Format: DVD|Change

on 7 January 2010
Taare Zameen Par is honestly one of the most beautiful films i have ever seen. I have watched this about five times in Hindi. I only know english and didn't understand a word, but the film has such a wonderful meaning, despite the different language the meaning is the same. I am Dyslexic and struggled through school not being regongnised, all i wanted to do like Ishaan was draw, paint and create, and i was fasinated by the colours and things around me. When i look at Ishaan i see myself. It wasn't until an art teacher believed in me that i learnt i wasn't stupid and began to believe in myself. This film has a great meaning to me. I am overjoyed that it is now available to by in uk. I bought it as soon as i knew. An amazing film
on 19 December 2009
"Taare zameen par" (Stars on Earth) tells the story of a wonderfully imaginative, creative, sweet boy whose undetected dyslexia leaves him suffering the wrath of hostile parents and teachers, leaving him on the brink of complete psychological breakdown. It is only when a sensitive temporary art teacher enters his life that his tormented life is effectively saved. Without giving too much away, this film is made with great depth and sensitivity and it shines a light on an all-too-familiar trait of Indian society (and of others, of course) and challenges the obsession which parents might have of forcing children to a mould of their own making in the obsessive pursuit of "success" while completely ignoring the individual and unique character, abilities and needs of their child. Both heart-wrenching and heart-warming, it is hard to imagine anyone not liking this film - excellent!
on 16 October 2011
There are rules in Bollywood cinema. You must have a gripping love story - this movie hasn't (at least not the usual romance). Kids in a leading role usually don't work. This movie doesn''t care.

The hero is Ishan, a little boy, a dreamer and gifted artist. But he also has a huge problem; he suffers from dyslexia, and no one recognizes it. His parents have no idea why he's unable to properly get through the third grade of primary school. His exercise books are full of red marks, and he's also unable to master mathematics (which probably means that he's suffering from dyscalculia, too), opposite to his brother who's the unrivaled school hero of the family. When Ishan skips an entire school day and makes said brother write a fake excuse, his stern father has enough; he hauls the kid off to a boarding school where the authorities are expected to finally teach him discipline.

Ishan - separated from those he loves and still left alone with his problems - slips into a deep depression. His teachers are about to give up on him when one day an arts teacher takes over for a moved colleague... a fresh breeze in the tight routine of the school. Ram Shankar Nikumbh - said stand-in teacher - is alarmed by Ishan's silence and palpable despair. He takes a thorough look into Ishan's exercise books and immediately feels like looking into a mirror: as a kid, he was dyslexic himself, and of course he decides to help the boy.

The film was produced and directed by Aamir Khan (one of the most impressive actors in India cinema), and he also plays the role of "Nikumbh Sir", the innovative and devoted arts teacher. He is courageous enough to leave the entire first half of "Like Stars On Earth" entirely to the boy who plays Ishan (unbelievably moving and talented: Darsheel Safary). Nikumbh only makes his first appearance in the second half (imagine a Hollywood star who'd dare to keep away from the screen 50 % of a film...). And then we have the chance to follow the journey of both, man and boy together: Nikumbh develops new, creative methods to teach Ishan what he was unable to learn so far and lures him out of his desperate shell.

I found "Like Stars On Earth (Taare Zameen Par)" after watching my first movie ever with Aamir Khan ("Fanaa", which left me very curious of his work). I shared TZP with my Youngest who loved it immediately and said: "Ishan is like me." And he's very right, in a way; His problem ist not (mainly) dyslexia, but he often lives in his dreams like Ishan does, and I bitterly recognized many of his parents' harsh reactions and helplessness as my own. When I watched TZP a second time, I did it with Hubby (who shares the unique gift of wholeheartedly loving and supporting kids with Nikumbh), and the only thing I'll say about this evening is that we both needed a lot of tissues.

Aamir Khan certainly doesn't shy away from emotions, and he repeats his message again and again: "Every child is special. Give them a chance to find their own way. Take a closer look." He may get a bit "preachy" from time to time, but honestly - I don't care.There's never any false note that might bother me; the whole thing gets deeply under your skin and right into your heart, and it rings gloriously true. This movie - showered with awards and a most unexpected huge success worldwide, btw. - is a true Must Watch for parents, kids and teachers, and it even changed the attitude of school authorities in India. There are training programs for teachers now how to deal with dyslexia and problems of that kind, and the screenwriter said in an interview that he had phone calls from shaken, weeping fathers who finally understood that their kids were neither stupid nor stubborn, let alone lazy.

Get the DVD, take three hours of time and enjoy a great experience. This movie is nothing less than a marvel.
on 4 April 2016
This is a really wonderful film.It is about a little boy who has unrecognised dyslexia and how he gets labelled and misunderstood especially by his ambitious and strict father who has him sent off to a boarding school where one day a interim teacher who uses more creative and imaginative ways of teaching recognises the boys difficulties and also his artistic potential.It sounds like it might be a bit cheesy but it really isn't,it is done with great heart and shows the real pain and anguish of the young boy to the point he contemplates suicide.It really is a film full of heart and soul and I would recommend to watch it with many younger or older children to get across the message that we all have talent and potential in some area,it is just a question of recognising it.
on 9 June 2010
A "must see" film - if you can't cope with subtitles, the dvd gives you the option of seeing it dubbed in English (although I much prefer the Hindi version with English subtitles).

A dreamer of a boy, the son of pushy parents, is failing at school. The first half of the film sees him gradually becoming more and more withdrawn, driven away from the real world by the harsh and ignorant behaviour of the adults around him. Finally, just as you despair for him, the right teacher comes along.

This film is thought-provoking and thought-changing. The central performance by Darsheel is astounding and I have never admired Aamir Khan more, both for his direction in eliciting that performance and for his generosity in throttling back his own performance to ensure that it is the boy and not Aamir who is always at the centre of the film.

This is a film to watch again and again.
on 7 April 2010
I really loved this movie, This movie shows how a good teacher can change a students life who is suffering from Dyslexia syndrome. I will recommend this movie to any parents who push their children to study what they want rather than what their child particularly wanted to do in their life. Also this movie in English language as well which is huge benefit.
on 9 May 2010
What a brilliant film.
I purchased this film for my grandaughter after reading international reviews about the kids in the film.
Now its favourite for the whole family. I have purchased more of the film for my family friends.
on 24 May 2015
I really liked this film, but it only gets 4 stars because the rest of my family weren't so keen. It's an interesting story that I think reflects some of Aamir Khans personal passions, it deal with education and marginalisation of children who have learning problems-which makes it sound dull but it isn't. It's the story of a little boy who is trapped by dyslexia. As an ex teacher I really liked the way they used animation to show his relationship with letters and numbers, I think this would be a good film to shop parts of to students. As an art teacher I didn't like the wacky art teacher stereotype, but I can live with it because I think Khans heart is really in the right place with this. Not much music/dancing/romance but something different and sweet.
on 10 July 2016
Too long for me and too many stereo types, Bollywood style acting. I didn't enjoy as much as I thought I would. It's a great subject a missed opportunity. This box contains a subtitled dvd and an audio one and bonus material.
on 8 January 2010
This film is originally called "Taare Zameen Par" and was made in India in 2007. Essentially, it's about how each child is special.

It's based on how school system in most countries is quite limited to educating children academically, and how those who aren't academically inclined, through choice or with learning difficulties, are looked down upon, sidetracked or treated negatively.

I was amazed that this subject was tackled in India. Bollywood singing and dancing films are fun but rarely tackle societal problems. This film couldn't be more different!
I have a nephew who has dyspraxia & is also slightly dyslexic. Watching this film made me understand him so much more and I even found myself crying tears of joy.

Please consider watching this film whether you need to or not - you will come away enlightened and with an improved insight in how whether we live in the UK, India, or anywhere in the world, as human beings we are really all so very similar.

PS: Aamir Khan, the protagonist, has just released another film on xmas day 2009 called "3 Idiots" which is a "growing up into university/college" version of Like Stars on Earth. It's breaking all box office records and I'm off to see it. It's showing in selected cinemas in London.