Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 3 April 2017
Somehow I had avoided knowing about JST till a few months ago...I don't know how! Since then I've got all her studio albums and they are all sensational. This, her 1st offering, is perhaps a bit more down home and raw than later efforts, but nothing wrong with that.Great songs, great band, great delivery. She is the new Bonnie Raitt, without a doubt, but to become a big star (Blues alone will not do that), she'll need to follow the same career path as Bonnie and aim more MOR without compromising her musical principals, and that's not easy. You have to be as good as Bonnie Raitt to do it, but then JST is! We'll see....
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 30 June 2009
Never heard of her before, I bought this after it popped up on my recommended list. I was not disappointed. This young lady has a unique, beautifully husky voice, she was clearly born to sing the blues. All the tracks on here are very good, but for me track 5 "Time has come" is just sublime - mournful blues in that lovely husky voice, and then a 3 minute blistering guitar sequence - just superb, a real belter. Not only can she sing but wow, can she play! I would love to see her live. If you like BB King, Buddy Guy, Joe Bonamassa, Gary Moore etc. then you will love this, she really stands out. A rising star.
on 10 May 2009
I know my blues guitarists and this girl is unbelievable quite frankly. Not quite in the top league, but blimey she's close! Lets put Joe Bonamassa, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Walter Trout, Johnny Winter fighting it out for the league championship but here we have a new player who plays the blues brilliantly. If anyone deserves to hit the big time and get into the big four its her! Already fighting and keeping her place in easily in the top 10, i believe her to be the most exciting new talent for years and years. Love blues? love smokin blues guitar and a voice that totally knocks you for six- don't be fooled by appearances - she does not sound like a 23 year old but sings with a maturity and resonance that has to be heard to be believed. If you love the blues buy this album and if you are anything less than blown away i will eat yesterdays underwear!
on 3 November 2014
Cracking tunes, one you can leave on 3-4 times on the spin.
on 3 May 2017
Early stuff, but quite promising.
on 15 January 2011
In my humble opinion, this offering from Joanne Shaw Taylor, whilst not as immediate as her follow-up release (Diamonds in The Dirt), is a superb collection of well crafted self penned songs in a classic blues / rock style. At only 24 years of age, she demonstrates a maturity well beyond her age musically, vocally and lyrically. Reading the blurb on her web site, she points to Jimi Hendrix amongst others as having been a major influence in her playing style and this is easily heard on this album (Listen to Kiss The Ground Goodbye, track listing No7). Her follow-up album at times reminded me musically of early ZZ Top, but on this release (White Sugar) that comparison is much less noticeable. One reviewer has linked her style on White Sugar to that of Status Quo, indicating that this is a negative thing. I however fail to pick up on any similarity throughout this recording. I for one would not have been disappointed if in fact she had imitated their distinctive 12 bar blues style, as in their early days, Quo were a force to be reckoned with. Unlike Diamonds in The Dirt, there is a greater variety of traditional blues and rock styles on offer throughout this album, and the closing track, Blackest Day, is a real classic blues number reminiscent of B B King. Overall this is a slightly softer sounding album than its follow-up (Diamonds in The Dirt) leaning more towards a Robert Cray sound with a touch of blues funk, but a harder edge is still noticeable at times. Vocally she sounds much softer, but still great. I look forward to future recordings by this superb new talent. She really deserves to be a major international sensation, but so long as the public continue to demand the bubble-gum tripe that makes the charts today, true talent such as that of JST will always be overlooked by all but a discerning few and she will remain a cult artist. Maybe this is no bad thing, as we have an extremely talented individual doing what she wishes and not what music executives interested only in profit think we want, and more importantly those of us in the know will feel that we have something only we have discovered to pass on to the un-educated masses. A superb guitarist who is almost on a par with the greats such as Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Billy Gibbons, Jimmy Page and dare I say it the greatest of them all Rory Gallagher. Get this or her follow-up album and I can assure you that she will blow your socks off.
33 Comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 12 May 2009
This came up as recommendation for someone who had bought Joe Bonamassa albums - and I have to say that it was spot on
She has a great voice , a friend described it as 'smokey' and I'd compare it to Joss Stone on her 'Soul Sessions' album
..and then there is some outstanding guitar as well
Standout tracks are 'Time to Change' and 'Blackest Day' and the quality of the playing is great throughout
The blues purists might say a couple of tracks veer towards lighweight R&B but overall an excellent blues album and on the strength of it I bought tickets to see her as support for Johnny Winter in a couple of weeks - so I guess I was really impressed ..
This is an excellent album from an exceptional talent. Joanne Shaw Taylor might only have been 23 when she recorded this, but with her technique and mature sound you'd never believe it.

In this collection of 10 self penned blues songs Taylor reveals herself to be a major talent, and one who's music I will be following with interest. Her mastery of the guitar is stunning. After listening to this album I checked the album credits quite thoroughly, as I was sure from the sound that BB King had appeared on a few tracks, but no, it was Taylor all the way. A real achievement.

Currently Taylor lacks the one thing that really lifts any blues album to the highest of heights, and that is experience. Check out recordings by blues men such as Seasick Steve, or Howlin' Wolf, who have had hard lives full of first hand experience of the blues and you can see that this just lifts the music a notch. But Taylor makes up for this lack with energy and exuberance, and I am sure her music will be more informed as she travels along life's highways.

An excellent album full of fast paced electric blues a la Stevie Ray Vaughan. Accessible to a wide audience but of real interest to the blues purists as well. One that ends up in my CD player quite regularly. Recommended.
on 20 November 2010
I purchased joanne's latest album first "Diamonds in the dirt". and was mesmerised by it. This is also superb. I was lying in the bath (not a pretty sight I know) and "White Sugar" was blasting up the stairs because I always play my music loud, that's the only way and I just could'nt believe how mature a guitar solo I was listening to. It made me think that Eric Clapton had better get off his backside as this young girl is leaving him in her wake. Not only that she does have a voice that reminds me of the fantastic late Dusty Springfield. I was imaginging Dusty singing with a guitar round her neck, that made me laugh.
I don't think I've ever heard a woman play the guitar so well and dare I say it for the fear of sounding sexist, sound so much like a man, if that is at all possible. If you like Blues, a great voice and superb guitar playing then this is for you and I'm sure you'll be off to purchase "Diamonds in the Dirt", enjoy.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 8 August 2014
J.S.T, s 2009 debut, produced by legendary Jim Gaines.
For a debut album this is full of self penned, filled with passion, fiery, fierce guitar solo, s and riffs.Moody Going Home, Bones, Time Has Come(Wow what a blistering solo),and the title track White Sugar, an instrumental that matches anything you will hear from SRV, Winter, Bonamassa and Trout, phenominal.10 Tracks in total that will just have you pressing the play button as soon as its finnished.A couple of lightish tracks in Just Another Word and Heavy Heart which are very soulful and in which JST shows off her very gravelly voice.Where the hell does a petit little blond Northern lass get that deep south voice from?
Do not hesitate, buy try and then pick your jaw up from the floor.After that go for her equally stunning Diamonds In The Dirt.