Customer reviews

The Hawk Is Howling
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£9.90

on 10 February 2014
I've all Mogwai's albums (with the exception of Hardcore), and Mr Beast and Hawk is Howling are my favourites (maybe that doesn't make me a "true" Mogwai fan). Don't know why exactly, but they complement each other and I often listen to them back-to-back. I read a review somewhere that described Mr Beast as "shimmering beauty" and I couldn't agree more - it is sublime. Hawk is Howling has the same atmosphere, but does tail off (excuse the pun) towards the end with a couple of filler tracks, but despite that is somehow a fuller listening experience than Mr Beast.
One person found this helpful
on 15 March 2014
ITEM ARRIVED IN GOOD TIME AND ORDER. I FIRST CAME ACROSS MOGWAI VIA A CHANNEL 4 TV SERIES "THE RETURNED". PROBABLY NOT EVERYONE'S "CUP OF TEA" BUT FOR THOSE WHO LIKE THEIR MUSIC (INSTRUMENTAL) A BIT DIFFERENT THEY WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.
on 15 March 2012
Not so much slowly slowly then crashy and fast as previous Mogwai albums but its no worse off for that!
I found the whole album goes together quite nicely with none of the songs sounding out of place. Otherwise, if you like Mogwai for the fact they make good music (whether it is loud and fast or slow and quiet) then I think you'll like this record as there is a good mix of both :-D
on 27 January 2015
Great band great album dispatched quickly and a great price
on 25 October 2012
After "come on die young", this is a second masterpiece of these Scottish noisemakers. They can attack your ears (specially live!) and touch your heart in one piece. The music to imagine your own movie!
on 6 April 2016
Perfect
on 25 September 2008
I'm not gonna ramble on and on about this album because there is no need to. To put it bluntly it's an excellent album, one for the collection.
on 7 October 2010
This 2008 album from Mogwai sees them sticking faithfully to their formula rather than breaking new ground. But what a formula. The brooding opener I'm Jim Morrison, I'm Dead is another classic Mogwai opener, in the vein of Auto Rock, Hunted by a Freak etc. Though in common with a lot of this album it's longer and more drawn out than most of Mr. Beast at nearly 7 minutes. Track 2 is the requisite heavy track, Batcat, which is bludgeoning heavy metal, with insistent sledgehammer guitar riffs.

The album continues to follow the same pattern as Mr Beast with Danphe and the Brain, one of many lumbering giants on this album, and it, like the others lumber along pleasantly for the most part, with occasional distortion. This one in particular reminds me of the Cure circa Faith / Carnage Visors, though without Robert Smith obviously as the entire album is instrumental.

There is one track on this album which has no precursors, The Sun Smells Too Loud, which is a bright, poppy tune with a strident beat. Not really sure about it to be honest, hope it's just an experiment rather than a new direction.

In general though this is another strong album from Mogwai, though not a great one in comparison with previous work.
on 12 November 2008
I hadn't heard any Mogwai before. Listened to this album on their myspace page and really liked. Sometimes happy but mostly moody soundtracks to films never made but probably should have been. I can imagine Shane Meadows making a film with a Mogwai soundtrack.
A bit of Sonic Youth, a bit of shoegazing, a bit of Pink Floyd, it even reminds me a bit of some Pat Metheny stuff. Whatever it is it's worth listening too. Buy without hesitation if you like proper grown up sounds.
5 people found this helpful
on 10 February 2012
I have to admit I was left feeling a tad uninspired after hearing leaked versions of `Batcat' and the horrible `Sun Smells To Loud' and I feared Mogwai were going to be another Sigur Ros for 2008. But both tracks turned out to be filler, while the rest of the record is undeniably killer. All the hallmarks of previous records are still present, but the mighty `Gwai seem on top of their game right now.