on 1 December 2010
Not having had an answerphone before we looked for one which was 'stand alone' since we did not want to replace our telephone (we liked its ringtone). So the Response 75+ seemed ideal - it was delivered next day and was quick to install. It has easy to understand installation instructions and it does everything it says on the tin! Easy to use, clear user instructions - we particularly like the way the voice repeats any changes you make to the settings to confirm them. The voice is clear and volume can be adjusted. It is good that you can turn the sound off, have personal or standard Outgoing messages, use 1471 or not, have a beep to indicate message or not, and alter the number of ring tones.
It does not have a battery so presumably would lose any recordings if power is off (although the online user-guide suggests it may store some), but how often does this happen?
22 Comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 November 2013
The BT Response 75+ was delivered in advance of the forecast delivery date. I use Super Saver delivery and find that this is usually the case. I bought it because although currently free, from 4th Jan 2014, the 1571 service will cost £1.75 per month (£21 per year) and I have found the service somewhat hit and miss to access calls. Also, my phone has no visual indication of received messages and when accessing the service, the voice menu often ignores my selection and just repeats itself. I have now cancelled the 1571 service.

The BT Response 75+ was very easy to set up, taking little more than 5 minutes. I downloaded the online User Manual before delivery and had familiarised myself with the set up procedure. It does come with a foldout instruction sheet providing basic set-up instructions, but for subsidiary features - such as remote access and VIP and silent mode operation - the instruction manual is required, although they are simple enough to activate. The time setting uses the 12-hour clock and a voice prompt in the machine clearly states AM or PM. Other settings are also confirmed with the voice prompt. Setting the answer (ring) delay - 4 rings is the default - is easy. The range is from 2 - 9 rings.

I have no criticisms to make, the unit operates satisfactorily; the OGM (Outgoing Message) is clear as are the received messages. The built-in OGM is concise and I see no reason to personalise it. The unit comes with the 1471 service enabled by default, and this will give you the precise date and time of each call, and telephone number unless the caller withholds it. It can be switched off if preferred but is obviously intended to enhance the overall function of the machine, without duplicating it in the machine itself. The BT Response 75+ only provides the day (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday etc) and time but not the date of each message received, so it is logical to assume that this is why the 1471 feature is provided and recommended.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 25 June 2015
Excellent answer machine - I bought it for my technophobe elderly parents and they found it very easy to get used to. It's very easy to set up, too - I disabled the 1471 mode as the message is a bit irritating (and unnecessary as their old BT Freestyle 6300 phone shows the time of call on its log); but it could be useful if your phone doesn't have a call log built in.

My parents previously used the 1571 service but I think the new charges for this are exorbitant, so that was one of the motivators for buying an answer machine - it's more user-friendly, too, as you can see at a glance whether you have any messages, and the audible alert is also helpful. One downside of not using 1571, though, is that callers can't leave a message if the line is in use; but I don't see this as a problem - they can always call back later ;-)

I bought this answer machine from Amazon's Warehouse Deals section and saved another tenner - an absolute bargain at that price (£21); can't see why this was returned as everything was still neatly wrapped - maybe the original customer just changed their mind without trying it.
on 9 January 2017
Excellent little machine. Doesn't take up much room and easy to set up and use. I have had to put an extra ASDL filter on to its cable(using a twin phone socket) to stop it interfering with my wireless broadband but this is very simple and works really well.
on 8 January 2017
Package was missing the AC adaptor. No backup battery. Any electric fail erases OGM, any programing and messages
on 27 April 2017
Volume is lower than same model it has replaced which was OK, but this is too low at the maximum setting. Otherwise no better and no worse than expected.
on 26 June 2017
Could never get hold of my niece as she works long hours and has her mobile switched off. She uses it and I can now leave messages for her.
on 26 April 2017
Easy to follow instructions so equally easy to programme. It does the job and the clarity of the messages is good.
on 28 March 2017
bought from sales warehouse and supposedly checked but some buttons didn't work. I received prompt refund
on 8 April 2017
Excellent product, had one years ago and it is still as good
today as it was then