• Pure

Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 19 May 2017
I am a Pendragon fan but one who loves the original Pendragon sound so Pure is only 'okay' in comparison to what I consider are their classic albums i.e. Not of This World, The Masquerade Ouverture, Window of Life & The World. But I am a great fan of their wonderful music, Nick's guitar playing particularly (not such a great fan of his singing especially when he leaves it exposed) so I have just bought Pure and Believe. Can't get on at all with Passion and bought but didn't think much of 'Men Who Shouldn't Have Climbed Mountains They Weren't Capable of Climbing'.
This album is okay, for me the problem is the more Pendragon stray from their original recipe, the more ordinary they often sound. In many parts of Pure they sound like a another rock band but with a dodgy singer in tow. I intend to see them (again) at 229 Venue in London in late 2017 but doubt I will buy any new albums. Six + the Maximo Concerto DVD is a pretty good level of support, no?
on 7 April 2009
How many groups release consistently high quality albums over a 30 year period? How many produce their best album at the end of that 30-year period? Certainly not Yes, Genesis et al.

Step forward Pendragon with the best album of 2008 (IMHO). The album definetely has a harder sound (but it is hardly metal!!) The whole band, including new drummer Scott Higham, are in top form - so many fresh ideas. The guitar work is superb - really expressive - from delicate to aggressive riffing - very emotive solos. Every track is excellent - the quality just isn't allowed to drop.

So many great moments - that it is hard to pick out all the highlights but if I had to mention a couple:

Comatose a 17-minute epic split into 3 parts. Part one (View from the seashore) has from the 2nd to the 7th minute one of those moments where you have to stop the cd to replay what you just heard it is that good! I've been caught out by the kids playing air keyboards and guitars to this in the kitchen! The second part of Comatose (Space cadet) starts of with a simple guitar and drum and then you realise they are off on one again!

The Freak show is such a strong song - if there was any justice it would be a number 1 hit single for a month - great chorus - great lyrics though the lyrics here and throughout have an air of melancholy and even despair at times about them. But basically "Pure" is one constant highlight.

Pendragon have raised the bar higher than "Believe" their previous album - yet that album is also a strong one showing the band were still prepared to move on and take risks.

The only downside for me about this album is the fact I am now having to fill the small gaps in my Pendragon collection! The downside for Pendragon is ...how the hell do you follow "Pure"?
88 Comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 October 2009
After listening to the track "Indigo" on a Classic Prog free disc. I had to buy and sample the new album Pure. I was not disappointed, the opening track blew me away and give me high expectations for the rest of the album. I found the vocals were a little bit to be desired but musically i couldn't fault it. After a few more listens, I've got used to the vocals and bought 3 more albums from their back catalogue. Nick Barrett is one hell of a guitarist. Thank you Classic Rock again for pointing me in the right direction for some good decent prog.
on 20 May 2009
I'm afraid I cannot agree with Mr Liley. This album is stunning.

I've followed Pendragon since The Window Of Life album and they have always delivered albums of a consistantly high standard. With "Pure" they have simply excelled themselves.

Great songs, fine musicianship and a great production job. The album is a great credit to guitarist/vocalist/band leader Nick Barrett who must be one of the most overlooked musicians and songwriters in the business. If you don't believe me go and see them live.

This album is certainly heavier than previous releases and has much to offer to fans of bands such as Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater. I hope it gives Pendragon the success and respect that they deserve.
on 20 September 2013
I don't know what got me into Pendragon.
Well, actually, that's a complete lie.
I know full well, and it's not good. "Neo-Prog" Hmmm... I have always been a fan of Fish-era Marillion, had dabbled with Pallas, Mostly Autumn and to a lesser extent, Arena and had heard whisperings of Pendragon on the very few prog websites (OK - actually, maybe two) that I had happened across. So, using methods I care not to reveal, I downloaded a couple of tracks from websites we dare not mention, strictly on a "check them out" basis, you understand, and was intrigued from the off. This basically led to me ordering pretty much their entire back catalogue.
So my naughtiness has a redemption factor, I suppose.
Anyway: I'll start with a brief review of this album, because it's the first full album I heard by these guys.
Quite frankly I was blown away. Yes, there's a concept behind the album and yes, it is a departure (as I've come to find out) from the Pendragon of old, and yes, there are samples galore (Nick has come to love samples, as we find from the accompanying DVD video) but the musicianship... Wow.
Anybody who's been brought into the prog fold by the likes of Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree would enjoy this record.
The guitar work is quite frankly, outstanding. The solo toward the end of Indigo in particular, had me grinning and nodding in neo-prog-style wonder. Even lyrically (and in the past, Barrett has been criticised for his cheesy, somewhat "pithy" lyrics) there is much to be impressed with. The triptych that is Comatose is basically a tale of a bullied adolescence; The Freakshow (opening with, again, quite the solo) tells of years beyond. There is a maturity in the words that has gone beyond the prog-poetry of previous Pendragon.
Clive Nolan's keyboards are as usual, of a high standard, Pete's bass is as reliable as always and Scott Higham proves once again to be one of the best drummers in the genre.
The record in entirety is itself is heavier than previous offerings, which has put a lot of older fans off. No need, say I. This is the beginning of a new era of one of the most under-rated bands in the UK and one that should see the group win over more fans.
The DVD video is maybe superfluous to the whole package, but lends an interesting insight as to how a record comes together.
Excellent stuff.
on 21 August 2012
Wonderful album from a wonderful band, If ever a group earned the epithet unappreciated!

If you fancy a gamble - buy this and more importantly go and enjoy a gig.

Never have I seen a band so enjoy and deserve feedback like this from an audience!
on 16 December 2009
Fantastic album. Mix of heavy guitar riffs, soaring vocals, soothing mellow keyboards. Prog rock at its best. Even if you have the slightest interest in rock music, you need to get this album. The band are on top form.
on 21 January 2013
After their previous album, Believe, I gave this band a miss for quite a few years - seemed they'd tapped out their last few ideas and were just caughing on the fumes of generic pop-rock, and would never turn out anything else. So much for all those past masterpieces thought I to myself, thought I.

Wasn't even tempted by the good reviews this album got, or the press accolades and the Best Prog Album of the Year award from some fanzine or other.

Saw it going cheap on the Big River and thought I'd catch up.

All I can say is, they're back.

Well I'll say a little more in fact. Barret's got his vocals back on track, is finding all sorts of new things to do with his guitar, and the rest of the band have woken from torpor. Some decent long tracks here, the territory that works best for Pendragon, each carved out and structured immaculately from beginning to end. I was beginning to think that Pallas has wrestled back the King Prog crown with their sensational return to the scene, but once again they must take a deferential second place, as they did back in 1982 (Jewel/Sentinel....check em out yourself and see which band wins both then and now).
on 3 March 2014
When I purchased this album it was a choice between Passion Pendragons most recent offering or Pure there 2008 album.
Upon listening to both I decided to go for Pure as it is by far the better of the two. The band has changed their sound slightly tying to sound more heavy in style. With Pure they have tried using a harder edged sound with the vocals and some of the guitar playing which just about comes of and the result is a very competent piece of work containing some of the trademark sounds that Pendragon are best known for. Stand out tracks for me are "Comatose", "Freak Show" and the beautiful "Its Only Me" Well worth a place in any prog rock music collection. Passion however maybe a step too far as at one point Nick Barrett breaks into a rap which thankfully is saved by the beautiful guitar being played over the top. There is one really good track and that is "This Green and Pleasant Land" otherwise the vocals and some of the guitar playing style are a bit disappointing for such a talented and resourceful band.
on 11 February 2014
My album of 2008 and well and truly deserved. After the slightly patchy 'Not Of This World' and the different approach of 'Believe', 'Pure' came right out of the blue and pretty much flawed me from first hearing. A more modern, darker sound on certain songs, with in your face guitars, big punchy production, whilst still retaining that trademark Pendragon'ness about it. All 13+ minutes of 'Indigo' is just brilliant, with Barretts trademark stunning guitar soloing at the 8 minute mark and Clive Nolan's excellent keys throughout. The 3 part epic 'Comotose' is quite excellent, 'The Freakshow' is shorter, features another superb emotive Barrett solo and turns into one of the more atypical Pendragon tracks on the whole album. Seriously, Everytime I hear this disc, my heart races along and I get new pleasures everytime. Utterly essential listening in my book and along with 'The Masquerade Overture' the best album of their career, and long may it last.