Showing 1-10 of 13 reviews(2 star). See all 429 reviews
on 8 January 2015
I can't agree with Newton's philosophy. He claims that a rapist agreed with his guides to come back in order to be raped. So I assume that the rapist who would do it would be preordained to. It doesn't make sense of the way I believe in the afterlife. I'm probably not going to bother finishing it.
on 12 November 2016
Was, disappointed, this author seemed so aggressive with his patients, and I felt he led the conversations too much with his opinion. Not as good as Many Lives Many Masters.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 4 December 2014
unrealistic even for a believer like myself. sounds made up for people in search for absolute answers: very unconvincing
on 17 November 2015
Too much of the same a wee bit boring
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 February 2011
Its good read and I guess what makes it compelling it tends to chime with many peoples spiritual beliefs. At first glance you may think that the author has cracked the mystery of life after death, and reading most of the positive reviews on here many other people appear to think so as well.

But we all need to take a step back, there are a number of problems with the book and the whole subject they are

The author (in common with many regression practitioners) offers not one bit of evidence that the people his clients professed to be in former lives (before they entered the other side) actually existed, this is a major omission, without this evidence the whole book falls apart, in fact we are to take it as read that they actually did exist. The whole subject of regression is very controversial, with very few cases actually stacking up.

The author gives names etc of people who have professed to have died in the 20th Century, even a 2nd World war solider who died in the pacific, it really is not hard in this internet age to track down people (just see Ancestry.com) as even people who have led the most ordinary life's tend to leave some evidence behind.

The author gives some explanations about soul names, but they do tend to sound like they have come from a science fiction novel, or from someone who is pretending to know Greek or Latin. Why should a soul have a name, naming is a human concept, it's the way we order the world around us, you could say it's a survival thing (we are the only species that does so)

It's difficult to put into words but it all seems to be rather human, a kind of fantasy world, some may say that many people have been through the process and report the same thing, but again it's time to take a step back and think about it, if you went for a LBL session, you would surly know something about the subject beforehand, read the books talked to people, and that would be enough for the mind to spin a story

Until these anomalies are cleared up, I am afraid I can not offer this book a high rating, don't get me wrong just like Fox Moulder "I want to believe" but that does not mean I will not turn off my critical faculties.
1010 Comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 June 2015
I do think we are "recycled" by mother nature and return to human life. There are thousands of reported cases in which children have talked at an early age of their "previous lives" in which specific details they stated have been checked and found to be true. HOWEVER, Sorry to say, Journey of Souls by Michael Newton reads to me like nonsense. A work of science fiction aimed at making the author a lot of money. The records he gives of interviews with clients regressed back to their time in the "spirit world" - between lives - read like corporate meetings. In fact, "Interviews" in spirit world are often mentioned. The words of every client seem remarkably "businessman". Were no ladies or people from non business backgrounds included? There is no sense of a different "spiritual" place being described. The scientific test of any "breakthrough" is that other INDEPENDENT teams can replicate the findings. Have there been any teams (NOT trained by Newton's academy) who have used his methods and found similar results?
on 24 February 2013
Journey of Souls reads like a suspense novel that dumps on the reader endless dialogue for the reader to accept as an actual experience in the after-life. The subject may actually believe the experience, but no attempt is offered to substantiated what is being said.

To be clear, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that another dimention surrunds us, but Norton does not,in my opinion present the material in a professional convincing format. If one likes novels, great -- but I'm looking for supstantiated facts.

I view Nortons works as well written for those who have a need to believe but absent the need for scrutiny. Norton makes leaps of acceptance without providing sufficient evidence of veracity.
on 17 October 2012
I enjoyed reading this book as I have always (ever since I can remember) felt that there is more to life than this - our experience on Earth - and this book is fascinating in the way it explores the theory of past lives through case studies.

However, I feel it lacks credibility for several reasons. As the universe is so vast and ever expanding, does it really make sense that our souls would return to Earth? Why Earth when there are a multitude of other planets (and even universes) on which to reside - it doesn't make sense.

I also agree with other low-star reviewers in that there is a lack of factual evidence of the existance of those who have lived before. A little research in this area would enable the author to validate a past life even if this was only carried out on one case study it would provide the credibility that this book lacks. It wouldn't even be that difficult as records are held online and could quite easily be verified.

Facts: Names, dates of birth, dates of deaths - again not provided.

Also, the accounts of people with past lives could have been from memory of articles they have read, programmes they have seen etc. as there are many similarities in their experiences to other stories, for example the soul floating above the body just after death etc. It is possible that people could be remembering those accounts rather than recalling their own experiences.

Lastly, I don't buy the belief that any soul would choose to return and experience a life of pain and suffering - it just doesn't make sense. If we depart the Earth as higher beings, having learned much from our experience here, then why would we need to keep returning? I would still recommend this book to anyone who is interested in the subject matter (which is why I have given it 2 stars instead of 1) if only to convince you that there is no such thing as past lives - at least not in the way the author conveys. I still firmly believe that this life isn't all there is, just that what is depicted in this book is not it.

Back to my search for the truth!
on 4 September 2011
Being interested in all things afterlife-y I was looking forward to reading this book. However, I was quite disappointed with it by the end. Unlike the other negative reviews, which seem to question the authenticity of the material, I was mainly let down by the fact the the book is completely permeated by the separation paradigm, the idea that we are all separate from God and separate from each other. There is just one reference otherwise when someone says "We are all part of the same oneness". I thought "Yes! Now it's going to get interesting!" Did he follow it up? Nope. Also, if you're hoping of getting a description of heaven (okay, I admit I was) from this book you will be sorely disappointed. I really don't know why people have got excited about this book, when it comes down to it the material isn't as interesting as, say, Raymond Moody's books about the afterlife. There is even a page dedicated to soul colours - who cares?

So anyway, not a positive review, but I haven't rated it 1-star as I'm not in the "It's all bunkum" camp.
on 2 December 2014
A bit too advanced for me to understand in places