on 15 March 2014
Most albums tend to have a similar pattern; the first 3-4 tracks are very good, there a then a few lesser tracks to 'fill' and the last track is a longer slightly anthemic finale.

This album is different in that all tracks are very, very good, longer tracks mingled with shorter punchier tracks, but all very, very good! Soundwise it sounds like a mixture of Bruce Springsteen's Philadelphia strongly influenced by Editors, if you can imagine that.

I appreciate that this is not The National's latest release but for me it is my Album Purchase of 2014 so far!
One person found this helpful
on 4 January 2015
Another Alt Rock group that I never thought that I would like, but I love it. Boxer is a brilliant album, with smooth music and very deep lyrics. On first listening some of the songs do tend to sound similar, and I think that this is due to the lead singers voice which reminds me a bit of Leonard Cohen sometimes and is very rich and "syrupy".

Fake Empire, Racing Like a Pro, Green Gloves and Slow Show are the masterpieces of this album but basically the album really doesn't have any duds.

Highly recommended!!!
on 24 February 2011
I bought this album after having bought 'high violet', the newer album from The National. I'm very happy with it, all the songs are very listenable and fairly chilled out. i can leave this album to play right the way through without being bothered about moving on through a track so it's great for relaxing or doing work as you can really 'zone out' to it. An added extra is that the sound producing is great. I'm running this of an Asus Xonar D2 with a pair of Sennheiser HD555's and it sounds incredible. If you're considering this album at all then go for it, grab a cup of tea and let it play through, you won't regret it.
on 2 September 2013
A classic album by the National, some great tracks on here especially "Start a War" and "Fake Empire" - love it. Anyone with a taste for alternative music will love this. Great guitars. Michael Stipe from REM says The National are his new favourite band so they've gotta be doing something right! This album proves it.
on 2 May 2016
I think the preceding Alligator and the subsequent High Violet and Trouble Will Find Me all have the edge on Boxer, but it's still a magnificent record. Deserves 5 stars for Fake Empire alone.
on 1 March 2018
Old school..... :-)
on 5 December 2016
Still my own personal favourite album by The National. It may take a few listens, but these wonderful songs grow on you to a point that you cannot do without having them in your life. A record every home should have :)
on 28 September 2017
Great album
on 24 July 2013
Another great album by The National. Very listenable with some incredibly good tracks. I am a massive fan of The National and always will be! This is one of my faves.
on 12 August 2015
Adult and clever. Well played and produced but lacks the soul and emotion to really communicate with me and move me.