Format: Audio CD|Change

on 3 February 2009
..while doing something else - as one does. Someone was being interviewed - drugs, self abuse - didn't pay any attention. And then some of the most extraordinary piano playing I have heard in a long time. I listened enthralled to the end. Heard a reference to a forthcoming CD and rushed to Amazon to order it.

Rhodes is a very talented player. His Bach and Chopin were a revelation - and I have heard both pieces so many times it is hard to believe I could find anything new - but Rhodes found it.

So - a strong recommendation. I shall be seeking out a live performance - and future CDs.

Thank you Radio 3.
66 Comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 February 2009
i bought this cd because a friend recommended it and i am so glad she did! i used to listen to classical music when i was younger...my mum was into it...but never paid that much attention. now listening to james play, it reminds me of my youth, being a young girl and not having to think about much in life. how things can be quite simple and easy to overcome. i can't believe i got all this from bach, chopin and james rhodes. a big thumbs up!
on 11 February 2009
This is an exceptional album - great pieces, passionate and innovative interpretation, and a true story of triumph for the pianist. Interestingly - I think the best bits are saved for the end.

I recently saw him play at the queen elizabeth hall at the southbank centre in London, and the recital was electric - there was a real buzz about what we were hearing.

Highly recommended.
on 27 October 2010
Brilliant pianist, James Rhodes's first album is packaged like an alternative indie album but perhaps we shouldn't judge a CD by its cover. What matters is how it sounds. And you'll find no complaints from me here. The music is sublime - you marvel at its beauty as much as you marvel at the playing.

If James Rhodes,attracts more young listeners to this kind of music, that can only be good, but die-hard Classical enthusiasts will find nothing to displease them either. He is more than a 'gateway' performer, opening the door to other more conventionally marketed performers. He is rapidly becoming one of the greats himself.

Also, follow him on Twitter at @JRhodespianist - he's a right laugh.
VINE VOICEon 23 May 2009
I too heard snatches of this album and Rhodes speaking about it on the radio.

I feared it may be another cross-over album given it's chart rank and 'rock positioning'.

But no, it's an album of great piano music and superb performances.

I can't recommend it highly enough.
on 15 June 2009
Heard an interview with him on Radio 3 which prompted me to buy the album and I'm glad I did. Good range of pieces, performed very well. Highly recommended.
on 8 May 2011
I am a big fan of Bach and James Rhodes interpretations are by far the best I have heard - ever. Played with such depth and feeling, i can feel the emotion of each note in my body. James Rhodes who I recently discovered on Radio 4, is not only a breath of fresh air in his style and approach to Piano, but he plays like an angel. The french suite on this cd is exquisite. If you love Piano then you absolutely must listen to Rhodes playing. My only fear is that he will become so popular I may never get tickets to see him.
on 15 August 2015
Fabulous - his music is so evocative, the pieces so beautiful many layered - James Rhodes plays with such emotion - I find more connections every time I listen to this.
on 3 September 2015
A first for me ... I like it. Going to buy another.
on 14 January 2016
Read it! Thoroughly recommended.