Customer reviews

1,074
Format: DVD|Change

on 7 October 2009
You will never get too old to watch Mary Poppins. It's an absolute classic and the best Disney film ever released! I could watch this again, and again, and again....
on 11 February 2011
As many have already said, Mary Poppins is practically perfect in every way. I used to watch it with my greatgrandmother, humming the tunes before I could even speak. Nevertheless, watching it again as an adult, I realised how people new to the movie might find it lacking in certains aspects we've come to take for granted (say, visual effects, animation, scenery, location, Dick Van Dyke's accent). Those are minor failures here. For those of us who grew up with movie, who'd watch it again and again, there's never been any better St. Paul's on film than the on the background of "Feed the birds", nor has there ever been any lushier animation than that of "Jolly Holiday". As Mr. Banks would put it: "With tuppence of paper and string, you can have your own set of wings". We don't need expensive 3D in order to fly. It's all here. If you dive into it with an open mind and a child's heart, you'll have the time of your life. Proof? My grandma didn't speak a single word of English. She always laughed at the right times. That's Mary's magic.
on 2 March 2006
Mary Poppins (40th Anniversary edition) is truly a classic movie and a real treat for Disney fans, to experience watching and reliving the magical moments of Disney at your home.
What make it a great movie? An all round cast featuring Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke (with his rather dodgy London accent). A great setting based in a dark and gloomy London. Not forgettinng Disney's trademark of musical songs. Remember songs like A Spoonful of Sugar, that just a simple and nice worded song. A good mix of animation , which is pretty amazing. The extra featured are excellent with rare and exclusive interviews with Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke. For the kids, you can sang along to the songs featured in the movie.
The perfect treat for Dinsey fans and a good collector item.
on 24 May 2009
I bought this as a treat for my 7 year old daughter as she wanted to see it on our return from Disney World. I was really surprised how much she and her 3 year old sister enjoyed it--they wanted to watch it daily! I especially enjoyed the chimney sweeps. Did find it hard to cope with Dick van Dykes accent though!!
on 17 June 2010
What a bargain from Amazon! I never really tire of watching such outstanding musicals, especially in their re-engineered formats. This is a steal. Buy all of these precious items while they are available - Amazon has a whole catalogue of them. Things like this are just not made today.
on 1 February 2005
I already have this edition. Its a fantastic film that takes you back to your childhood. The actual film is everything and more that you remember. The extra's that come with the DVD are interesting and informative. There is a lot of unknow information that I found fascinating. Anyone who has enjoyed Mary Poppins in the past will love this 40th anniversay edition.
on 8 April 2009
Fabulous two disc edition of this timeless classic.
An absolute must for any collection.
on 14 May 2010
"Mary Poppins" have been my favourite movie from the very first time I saw it back in the 60-ties when it was made. Though I'm somewhat older today I still enjoy the songs, the dancing and the warmth it gives to your heart. A true family film - for young and old!
on 1 May 2012
I bought this version after reading the reviews on all the other versions and deciding there was probably not much in it, but at least this was a later version and at a good price. We haven't watched disc 2 yet so can't comment on that, but the movie quality is as good as we expected. I won't comment on the plot as this is either a story you know or not. If you don't know it there are plenty of other people who comment on how lovely/innocent it is, or alternatively how unrealistic/naive it is. That's just personal taste - but I don't get the people who criticise it for being unrealistic - it's meant to be. Anyway, the only thing about the disc is that volume is a little low. We had to put our TV up to 12 to get anything decent in terms of volume - but that's hardly a problem is it?
on 17 May 2014
I have loved this film for many years. Firstly having a VHS recording of it, and then a DVD. This Blu-ray recording is something else. Crystal clear, with perfect sound. I play it on my 47" Panasonic TV, and it is just great