on 5 February 2016
I was really pleased when Murray Gold was asked to compose the music for Doctor Who as I love the way he composes.:-)

This CD contains the original music score from both series 1 and series 2.

Over both series the melodies he composed were flowing, lyrical, romantic, haunting, powerful, mournful, plenty of action and darker themes when each episode needed it. :-)

I thought Murray did well composing the two songs but I thought the second song, “Love don’t roam” was more suited to Neil Hannon’s voice then the “Song of Ten”.

I also love how Murray Gold orchestrated the Doctor Who soundtrack for both series 1 and 2. :-)

You get a lovely CD booklet that has still photos from the show as well as an album introduction and info about each track. :-)

This is an excellent CD and it also reminds me of two fantastic series of Doctor Who. :-)
on 11 March 2012
When Doctor Who returned to our screens in 2005, it came with new effects, new characters and new music. This albums has an absolutely superb variation of styles and moods.
NOTE: In Murray Gold's later albums, the tracks are listed in order of the episodes they appear in, but here this is not the case. In a way, this works better and prevents similar scores being placed one after the other.
It's a shame that Series 1 & 2 are on the same CD because it allows less room for tracks from different series and I reckon there is enough material to make a seperate album for each series, but this is a minor thing. I'm not going to list all the tracks, but here are some of my favourites (choosing favourites out of this CD was difficult!):

2. Westminister Bridge - A great theme that appeared in "Rose" in a slightly different version, but still a fantastic piece.

4. Cassandra's Waltz - A fun score, this. With each repeat more instruments play the tune until the end where it is actually quite loud.

5. Slitheen - The scene in "Aliens of London" where the Slitheen ship crashes into Big Ben was superb and this is a great score to match it.

12. Clockwork TARDIS - A great little score that slowly builds up layers of instruments.

14. Rose's Theme - A very familiar theme, having appeared in various scenes with Rose. First played in "The End of the World" and last played in "The End of Time - Part 2".

15. Song for Ten - A great song performed by Neil Hannon that appeared in different forms throughout Series Two with lyrics that relate to the Tenth Doctor.

21. The Lone Dalek - I think this is the longest track in the album but also one of the best. It first appeared in "Dalek" (surprisingly enough) but can also be heard in "The Satan Pit".

22. Tooth and Claw - A stormer of a theme, here. This theme also appeared in "The Satan Pit".

24. Monster Bossa - A short, quirky theme from "Boom Town" and one of my favourites.

26. The Cybermen - Another one of the familiar themes in New Who.

27. Doomsday - A great piece mainly featuring just a piano, a bass guitar and singing but still a great reminder to the climactic end of "Doomsday".

30. Love Don't Roam - The second song by Neil Hannon and my preferred of the two.

31. Doctor Who Theme - Album Version - The reason I didn't mention the TV version of this theme is that this version lasts longer and has more material in it. Here, the original theme is quite noticable in some places. This new theme is absolutely fantastic.

I would recommend this album to any fan of music and Doctor Who. A brilliant selection of music and fantastic value for money. All right, I've stopped...
One person found this helpful
on 20 April 2007
An excellent cd to accompany an excellent series! I had no idea that a cd of the music to series 1 and 2 had been released, it was only by luck I stumbled across this, but when I saw it for [...]. I thought it might be worth a look at.Even without paying extra for 24hr delivery it arrived on my doorstep the next morning so well done Amazon for that. The cd itself comes in a jewel case with a card outers sleeve also, inside is a booklet that gives you a little insight into each of the tracks and also contains some nice photos. The musical score itself is superb with some very moving and outstanding pieces, favourites of mine have to be Madame De Pompadour and Doomsday both of which tug at the heart strings. Hopefully another cd will follow as the music from series 3 is proving to be just as good.
6 people found this helpful
on 30 October 2017
It's great to hear how Murray Gold fitted the music to the action on screen.
on 4 November 2013
Until I listened to a recent concert of Dr Who music I hadn't realised what wonderful music it was. I now play the CD most day. Unfortunately I had never appreciated the music when watching Dr Who as the story takes all my attention!
on 30 October 2013
Great album for a Dr who fan. brought this because my husband is a doctor who fan. However i can not share the music with him as the amazon app wont let me. Worth it if you are downloading for yourself. Not so great if it's for someone else.
on 5 December 2014
You'll never really appreciate the soundtracks to TV programmes until you listen to this. It is no wonder that they are going on tour.
on 8 January 2018
great for my collection
on 5 December 2012
Fantastic original music scores from the first series. Playing these back instantly brings the episodes back to you, no matter how long it is since your last watch. A great buy.
on 28 March 2016