• Flood

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.49

on 13 January 2003
Since hearing this collection of mad, mad stuff a long time ago (courtesy of a friend with more money than I had at the time) I have constantly been uplifted when listening to the clever, catchy lyrics and droll commentaries on life and the world in general.
The fun I got from learning the lyrics of Rock, and trying to sing them in time to the music has occupied many happy, if exhausted hours driving home from work late at night. (Probably kept me awake too!)
Yes TMBG, not only do I love your music, but I probably owe you my life too!!!
If you are trembling on the verge of 'to buy or not to buy'
BUY - you won't regret it.
Then, when you have made that decision, buy Apollo Two too as it is also excellent.
Then stop until you are richer, and can afford disappointment!
on 15 April 2004
This is where the party begun for many TMBG fans. It is the definitive TMBG album. This album spurred me on to buy all their other albums.
Ingenious. No two songs are alike, it is an album full of surprises. Most people I have lent this album to have then gone out to buy it for themselves. I see it as a must have for music fans, if only to broaden one's collection.
There are a lot of highlights to this album, most people who have heard it would cite 'Birdhouse in your Soul' as the best song, but in my opinion there are a lot on a par with this. Notably, 'Letterbox', 'Sapphire Bullets of Pure Love' and well, I could go on and name all the songs, because they all have qualities.
TMBG are musical innovators. This album proves that.
on 30 May 2001
one of the greatest ablums i have in my collection this is one of those albums, and generally one of those bands, that you never tire of listening to. These tracks manage to successfully combine catchyness, rock and when listened to properly, quirky but also quite meaningfull lyrics. Songs such as birdhouse and dead are really quite thoughtfull but they combine this with the totally bizarre minimum wage in a seamless fantastic way. BUY THIS ABLUM RIGHT NOW IF YOU HAVE ANY TASTE AT ALL, CLICK BUY, GO ON DO IT, NOW GO ON. NO DONT LEAVE IT TILL LATER RIGHT NOW.
ps i can also recommend sever tire damage worth it for the live version of istanbul alone
on 4 February 2004
I found this album because I'd heard 'Birdhouse In Your Soul' on the radio and decided that I would like a copy of the song. I then listened to the rest of the album and wasn't disappointed. Istanbul (not Constantinople), Dead, Particle Man, They Might Be Giants, Road Movie To Berlin, the great songs just keep on coming. A word of advice. Don't listen when you're trying to work as you'll get caught up in the songs and never get anything done. But buy it!
on 3 June 2002
They Might Be Giants are so unlike anything you will have ever heard it's hard to find words to sum them up. Yes, they're 'quirky', but the loathsome 'q' word is over-used and far too generic to do them justice. They are runner-up act of choice to Barenaked Ladies fans, currently enjoying renewed interest thanks to the (uncharacteristic) Blink182-esque hit Boss of Me. The music is self-mocking and subversive (just take the daft hidden politics of We Want A Rock); the duo dole out catchy choruses like there's no tommorrow. Best of all, the two Johns have firmly turned their backs on the corporate fashion parade that is the 'popular' music industry. If you're going to get anything from songs like Minimum Wage, Someone Keeps Moving My Chair or ten year old UK hit Birdhouse In Your Soul, it's the distinct impression that they just don't give a damn.
on 25 April 2014
I am biased, I have bought everything They Might Be Giants have ever done and I own the t-shirt. However it all started here. Something about this album just clicks into place for me. If I am unhappy then this changes my mood. The songs are eclectic, and define quirk. On here you have Birdhouse in your Soul - the one song most people know, My Racist Friend, Particle Man, Istanbul (Not Constantinople), Hot Cha. All of them with the essence of John and John's love of what they do oozing out of every bar. This is my fourth copy of the album. I gave the others away in an effort to spread joy :). I genuinely hope you enjoy it. (Oh and look out for fingertips on their previous album Apollo 18 - simple genius).
on 23 March 2012
How did I manage to miss this band for so long? I heard one song on the radio, listened to a couple more online, and following recommendations bought this album first, and it's splendid. I'd buy all their others, but there are too many for me to afford!
on 3 January 2012
Flood seems like a greatest hits album of They Might Be Giants...even though it was one of their first releases! The hits (Istanbul not Constantinople and Birdhouse) are here alongside live classics such as Particle Man and Whistling in the dark. Deliciously clever and thought-provoking lyrics and so uncool that they are cool tunes. They should be giants...still I am glad that they are not too giant and commercialised. If you want an album to hum to, tap your toes to or laugh at...this may be it.
on 16 September 2012
The use of the word 'Album' should give you some info about my age. I'd forgotten about this group until a friend mentioned them recently. When I came back from holiday I ordered the CD to replace the worn out cassette tape (yes thats right it's an old form of portable, copiable music for all you under 35's) that i'd had. It brought back great memories and it's just great music - a little offbeat and with some interesting lyrics but it soon had me singing along with Particle Man and Birdhouse in my soul. Buy it, try it and introduce yourself to something old but somehow new.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 6 February 2012
Flood came along during my college years and owned my ears. In a time of grunge, brit pop and house this was just two guys making quirky and odd music. Some will say the nasal delivery of tracks is annoying. Others will find its wackiness just a little too off-putting. However, delve a bit deeper and there is real quality here. The two hits (Istanbul, Not Constantinople and Birdhouse In Your Soul) and just pop gems, catchy with gorgeous melodies (ok one is a cover) they really work. But there is so much more on offer. I can't hear the term Minimum Wage without the whipcracks and thinking of this song. Twisting and We Want A Rock are catchy and then Road Movie To Berlin is an amazing finale.

This really is a great introduction to TMBG. For clever pop and quirky tunes you can't beat it