Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 February 2009
This is a brilliant re-issue & now I own it I can't understand why it's taken so long!

I've been listening to Roy Ayers since about 1978,when "Running Away" was
being played in all the decent disco's & I was going out wearing mohair jumpers & tapered trousers thinking I was really cool!

Anyway this album originally released in 1971 has until now been somehow under my listening radar (& Roy Ayers compilers ?)as apart from Hummin' & to a degree "Pretty Brown Skin" the rest of the tracks are undiscovered gems for me -plus the CD has a bonus track "He Gives Us All His Love" from the movie "Cold Turkey" (a lovely mellow song with superb vocals from Roy)only previously released as a single.

If you prefer Roy Ayers when he is playing the vibes/jazz (before he went a little more "commercial" at times) backed by superb musicians including in the early 70's his regular electric piano player Harry Whitaker with the tracks comprising a mixture of vocal & instrumental this is for you.

My only "complaint" is that the tracks aren't long enough (the downside of vinyl back in the day).

For example "I Can't Help Myself" (3.07) which is really cooking by the end with Roy's vocals beginning to get "out there" only for the track to fade out leaving you wanting it to go on & on....

But don't let this/me put you off "less is more" so they say & I am strongly recommending that you go out & buy this-no hesitation!
on 18 February 2010
This Roy Ayers Ubiquity album is like gold dust, in terms of vinyl, it had a massive reputation amongst the rare groove crew, compared to all of his albums, as it was SO RARE £100 plus. Wow, when it came out on CD, I could at last hear it. It is good, and has those classic tunes are good, but it does not, for me surpass other Roy Ayers' albums, i.e. yes it is so rare, but doesn't mean it's better than the rest of the output. So, in a nutshell, this album is more raw edge i.e. pre- Mystic Voyage, and less soulful than the thereafter albums by the man himself. With that said, it would be a big mistake not to purchase this album for those classic licks of Roy Ayers that gave this this album it's reputation in the first place.
on 8 April 2015
Anything by Roy you gotta have it.