Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£11.99

on 17 January 2009
yet accessible to most listeners. At first I thought it seemed a bit expensive, but when I realised that the 2 CDs come in the end covers of a hardcover book over 400 pages long, with comprehensive notes & lyrics in English, Arabic, Hebrew, French, Spanish, Catalan & Italian, complete with many colour reproductions of old illustrations of Jerusalem as well as the various musicians,I wondered if they made any profit at all. The music is varied & the singers & musicians perform beautifully, while the sound quality is as good as any I have heard. As an indirect appeal for peaceful coexistence between Israel & a future Palestine, it is also extremely moving, especially at the end when an Egyptian tune I knew ages ago as "Ya banat Iskandariyya" & also as a completely different Turkish song, turns out to be perhaps one of the oldest surviving traditional tunes, with different texts in Arabic, Hebrew, Greek, & Ladino (no, not Latin)which are juxtapositioned as a conclusion.I thoroughly recommend it.
on 19 April 2009
The SACD surround recordings are superb, the acoustic of the recording venues has been captured extremely well, it does not overwhelm but makes you feel like you are there.
The selection of music and other materiel is eclectic in the extreme, fortunately the 400 page hard back book that forms the SACD case is very well written in 8 languages, and very informative. Giving not only the background to the music but also an overview of Jerusalem's history from 19th century BCE to the current day.
How good is this SACD? I was loaned it by a friend last night & have my credit card in my hand as I type, to order my copy today.
on 21 November 2012
I'm a great fan of Jori Savall, and am increasing my collection of his oeuvre. However, this one did not quite tick my boxes. In light of haviing bought his istanbul and the sublime gate just recently, this was effectively a disappointment. I found the accompanying weighty book quite unneccesary, it being a cse of the music speaks for itself
on 18 December 2014
Beautiful as usual, from this lot. Go on, buy it !!! I love all of his stuff and this is up with his best.
on 7 July 2014
Love it.
on 14 February 2013
It takes us on a great musical journey through the middle east.
Through music one can achieve peaceful coexistence !
on 13 February 2017
Arrived quickly and as described. Thank you.