on 19 July 2011
I originally bought 2 pairs of these trousers in January 2011 for my DofE expeditions; but they have - since due to their comfort and surprising stylishness - found themselves in my daily rotation.

Let's start from the beginning, I have an low waistline to leg length ratio, so had to shorten the waistline myself; but don't take this as a blemish to the trousers, this is a procedure I have done to almost all of the trousers in my wardrobe. The waistline itself is elasticated and has a total of ~10cm free play without losing tightness, which adds some much needed comfort when scrambling over limestone boulders. There is also some extra length in the hem (where your walking boots go) so that they can be lengthened if necessary.

The material is very hard wearing, and has survived scree runs, barbed wire, attack from thick thorny vegetation, river crossings, stray knives, stabbings from tent pegs, and the odd inquisitive sheep, without showing a scratch. Pen ink, however, will stain the lighter colour trousers - although, with repeated washing, the stain will fade. Mud and blood is no problem for the trousers, and washes out in a normal wash with normal washing powder. With repeated washing, the fabric will not bobble.

The legs are wide and roomy, meaning that they are not constrictive at all. Even when wet, the trousers are comfortable enough to walk extended distances (~16 km) in.

Pockets........... It's fair to say these trousers have "enough" pockets - they have 9 very generous pockets. About A5 (paper) size, they're definitely large enough for a point & shoot camera (in fact, each pocket could fit 2 cameras - 3 if you're good at Tetris).

Zips - I know it's an obscure review topic, but zips are the silent killer of most trousers. The Regatta Action Trousers, however, have very good quality zips. They are generic, but are YKK quality, and the plastic zip strap is chunky - meaning that the teeth are very unlikely to collide and be ripped out.

The bottom line - You can't ask for more from these trousers, they look smart, are extremely rugged & comfortable, and can be easily tailored by anyone with a sewing needle and thread.
11 Comment| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 August 2015
These trousers are a very tight fit, not only in terms of the waist but also under the crotch. They seem to be well made for such an economically priced product, with plenty of pockets, but I couldn't find a size that actually fitted my body. The next size up was too large around the waist but still a bit tight elsewhere. I have to confess that finding trousers for someone like me, tall and skinny, is difficult these days. Manufacturers seem to assume everyone is somewhat large around the waist. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
on 4 April 2017
These used to be fantastic trousers, with plenty of securely zipped pockets. Unfortunately, Regatta have now decided, to lose that most useful part of the design - the zips.

Only the back pockets, and the leg pocket now have a zip. The triple pockets at the front, two of which had zips have gone. Where are you now supposed to securely stow loose change or your wallet.

I have however, now found an alternative - Champion Mens Wenlock Trousers - These have 6 zipped pockets, and a zipped cargo pocket.

Sorry Regatta - You simplified the design to cut the manufacture costs by too much....
on 10 January 2017
As other reviewers have commented, the trousers delivered are not the trousers advertised. The photos on Amazon are of the old version of these trousers. I know because I am currently wearing the old version which I bought in a local shop which was closing down at a very cheap price a few months ago, and with which I have been very impressed, hence buying another pair. I decided to take a chance with Amazon, even though they were likely to be wrongly marketed. The trousers received have fewer pockets and fewer of them have zips (the zips were important to me). Also, the material seems thinner. I could have returned them, but they are just about alright, though not in the same league as the previous version. But, Regatta, why would you reduce the quality of your product? Odd business strategy. I won't be buying Regatta again.
on 15 August 2014
After some problems with delivery I contacted the firm and with the help of their customer service department I received two pair.
I did have to order long legs length because standard not available.
With some of that iron on stuff I shortened them and the are light and comfortable to wear.
Will update should they disappoint in the future.

Worn them for walking the dog had to get long legged ones so used iron stuff failed at least on one pair and I had to re-do them.
The other thing is they have three pockets at the front all on top of each other so use them for separating stuff and only fill as if you have only one. they will come un-stitched as mine did if you try to stuff them with more stuff.
They do have a rather uncomfortable crutch stitching but eventually got used to them.

In conclusion work OK but will try something dearer next time.

Actually not really worth purchasing, The pockets split and they are uncomfortable in all the wrong places.
Now sent to be turned into rags for charity.
on 7 July 2015
I found these trousers a relatively good fit for the size I bought. They are made from a quite thin material, which is what I was after.
I have two issues with them though so I have knocked off a couple of stars.
Issue one- The loops for a belt are really quite narrow so not many of my belts fit.
Issue two- The rear pockets are cavernous but the zip up opening is actually quite narrow. I've got my hand stuck in them before.
So I you have very small hands and plan on using no belt (or a very thin one) these could be perfect for you. Personally I wouldn't buy them again.
on 22 May 2014
I received these very promptly in the post. The trousers are excellent quality and are sewn together very solidly. The pockets are ideal for carrying items around, especially as many of them have zips on. There is plenty of space in the legs so that I can bend easily and they fit nicely around the waist so I don't have to wear braces or a belt, although you can if you want.

These are excellent quality and the price is extremely low. I have paid far more for trousers which are not as good. I will recommend this seller and trousers to all my family who require good sturdy trousers. They are smart enough to wear for casual or for work purposes.
on 17 June 2013
These trousers, at about twenty pounds with postage, are just what I needed for walking across fields and woods with our dogs. Tough enough yet lightweight and comfortable. More pockets than I know what to do with, some with zips which is handy for keys, cards and cash. Colour, a nice, presentable shade of grey. Well made for the price.

Slight niggle for me is the lack of belt and the narrowness of the belt loops which probably means a hunt for a belt that fits. Okay, they probably don't need a belt to keep them from falling down but I've worn one for so long it seems strange. If loops are included, why don't they make them a decent width?

Notwithstanding this, I would happily order another pair or recommend them to a friend - with enthusiasm if I find a belt!
on 14 June 2016
These are the best cargo trousers I have bought. They are much better than Craghoppers and Karrimor mainly because the stitching and fabric is better quality. These trousers have 5 zipped pockets which is amazing and make them ideal for travel. You need zipped pockets to keep your valuables safe from theft. I paid the bargain price of £7 plus £2.50 when I bought these. I would buy them again without hesitation.
on 25 May 2017
I have used Regatta trousers for many years and have always paid more for them than I have here. The quality is the same as my last two or three pairs. All pockets that had zips on my previous pairs are also on these. The fit is good and the zips are of good quality.... delighted with my purchase.