Customer reviews

Grand Prix - The Golden Years [2000] [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 20 January 2002
For some this will be a valued introduction to 70's formula one, but many fans will instantly recongise this as yet another rehashing of the well known Brunswick footage from the 70's. Not that the film is bad in any way, but perhaps a double DVD set of the entire output of 30 minute seasonal films form 1970-80 would have been better than this cut down programme which runs 53 minutes and, let's face it, provides nothing new.
John Watson's linking narrative is fine as you'd expect from Wattie, but the 'commentary' on the archive sequences is at best stilted and at worse poor. Picture quality is up to scratch, certainly better than any VHS tape of this material. Extra features are a bit poor, but at under a tenner I didn't expect much.
Fair value, certainly worth it if you're interested in this period of motor racing but haven't seen the Brunswick films yet.
on 19 November 2001
I feel really great about having bought this DVD. I'm 24, and I'm afraid I have'nt had the chance to see much Formula 1 in the seventies. And that's a shame as it was surely the heights of the sport. Think about it: Fittipaldi, Andretti, Rindt, Villeneuve, Pironi, Lauda, Watson, Regazzoni...what a lot! And I just would'nt make justice to those brutally-powered-forget-downforce-cars in a short review, so I won't. This DVD provides you with a short overview of each year of the seventies decade, with initial comments from one of its actors: John Watson. He excells in giving you some insight as to how did Formula get to where it is today. And the footage is incredible! What I didn't like, however, was the poor quality of the sound. Sometimes there are engine noise samples repeated troughout. But believe me: its worth it, especially considering what you get from your money. Excellent buy.
on 6 December 2004
I'm interested in 70's F-1 and I've bought this DVD expecting some nice video footage and information. Well, none of those things are in this DVD.
The footage isn't too good. Most of the shots are taken from the pitlane and there's little action in them. You can find on the net more footage than in the DVD, some historic moments are missing also there aren't any onboard camera shots ( in those days existed, a few but existed ).
¡THEY DON'T TELL ANYTHING ABOUT THE TYRREL P-34, THE MATRA ENGINE OR NURBURGRING !
The sound is terrible, THE SAME BACKGROUND SOUND APPEARS DURING ALL THE DVD. No matter what images are, the sound is always the same.
Commentary are bad, fuzzy, tells very little information and John Watson's comment doesn't help.
Lack of statistical information about circuits, winners and cars also.
So I recommend not to buy it. At least is cheap.
on 2 November 2005
Terrible, Terrible, terrible. I could rant all day about how poor this DVD is. John Watson what were you thinking, very bad production i.e. same sections of commentary repeated, dreadful soundtrack the engine sounds are not the originals and all cars sound the same. For a British GP winner to put his name to this DVD is very disappointing, I only hope he never watched it, come to think of it I would be surprised if the editor had. If I could recommend buying this very cheap DVD for 5 minutes of good outtakes I would, but there is not even that much quality footage. Do yourself a favour buy 50 years of F1 on board instead, listen to the great sound (especially the 6 wheel tyrell) and allow Senna to blow your mind with a Suzuka qualifier, you will not regret it.
on 17 April 2006
This DVD isn't really good at all. It's nothing more than a small insight into every year of the 1970's with good pictures but not a lot of information about that era of Formula One racing. It doesn't tell about a lot of the good cars that raced in F1 during that time and also it doesn't show a lot of the racing action. I wouldn't recommend buying this DVD at all, There's plenty of other great F1 DVD's around.
on 19 October 2009
I grew up in the 70's and loved the F1 coverage I saw on TV, but this is an extremely poor record of the era. As with a previous reviewer, I agree that John Watson should be ashamed to have been involved with this. The commentary, such as it is, is terrible. Very flat indeed. The actual racing you see is somehow 'distant,' very little feel or atmosphere, and so short its pointless!
I had the VHS version of this before, and to me that was better simply because you got physical extras like a poster and an old replica of an F1 race program.
They could have made this SO much better than it actually is!
2 stars simply for some action...even if it is disjointed
on 14 September 2004
Not sure why the blurb says it covers the 60s, 70s and 80s because it's really a review of the decade from 1970-1980. That aside, there is some cracking footage and I'd say it's a good introduction for anyone who maybe wasn't around then but wants to understand what that era was like.
Shame about Watson's rather stilted presentation and the occasional poor sound quality but that doesn't spoil the overall effect. Recommended.
on 10 March 2006
I'VE HAD THIS ON VIDEO FOR A FEW YEARS NOW, SO I KNOW THE CONTENT WELL. THE PICTURE QUALITY IS BETTER, OBVIOUSLY, BUT JOHN WATSONS' NARATION HAS BEEN OVERDUBED.SO BADLY OVERDUBED, IN FACT THE NARATOR REPEATS A COMPLETE SENTANCE AT A RAIN SOAKED CANADIAN GRAND PRIX, WHICH IS MOST ANOYING. THEY SHOULD HAVE KEPT THE ORIGINAL COMMENTARY BY JOHN, WHICH IS A WHOLE LOT BETTER.
on 3 July 2013
This review concentrates on the 70's decade of F1, with lots of interesting technical developments, new drivers, new teams, developing teams and driver changes - however all this DVD does is tiptoe onto the surface on what was an excellent decade in F1. It's completely flat, and crams in a whole decade into little over 1 hour...as you can imagine a great deal of detail is completely lost. I grew up in the 80's, and lived F1 in the 90's so I was looking forward to this DVD a lot - whilst it allowed me to appreciate some aspects of how F1 was back in the hay-day, it will be a bitter disappointment to anyone who actually grew up in the 70s era of F1. I've only given it 2 stars as it is a brief skirmish into what F1 was in the 70s - the cars the tracks and the safety (or lack of), but other than that don't expect much I'm afraid.
on 4 October 2011
I thought long and hard regarding the purchase of this DVD and decided to pay out the few quid its now being sold for. I am a fan of F1 back in the day when drivers needed to take their hand off the wheel to change gear and this DVD covers that era quite well. Yes, Mr Watson is a bit wooden when he gives his views but this is only a very small part of the programme and a professional narrator does the commentary anyway.
The DVD shows the triumphs and the tragedies and for the first time one of these programmes shows footage of Mike Hailwood earning a George Medal for his trackside bravery.

Plenty of footage of a good quality and lots of info and statistics for people to get their teeth into here if thats what you are after. Personally I like to see the cars racing on tracks lined with hay bails and drivers with big side burns standing around in oily overalls! Great Days.
No doubt there are better DVDs out there but at this price and 1 hour long I think this is a good buy and I am very pleased.