Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change

on 18 October 2013
and it all starts with the opening track intro and lyric, "flow my tears,.....the new police song,.....the slogan of peace is,.....'you must live.' and for me, the journey on a constant roll begins. I love the imaginings and feelings I get from this album. the complete and utter uniqueness of gary numan no matter how many friends of bowie or ultimately what bowie tries to take credit for, or what your going to find written within the cds booklet by steve malins, or all the other remastered complete albums of numans cd booklets written by steve malins. we are all just the same really if that's all your looking for. gary numan and david bowie are two very different people. its strongly reflected in how different there songs sound and feel. its gary numans unique young interpretation of interests voiced here. you can even hear it in this cds 'living ornaments 78.'(i had a bootleg copy of this at the roxy performance aged 13. thank you michael marsh). this is better quality and only of interest to numan fans. having liked gary numan from the age of twelve and having a keen ear, this remastered version on my improved sound system is a real treat. I have never heard it quite like this before. this is not a synth based album. theres drumming, guitaring and bassing and they say punking. what i hear is numaning. music is all about what you want to feel. this like most of numans work feels different. unique. make no mistake, whether you like it or no, this is an album made from real talent in the raw. the original tubeway army cd......redundant...very, very redundant. its a lot like having the original vinyl all over again.
on 12 March 2017
Early Numan for me will always be the best and this album causing an argument with myself between this, Replicas or Telekon being his best. All three are 5 star review albums. I have never tired of this album and don't think I ever will. "Joe the waiter worked for me...."
on 30 August 2017
personally I hate but my partner loves this either way it was speedy delivery and great quality
on 4 July 2017
Quite simply one of the best albums ever recorded!
on 4 October 2001
I believe Gary Numan described this album of a way to get a record deal so that he could record the music that he really wanted to do. The music press quoted him at the time as saying that you could easily get a record deal if you had any material that was 'punky' enough.
With a longtime friend as bass player and his uncle as drummer, this album was the first album of his own songs. They owe much to the post-punk era that it was recorded in, but you can see where it is heading. If you know 'Replicas', then you will hear it in its development stage here. The songs are not punk nor are they electronic music, but the style grows on you very quickly. A stand out track is 'Listen to the Sirens', but as with most of the tracks, the guitar driven sound mixes eerily with the varying levels of eclectic keyboard sounds used.
If you like 'Replicas' then you will like this or if not, it will eventually grow on you.
on 4 September 2009
I never much liked Gary Numan / tubeway army, mainly due to the handfull of his fans that copied his look & mimicked his every move on the dancefloor of the club I frequented back in the late 70's / early 80's. Back then I considered him, at best, a 2nd rate Bowie.
However twenty odd years later, with nothing new to buy I thought I'd give him a second chance. I read the reviews on Amazon and bought the first tubeway army album and Replicas.
I played Replicas first and although not bowled over by it I could at least appreciate it as a decent album and have to admit that enjoyed it.
I expected a lot less from the first album after reading that it was really little more than a Punky sounding home demo. First off I have to say that, to my ears, it couldn't be anyone other than Gary Numan / tubeway army, the sound isn't as different to Replicas as I had expected. After playing both albums a couple of times I actually prefer this album to Replicas, the songs are more varied and a lot more fun. He wasn't taking himself too seriously at this point which I always felt he did on later songs. OK I can't see it ever being used as a Hi-Fi demonstration disc but what it lacks in technicalities it makes up for in playability. After listening to this one I will try a few more of his solo albums, I perhaps wouldn't have purchased anymore after listening to Replicas so, for me, it certainly isn't just an oddity for completists it really is a good record in it's own right.
on 2 February 2012
I clearly recall buying this album with my Christmas money in 1979, the day the shops re-opened after the holiday. I can also recall the excitement of taking it home and playing it for the first time on my tinny old stereo, my 13 year-old ears hanging on every note, every word, and realising that this was THE ONE.

I already had the first-class 'Replicas' and the awesome 'Pleasure Principle' and I guess I was expecting another moog-frenzy but no, this one was guitar driven with only the slightest burble here and there by way of synth-action.

But my favourite tracks from Replicas were the guitar driven ones (The Machman, You Are In My Vision, It Must Have Been Years) so from the moment the chorus of 'Listen To The Sirens' kicked in, that was it, I was hooked...forever.

The songs themselves are typical of Gary Numan's quirky, peerless songwriting which would continue to this day, but are underpinned by a rich chunky Les-Paul-through-a-Marshall guitar sound that he never quite had again. I've often heard him criticise his own guitar skills, but this album provides strong evidence that he was rather better then he thought.

This early material is often referred to as punky, but some of the songs on offer veer nearer to heavy metal (Are You Real? Steel And You, Friends), but all the while sounding SO Numan. And I didn't notice it at the time, but my 46-year old ears detect some Be Bop Deluxe influence in there too. Bizarre. Wonderful.

Anyway, in my opinion, the first Tubeway Army album is still the finest Numan recording and I recommend it to all without hesitation.
on 16 September 2014
Not quite as slick as the later "Replicas" this is a synthesiser and guitar based journey into Numan's darker side. The arrangements are often quite stark and the lyrics more Cyberpunk than Punk and, although Numan's first singles owe a lot to The Pistols, The Damned, etc. this album is closer to heavy rock in places.
The themes are spread between loneliness: "Every Day I Die"
death: "The Life Machine"
isolation: "Zero Bars"
science fiction: "Listen to the Sirens"
and a brief flirtation with homosexuality: "Jo the waiter"
Not easy listening but an interesting first official album.
This version also includes "Living Ornaments '78, Live at the Roxy" which is an official release of a recording previously available as a bootleg.
on 26 June 2017
the original the great electric musician
on 9 August 2017
A truly amazing & ground breaking album that was the start of the Electro God that is Mr Gary Numan....One of my favourites for playing in the car.....LOUD!!!!!!