on 5 September 2014
Very good recording.
on 30 December 2016
I’ve been puritanically monogamous towards the Grumiaux / Haebler performance of the Trout from August 1966 ever since it came into my life in the mid-Eighties. This week’s advent of the Gilels / Amadeus Quartet from 1975 is the first time I’ve ever listened to a bar from another version. It’s freaked me out. The newcomer is much better recorded than my sweetheart. As others have noted, Gilels / AQ is less fun on the whole than other versions – it’s not wrong to describe it as being somewhat symphonic in pith; this, I can appreciate and do. Whereas it’s such a joy to hear Gilels in any repertoire, I wouldn’t necessarily say the same of Norbert Brainin, first violinist of the Amadeus Quartet. His wobble is an acquired taste. His first ‘fingernail on a blackboard’ experience comes at 2’42” - 2’54” in the first movement of D 667 and it does not stop there.

Brainin is in much better form in the 1958 recording of Death and the Maiden even if I cannot hear anything special about the performance per se. The early stereo recording is somewhat thin and the famous slow movement lacks a climatic moment, such as one finds with the Julliard Quartet.

To my way of thinking, Arthur Grumiaux v Norbert Brainin is a non-contest, as much as I enjoyed this affair. Four stars for this D 667, one less for the Quartet in D Minor.
on 9 February 2014
This is a beautiful piece of music either as a piece to seriously listen to or as background sound. I heard a snippet on Classical FM and had to buy it. I would recommend it any music lover.
on 19 August 2015
A top class performance
on 6 April 2013
The first piece of classical music I heard was this.....I was very young at the time, yet I have never had it in my collection. This interpretation is wonderful and shows Shubert at his best.
on 14 January 2013
A lovely recording of great pieces of music even though it is relatively old. I will listen to this over and over again.
on 31 December 2013
Bought for a friend who had asked for a Schubert CD for a Christmas present. She says that she is delighted with the CD as she wanted the Trout Quintet. The String Quartet No 14, she says, is a lovely bonus.
on 7 March 2014
I suppose that it is all a question of personal taste, but this version of Death and the Maiden doesn't have the poignancy that I expected from the recording.
on 7 January 2015
Arrived safely and on time. Beautiful music.
on 29 June 2011
Schubert at his best. I love this music and can listen to it in the garden preparing a BBQ as of last weekends hot weather, for quiet contemplation or even training for a marathon through headphones. This is a good version clear and crisp. Recommended