on 7 September 2009
This book does a good job of explaining the dynamics behind infant sleep and is a good stepping stone for understanding what might be keeping your baby from napping. The solutions it advances are not quick easy solutions, but give parents structure for setting up routines and lifestyles that are conducive for naptime.
on 5 October 2012
Like mine. I've been extremely diligent in my adherence to the methods in the book. The Pantley pull off method worked for a few weeks but now it actually causes her to wake up more. The only thing it has managed to do is create an extremely grumpy baby if her routine at night isn't exact and perfect. It means we can't go out after 6.30pm or we must be back home by that time. She has also taken to crying in her sleep which she did not do before. Although the author makes mention that it may take some time, I think 6 months without improvement means that this just doesn't work for us.
on 12 May 2013
Excellent book a very gentle approach with lots of practical idea's to help, a truly cry free approach. I would recommend this highly for anyone looking for thoughtful ideas to help your baby nap.
on 22 June 2015
Really good book, I'm glad I got it. Many of the tips work perfectly for me and my dd. It's gentle in approach and no crying! :-D (which I thought would be impossible with my LO)
on 6 August 2013
I loved it! The author is great and has helped me very much!!! It made me understand that everything depends on the specific family and nothing is fixed!
on 12 May 2013
Lots of useful tips especially for first time mum whose heart would break if her baby cries. Lots of useful tips and advice on babies sleeping habits. I've learned a lot from the book how to gently teach my baby good sleeping habits. Thanks to this book my 5 months old boy is sleeping in his cot without any "baby gadgets" and no crying!
on 11 March 2010
We don't believe that crying is good for a baby. If you look into the history of this idea you'll find that it has no basis in science (in fact the opposite is true as a baby's stress hormones rise when it is crying). So, faced with a baby whose sleep patterns had suddenly changed from sleeping quite well to waking every hour or so, we didn't know what to do. We came on this book and its companion (The No Cry Sleep Solution) purely by chance when looking for something else. We decided to risk buying them both and I have to say this woman is a genius. Most of her ideas are really simple to use, but you have to keep your eye on the detail (for example when she talks about taking the baby off the nipple when its drowsy we missed the next bit that said to put your finger under baby's chin and gently close the mouth). So if you try something and it doesn't work, go back to the book and check again. This is a great book for people like us who believe there has to be a better way than 'controlled crying' or other such theories. It's not a book for people who are into convenience parenting.
on 22 September 2013
I ordered this book, out of desperation for my toddler's nap time problem, hoping that this book can tell me something I didn't read or try before, but nothing was new really. The book focuses more on babies than toddlers, although it tells ,how important a nap is in a child's life aged between newborn to 5 years olds from every developmental view. And all about scientific explanation why they need this sleep which just make me more furious about any solution for my little one's nap time problem. So, this book wasn't too helpful for me.
on 27 June 2014
Lots of interesting and relevant facts and some good ideas. However if you have a little baby with a big personality, you may go crazy if you're trying to eliminate all crying, especially if the reason you bought this book is over tired-ness!
on 13 December 2009
As a first time mother, I was delighted to stumble across this book. Firstly, because when I read the title my heart sank.I WAS on the verge of implementing a cry it out solution to getting my baby to sleep all night, and have a nights sleep myself, when i saw this book on amazon.

I have been following Gina fords timetables for sleeping and weaning to the letter. however i just couldnt bring myself to let my baby cry it out.

I was so happy when i found this book, as my daughter had only mild sleep associations which needed to be rectified. This book was the first experience i had of any one telling me there is life outside of the cry it out solution. so many books i have read on childcare seem to say your a bad parent for dying your child a good nights sleep by not sorting out sleep PROBLEMS.

i LIKE THIS BOOK BECAUSE IT TALKS MORE ABOUT SOLUTIONS YOU CAN ACTUALLY PUT INTO PRACTICE AND THEY WORK!

It takes time and patience, but there is something in this book that can help everyone, it is not a one size fits all solution. its more a guide that will help you find what will help your baby