Customer reviews

The Hawk Is Howling
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£9.90

on 10 February 2014
I've all Mogwai's albums (with the exception of Hardcore), and Mr Beast and Hawk is Howling are my favourites (maybe that doesn't make me a "true" Mogwai fan). Don't know why exactly, but they complement each other and I often listen to them back-to-back. I read a review somewhere that described Mr Beast as "shimmering beauty" and I couldn't agree more - it is sublime. Hawk is Howling has the same atmosphere, but does tail off (excuse the pun) towards the end with a couple of filler tracks, but despite that is somehow a fuller listening experience than Mr Beast.
on 15 March 2014
ITEM ARRIVED IN GOOD TIME AND ORDER. I FIRST CAME ACROSS MOGWAI VIA A CHANNEL 4 TV SERIES "THE RETURNED". PROBABLY NOT EVERYONE'S "CUP OF TEA" BUT FOR THOSE WHO LIKE THEIR MUSIC (INSTRUMENTAL) A BIT DIFFERENT THEY WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.
on 15 March 2012
Not so much slowly slowly then crashy and fast as previous Mogwai albums but its no worse off for that!
I found the whole album goes together quite nicely with none of the songs sounding out of place. Otherwise, if you like Mogwai for the fact they make good music (whether it is loud and fast or slow and quiet) then I think you'll like this record as there is a good mix of both :-D
on 27 January 2015
Great band great album dispatched quickly and a great price
on 6 April 2016
Perfect
on 7 October 2010
This 2008 album from Mogwai sees them sticking faithfully to their formula rather than breaking new ground. But what a formula. The brooding opener I'm Jim Morrison, I'm Dead is another classic Mogwai opener, in the vein of Auto Rock, Hunted by a Freak etc. Though in common with a lot of this album it's longer and more drawn out than most of Mr. Beast at nearly 7 minutes. Track 2 is the requisite heavy track, Batcat, which is bludgeoning heavy metal, with insistent sledgehammer guitar riffs.

The album continues to follow the same pattern as Mr Beast with Danphe and the Brain, one of many lumbering giants on this album, and it, like the others lumber along pleasantly for the most part, with occasional distortion. This one in particular reminds me of the Cure circa Faith / Carnage Visors, though without Robert Smith obviously as the entire album is instrumental.

There is one track on this album which has no precursors, The Sun Smells Too Loud, which is a bright, poppy tune with a strident beat. Not really sure about it to be honest, hope it's just an experiment rather than a new direction.

In general though this is another strong album from Mogwai, though not a great one in comparison with previous work.
on 12 November 2008
I hadn't heard any Mogwai before. Listened to this album on their myspace page and really liked. Sometimes happy but mostly moody soundtracks to films never made but probably should have been. I can imagine Shane Meadows making a film with a Mogwai soundtrack.
A bit of Sonic Youth, a bit of shoegazing, a bit of Pink Floyd, it even reminds me a bit of some Pat Metheny stuff. Whatever it is it's worth listening too. Buy without hesitation if you like proper grown up sounds.
on 10 February 2012
I have to admit I was left feeling a tad uninspired after hearing leaked versions of `Batcat' and the horrible `Sun Smells To Loud' and I feared Mogwai were going to be another Sigur Ros for 2008. But both tracks turned out to be filler, while the rest of the record is undeniably killer. All the hallmarks of previous records are still present, but the mighty `Gwai seem on top of their game right now.
on 20 September 2008
Just got this today, and even from first impressions this is superb superb - from the lovely sleeve - to the as expected comedy song titles.
The song " the sun...." is quite a diversion from previous Mogwai tunes but is totally cool - watch the video mock up on you tube.
As usual the the rest are of the highest quality and pleasure - and whilst I know other disagree and it is early to call it - I really think Young Team, Mr Beast and the 'the Hawk' are looking to be their 3 best - and I've liked them from the start.

Well recommended. Only watch out is my kids are bigger fans of Charlie and Lola's Batcat than this version!
on 12 October 2008
as a fan of mogwai for years now i always anticipate their albums release. although the cover scares me alot i still had no hesitation in buying it. this album, simply, is the best mogwai release, it is perfect in every single way. every single track on this album is fantastic, as another reviewer said there is no track that you would want to skip. im jim morrison, im dead goes on par with killing all the flies as my favorite mogwai song of all time, and there are other songs on this album that near the top of that list.

each song is a masterpiece in composition, phrasing and execution and each song delivers beautiful moments. sometimes in the past i have been put off by some of the heavier moments in mogwai songs, but they have honed the balance between the heavy parts and the softer.

this album has rejuvenated my love for mogwai that went a tiny bit stale after mr beast. any new mogwai fans might as well start here and any old mogwai fans unsure should not even hestitate at this purchase.