Customer reviews

Price:£5.82+ £4.99 shipping

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 9 January 2011
I live in rural Aberdenshire, and I attract a variety of birds to my garden. I see starlings, sparrows, blackbirds, thrush, chaffinch, bullfinch, coal-tit, blue tit, occassional magpie, some sort of wood-pigeon, doves, and many smaller finch-type birds that I have not yet identified.

There is one particular seed in this mix, that is a light colour, perhaps it is wheat, and it seems to make up about 50% of the mix - certainly a large proportion.

I see in the manufacturers description on Amazon it says "Includes less wheat than other standard mixes", so I am guessing that this seed is the wheat (i know little about seeds, I can recognise sunflower seeds and that is about it). I dont know anything about comparing seed mixes, but i am guessing that the description of this seed-mix as "premium" is driven by the amount of wheat includsed in the mix.

Anyway, the birds in my garden steadfastly refuse to eat this "wheat" or whatever it is. They enthusiastically attack the seeds and seem to be feeding well. But then i see that all of this particular seed is left behind, and all of the other constituent seeds are gone completely.
Even with the cold weather, snow etc, if I do not put out more seed for 4 or 5 days, they STILL will not eat this remaining seed. In this case it seems that "hunger does not make good sauce". The pigeons do continue to pick half-heartedly at it, but the rest of the birds, fly down, land, look at what is there and fly off again. They just will not eat it.
In the end I have to go out and scrape the bird tables clean as this seed is starting to go mouldy/soggy etc.

Last year I had some seed from RSPB, and I had a somewhat similar problem with one particular seed being left behind, but it made up a much smaller % of the overall mix.

You might find however, that this mix suits your birds. Looking at other reviews on here it seems some people are finding what i have(in Yorkshire for example) but some other reviewers have found no problems.

But I must say that the service/delivery/convenience of buying from "Garden and Outdoors" was excellent and i even got free delivery (not strictly part of a product review I know).

Unfortunately I bought 4 x 5kg sacks before trying it out.

I would recommend to buy a smaller size if possible and try it out with your birds before buying more.

My birds do not rate it more than 3 star (they seem to love about 50% of the mix only)
11 Comment| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 October 2015
All the birds eat this from magpies to bluebirds. On behalf of the birds thank you!
on 31 October 2015
should last for awhile the birds love it
on 3 June 2015
I love it and so do the birds.
on 3 September 2009
Excellent service and real high quality goods. Would recommend this company to anyone. The birds also love it.
on 11 July 2011
I purchased a 5 kg pack of Premium Bird Food and placed the seed in
standard cylindrical bird feeders hung from tree branches.

It's easy to spill a lot of bird seed transferring the seed from the
plastic container bag into the cylindrical bird feeder. To overcome
this problem I cut the bottom from a 2 litre plastic water bottle,
turned it upside down and used it as a funnel.

I poured a small amount of the seed into a dustpan and could see that
there was a good variety of different types of seed for the wild birds
to feed on. Once the birds (bluetits, robins and finches in my location)
got used to my shiny stainless steel and plastic bird feeders these shy
birds continually came backwards and forwards to feed. The bluetits have
fledgelings at this time of year and they were more than happy to have a
ready supply of food for their offspring.

Although carriage is expensive where I am located (rural France)I know that
can't be helped if there are no local suppliers and I just have to consider
that a necessary evil.

I will be purchasing the same seed again but this time in a much larger pack
which helps reduce the price per kilogram.
on 27 November 2010
Having tried different birdfeed this is the best I've used so far. While some others can be quite messy this one creates very little mess beneath the birdfeeder.
on 31 January 2010
It arrived promptly. It was the right stuff. 5 out of 5 for that.
The grains in it are rather small - a lot would fall through any wire-mesh feeder - but I have just acquired a perspex RSPB feeder and it doesn't fall out. The food seems particularly attractive to sparrows.
on 23 June 2013
I ordered this birdfood after reading the reports that it contained less waste than other foods as it had less grain and more millet and other seeds suitable for small birds eg:robins /blue tits etc: My package contained far to much grain barley and too many black sunflower seeds but less no waste grain. I will order again but will probably use a different supplier. I have lots of grass and barley growing under my feeders which is an indication that the ground feeding birds eg: dunnocks do no like it either.

sad
on 4 August 2010
Too much basic seed,Yorkshire birds are not keen,tend to leave a lot,except for the greedy woodpigeons