25 January 2006
There are many barmy moments of deranged genius in this series. I watched it both times it was aired on the BBC, loved it to pieces and was delighted to find it finally on DVD at a VERY low price.
Wonderful characters: Captain Hilary Duff - part-Volcan, lamenting his marital difficulties 'she didn't understand me, she's from Sri Lanka', and always having to be reminded that he's meant to be piloting the plane to Heathrow. Shona Spurtal - Chief Stewardess - aka Mussolini in Micromesh, Hitler in Tights or Goebals in a Gossard. Steve McCracken - ginger haired, sex-starved with a passion for finding ever elusive passion. Sebastian Flight - Bitchy fellow steward with Eurovision stardom pretension, composer of that fabulous null-point corker 'Piff Paff Poff'. Cameo roles by such luminaries as Guy Wersh - Scottish rock star 'Pushing 30.... Years in showbiz, babe!', composer of classic albums such as 'Badger Ma Tadger' by the Ganting Screechs. And so on.
Really hilarious, perfect viewing for those evenings when you need to recover from your soul-destroying job. Just think, it could be worse - you could be a trolley-dolly driven to cabin-aisle performances of Bolero in a cleaning pinny to liven up the early hours... Oh deary me!