• Gaze

Price:£6.99

on 19 June 2017
I love the Beautiful South and was not let down by this album. Class
on 27 March 2017
Good album. Not quite as good as some but still worth getting.
on 13 May 2017
Another great CD form BS
on 19 February 2004
I cannot believe the Amazon reviewers description of Gaze. Granted, there are some very poppy tunes on it but that applies to most albums. The current trend for boyband fluff is ruining the music market. At last, this is a REAL ALBUM with REAL MUSIC from a REAL BAND and written by REAL WRITERS. Where TBS really score is on songs such as Life VS The Lifeless which is commercial based but hauntingly beautiful. Spit it all Out is a return to such classics as Let Love Speak Up itself, Prettiest Eyes, Look What I found in My Beer and on and on. Alison Wheelers voice is beautiful but a little less harsh that Jacqui Abbott and the album suffers for this, however not a lot. She does a great job. Heaton Rotheray pepper their songs with wonderful lines, as always. "Lips dont miss the wish for a kiss" is but one from the amazing Spit it all Out. I know that South fans argue about which is the best album and this ranks up there along with 0898, Blue is the colour, Welcome, Quench and Paint it Red. I cant call it except to say that there is nothing else in the car at the moment and neither has there been since October when Gaze was released. I like it more every day. I even bought a second one for the house. I rest my case. Gaze is wonderful and the South roll on. May it last forever.
on 31 July 2004
This is the 1st album they have released with new singer Alison. I saw them live in Bristol and like a lot of people,was sceptical that she would be able to fill the slot left by Jackie. How wrong could I be she is a fine singer and was probably the best concert I have ever been to. The concert was promoting ther new album GAZE which in my opinion one of the best they have ever done with perhaps the exception of BLUE IS THE COLOUR. Some catchy tunes some haunting melodies and as always some deep meaningful songs. I love it. I love TBS and Alison is fantastic . Don't let anybody say different,.
on 20 October 2003
Well you can tell Paul Heaton is settled down and happy at last!The last two albums, Gaze and Painting it Red whilst superb were still alcohol ridden and melancholic. Thank God for love as Gaze is their finest since 0898. With a country bias they have never been so melodic, they have perfected their harmonies and the lyrics? Well lets just say they dont get better. New female singer Alison Wheeler swifty puts her mark on the album with the stunning "Get Here" - a contender for their next single and a sure fire top 10.
This album has mass appeal and may shut up the many anti-BS people out there - its the sort of album you'd put on to impress a first date, you'd buy your Mum it for Christmas and its a winner. Their back and by God their good.
on 16 July 2004
Following Painting it Red was always going to be a hard job. A collection of 19/20 (depending on the version you bought!) songs which all had their own particular charm that was amazing... No wonder they took a long time releasing 'Gaze'. Of course, there's also the issue of a new female singer. I was sceptical myself, being a massive fan of Jacquline, but Alison is fantastic. Different, certainly, but she adheres to the true TBS ethic. The album itself has catchy tunes, deeply moving lyrics, and Heaton/Rotherhay's classic unbiased viewpoint on life (or at least, it relects my viewpoint...!)
Fantastic album, a must buy for all TBS fans and anyone who values the lyrical content of a song. Especially listen to Pretty (Tk 1), Let go with the Flow (Tk6), Get Here (Tk 5) and of course the fabulous single Just a few things that I ain't (Tk2). I bought this two days ago and have already listened to it 8 times!!!
on 28 October 2003
I didn't really know what to expect from The Beautiful South when rumours of this new album began. Would there be a shift in direction now that Paul Heaton has a baby girl, would he be more optimistic? Slightly. The music is probably superior to their last studion album (PIR), the lyrics as poetic as ever but it's harder to pick stand out tracks. Why? Because they all stand out.
If I had to choose I'd go with the beautifully crafted The Gates, the hilarious 101% Man and their next single Let Go With The Flow should be radio friendly enough to generate a top 20 hit.
Great Album, nice new music
Once again the Beautiful South have put out a great album jam packed with jaunty foot taping tunes with some deep and serious lyrics.

Awaited with some trepidation by fans after the replacement of Jacqueline Abbot with Alison Wheeler as the new female vocalist, our fears were washed away as Wheeler steps almost seamlessly into Abbot's shoes. She fits right in with the rest of the group, and it's business as usual.

Heaton and Rotheray have once again penned a magnificent set of songs. From the sarcastic `Pretty', the wonderfully wry `Just a few things that I ain't' through the witty 101% man to the album closer `The Last Waltz', we are presented with a series of songs we can all relate to, about real people and written with a dry sense of humour. As well as great lyrics, well delivered, there is some great music on display, the band were on form when this was recorded. They still sound like they enjoy what they do, and that's the way it should be.

I'm not sure how they've fared in terms of sales, but personally I think that artistically the Beautiful South have gone from strength to strength over their last few albums. More power to them!

Recommended to all fans of The Beautiful South, and anyone who enjoys well crafted meaningful songs with a jaunty air.
on 29 October 2003
This isn't the same type af album as the previous two, yet becuase of that it offers something different.
I also agree that 'Loneliness' should not have been hidden away.
The album grows on you, till in the end you can't get the thing out of your mind. Thee are some superb tracks on the album, really outstanding stuff. 'Let Go With the Flow' which is the next single is a realy old style song, the sort of single the South would have out out in the early 1990's. It's really catchy if a little corny.
The sinnging is more eveningly spread out which helps the album, we've thankfully returned to Paul and Dave singing together on tracks.
This album is a grower, you will not be dissopointed. It's another quality collection of superb sings from The South.