Customer reviews

Here's To Romance
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 20 August 2006
My taste in vocalists encompasses those with total control over their personal frequency range, diction, and quality of expression. In less musically snobby terms, I like the most recognisably easy to listen singers such as Sinatra, Ella F, Doris D, P Como, M Monro, T Bennett etc.

I accidentally enjoyed Buddy Clarks "Love Somebody" duet on a disc that I had purchased to listen to Doris Day. Consequently, I sent for THIS disc through Amazon.

On listening, I was intially amazed that I had NEVER HEARD of this guy. His voice came over to me as on a parr with the names I mentioned in my previous "recognisably easy to listen to" list....... effortless control, unforced projection, etc etc.

The spiel on the accompanying disc literature ended my puzzlement concerning my ignorance of this chap by indicating his death in a plane crash in 1949. The spin then, interestingly, goes on to question his potential influence had he survived. It is even suggested that he would have been up there with Crosby, Damone et al....

The reason that I have rated this disc as 4 stars should tell you that I concur with this view and that I reccommend a GREAT voice meandering through a well chosen mixture of solo's and collaborations.