Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 29 June 2017
very good film great price and seller
on 16 June 2017
Excellent film and very unsettling...kept me absorbed to the end
on 14 June 2017
very good I liked it a lot
on 26 June 2017
excellent movie
on 8 June 2017
Captivating, interesting, moving.
on 22 August 2016
Kate Winslet is bloody brilliant.
on 5 September 2017
Saw this film a long time ago really good film I enjoyed it
on 6 August 2017
As expected
on 29 December 2012
Good film, enjoyed it very much and a great price. Cheaper than going to the cinema especialy as two of us watched it, and I have a copy
Thought I'd wait for the background noise on this film to die down and for it to be placed in the discount bins before purchasing The Reader.

I approached it as a film that might be about books. About reading books. As it happened I found this to be the case. Though many famous and not-so-famous books are referred to and read from, it was the fervour I recall from starting to read books in my teens, which was well rendered in the film.

That fervour is still with me even if I now punctuate my life with a book rather than be as consumed by them as I was at one time. These days my concern is for those who can not read. And for the lowlifes who allow them to pass before them and be paid for doing so. Teachers.

If I refrain from giving The Reader five stars this is due to a rather pedestrian direction. The twists in the story do keep you interested and the soundtrack is as cool as the characters and their environment but there should be no room for lethargy for the audience. None.

The subject of guilt is the film's main concern. Where it lies, who's to blame and what should be done with its discovery. Fascinating to watch and reflect upon. "What would you have done?" someone asks the judge in court. Silence screams over seventy years. Very effective in attacking the average. Nobody chooses to be left out. You are left out by those around you. Guilt is a dirty business. Murdering millions of innocent human beings IS humanity's lowest point. How can the law cope with system failure? It's not the mothers and fathers but the teachers who are to blame. And the prisons often pick-up their failure.

Black and white answers are for kiddies.