Customer reviews

TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 19 March 2011
My PC, little more than 1½ years old, is not quite ready for replacement. Although using SATA drives exclusively internally, I had always been aware that no external SATA capability was provided.

Until very recently, there was no pressing need but there is now. I took on a task that required fast 2-way hard drive access and USB 2.0 is reasonably fast but only one way at a time, but it cannot match e-SATA on speed or offer fast, simultaneous read/write access that both e-SATA and USB 3.0 offer. With a need to update my desktop, there was only one answer and a single option that suited; there ia another option but my PC does not offer that type of slot. This is simple to install, has the drivers on disk, but not for Windows 7 which are easily found. It also offers some RAID capability if needed.

Not unduly expensive, it should fit most reasonably recent PCs and provide e-SATA should you need it.

Definitely recommended.
on 13 January 2011
Out of the box, the card doesn't work with Apple or xNix (I installed in to an Open Indiana machine) so you've got to flip the jumper.

On doing so, the drives are accessible, but the bios doesn't appear on POST and the operation is slower than walking in treacle; presumably it has reverted to a basic operation mode but without access to its BIOS there is no control over any settings (such as AHCI mode for example). On reverting my external drive connection to USB 2, I doubled my transfer time.

The manual with this card is minimal in explanation and it seems to be minimal in control.

I just wanted a basic controller card to handle drive IO while letting ZFS handle the redundancy. This card wasn't the answer.
on 30 June 2010
This item replaced a faulty card that had never worked. I was very pleased with the new card. It was easy to install into WHS system and worked first time without a hitch. Recommended.
on 24 September 2012
As far as I can tell this card does not support Port Multiplier. I purchased an Icy Box 4 drive bay to go with this card and I can only see one drive, not ideal!!