Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

The original 1984 documentary/film about the American Gay activist Harvey Milk who was elected to office in California for a short time in the late Seventies is presently only available on ‘BLU RAY’ in the States (the Sean Penn “Milk” movie came much later). But therein lies a problem for UK and European buyers…

The US BLU RAY is REGION-A LOCKED - so it WILL NOT PLAY on most UK BLU RAY players unless they're chipped to play 'all' regions (which the vast majority aren't). Don’t confuse BLU RAY players that have multi-region capability on the 'DVD' front – that won’t help.

Until such time as someone on this side of the pond gives “The Times Of Harvey Milk” a REGION B and C release – check your BLU RAY player has the capacity to play REGION A – before you buy the pricey Criterion issue…
on 2 April 2009
Thought provoking- I was so moved by the Gus Van Sant's film 'Milk' that I immediately went out to buy this which I heard was the inspiration and I was really taken by it- this is a moving tribute to the legendary political figure and great man, Harvey Milk. The recording of Dan White's confession was chilling and emotional, as were the selected clips of Harvey's public appearences. I really reccommend this documentary- it's interesting and factual and explained a lot of what (I decided afterwards) I needed to know.
VINE VOICEon 15 August 2009
I didn't know anything about Harvey Milk when I got this video - I though this was the Sean Penn film. But I watched it and it was a wonderful story about progressive politics. How a man blazed a trail in his community and shook up American politics. Loads of fascinating footage, an unvarnished portrait of the man and a shocking denouement, which is bizarre and disturbing. You don't have to be gay to enjoy this amazing documentary.
on 8 February 2009
Gay rights campaigner Harvey Milk became San Francisco City Council's first openly gay man elected to public office in 1978. Soon afterwards he was shot dead by fellow councillor and demented homophobe Dan White. This documentary was doing the rounds in London cinemas in 1985 and it chronicles Milk's life with heart warming comments from his friends, fellow workers and people that knew him closely. This is a fitting tribute to one of my all time heroes.
on 6 August 2009
i love the story of Harvey milk the man is so cool hes about everything i stand for!!if you buy this buy the film "milk" or "itty bitty titty committee"and "ballot measure 9" is awesome to.
on 3 January 2015
Enjoyable is perhaps the wrong word for what is, in the end, a completely tragic story.But it does illustrate the profound strength, thoughtfulness and kindness of some people, even when they have opposing views that can allow them to start to change the world. It also illustrates some of the insanities of a so-called justice system, that in the end served no one.
Watch and weep, whatever orientation or gender.
on 1 April 2015
Very interesting to see orginal clips of Harvey Milk the man himself his friends and oponennts.The quality of the film isn't great but I prefered it to the excellent film Milk.
on 6 December 2014
i had not heard of the Harvey Milk story, I rate this documentary highly. Educational and historical. I wish i had found it earlier in my life. Watch it!
on 28 January 2013
I did not like the Sean penn version...I like documentaries and this delivered. It was a much better viewing experience than the Oscar nominated film.
on 28 December 2010
I got this after watching the film 'Milk' as I wanted to know a bit more about the man who seemed to inspire so many people and to see the oscar winning documentary that inspired a great film.

I wasn't disappointed and really enjoyed this documentary. I would have liked to have heard a bit more in the documentary from more people who worked closely with Harvey Milk during him campaigns and while in office but perhaps they just didn't want to or understandably as this was made in early 1980's not so long after the assassinations, it may have been too soon for some people to participate etc. But you could tell by listening to those who did participate and who knew and worked with Harvey Milk just how affected they were by him and consequently what his legacy was.

I came away with a real feeling that this man wasn't just advocating gay rights, but the rights of all people and he inspired solidarity among people, not just those in the gay movement. He fought for the minorities as he seemed to understand that prejudice against one minority would eventually spread to another and then another, but if we stand together, against prejudice, then we don't just help that particular minority group but we ultimately help each other.

The documentary also touched on the killing of Mayor Moscone and how influential he was to Harvey Milk. I left this documentary enlightened, but also wondering what might have been if Harvey Milk and Mayor Moscone had lived through to the 1980's and the challenges that lay ahead....