on 9 December 2007
We received the Primary Kit with some other Cambridge BrainBox Kits as a Present.

This company seem to have two different size Kits for the 8 to 13 age level.
They charge £14.99 for the Primary Kit which includes 100 experiments
whereas the £29.99 Primary Plus Kit includes 500 experiments.

Anyway on to the Primary Kit which cost us £14.99 - it came in a large box with enough parts to construct over 100 experiments.
The parts were brightly coloured and number coded - which really did help us in the construction - and the bits seemed to be strong.

We have tried 2 of the kits now and my kids think that they are playing a game and having fun,
but at the same time they have been learning about Electronics. This is certainly easier than trying to get them to do their homework.

The Primary Kit is designed to teach children the basic principles of electricity and electronics.
It covers the requirements of the Science National Curriculum at Key Stages 1 & 2 with links to Design and Technology and adds many extra exciting experiments for good measure!

We experimented with controlling how to make lamps get brighter and got a motor working. Building the flying fan was great fun.
But the kids made a bit too much noise experimenting with electronic sirens.

We had to steer them to some of the quieter projects like building Electric Circuits, Light Emitting Diodes, Learning about different types of Switches and experimenting with Conductors and Insulators. We are now moving on to Series and Parallel Circuits

The teacher at our local school loves these kits because they teach at Key Stage level and are linked to the National Curriculum.
All of our family seem to have enjoyed using this kit so we would definitely recommend it.

Well done to Cambridge BrainBox who seem to have developed a good range of products
and the prices seem very reasonable considering how much content there is in the box.

Once you have bought the Primary Kit you will soon want the Primary Plus Kit because it has 500 experiments.

Its great fun using these kits and you learn lots while you are doing it - be careful as they do become addictive.
We had never previously heard about BrainBox until we saw it on Amazon.
We will certainly be recommending this range to our friends.
0Comment| 189 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 April 2008
My 5 year old was given this as a present and he loves it. He very quickly worked out that you need to have a complete circuit and he happily makes different circuits to do different things. With a bit of explanation he understands what is going on so can trouble shoot on his own. It is so easy to pop together that there is no reason why younger children cannot benefit - particularly with a bit of adult help.
on 21 September 2007
My son got this for his 7th birthday, and 18 months on still loves it! I highly recommend it as it has kept him busy for hours on end. We will now be getting him Cars and Boats for Xmas
on 28 November 2008
I bought this for my 7 yr son last christmas, he loves it. He found the instructions easy to follow so was up and running in a couple of minutes. The helicopter and the sirens are great fun, he also experiments by using bits of tin foil, cutlery and other bits and pieces as part of the circuit to see what does and doesn't conduct electricty.
on 16 November 2007
My son got this from his grandmother last birthday (age 6) and has played and played with it. It comes with an easy to follow set of plans for instant gratification...loud noises, dramatic flight of a spinning disc and lights flashing but has spent hours creating his own circuits. Well worth the money and far better value than some available at 2 and 3 times the price. Definately recommended for little boys with active minds!
on 27 March 2008
My son who is 8 loves this toy. He spends hours experimenting with different circuits. His brother who is 5 also enjoys connecting the pieces togerther and trying to make the lights or sirens work. I don't think they can understand the principles of connecting circuits in series or parallel but it doesn't seem to matter
on 14 May 2011
Looking for an economically priced electronics kit for my 8 year old nephew, I came across this "Primary 2 Kit". At GBP19.95 it seemed to be reasonably priced and the description suggested it was complex enough to be interesting, without being too over the top. I wasn't sure that my nephew would be interested in messing around with such a kit, so there didn't seem much point in blowing a fortune on a more expensive or more complicated job.

On arrival, I had a look through it before I gave it to him. My impression was that it seemed fairly cheaply made. The box itself has fairly poor quality print on it, with noticeable graininess of script and imagery. The building blocks are strips of plastic with snap buttons on the end of them (similar to those that you find on the front of a coat). Electronic components appear roughly soldered on the back of the strips, leaving them open to damage if handled roughly. One of the strips is a dummy strip, which can be used to extend the kit with your own components, but there doesn't appear to be a good method of attaching components to it. It can also be confusing for the child if he accidentally uses the dummy strip in a circuit: it isn't immediately obvious why the circuit won't work. Still, this teaches fault finding skills, so I guess it's kind of a feature. My biggest gripe would be the instruction manual: it seems more oriented towards assisted play, with the parent guiding the child. I would have preferred two sets of instructions: one written appropriately for the the child and one with additional teaching aids for the parent. My nephew is a good reader, so he *could* certainly read the instructions, but he is simply too lazy to do so.

That said, my nephew immediately fell in love with the kit and started playing with it. Up to now he has not broken anything, except for blowing the protective fuses on the battery holders. A few spare fuses would have been nice, but I guess they are not hard to find on the high street. Due to the delay in getting the replacement fuses, he lost some interest in the kit. Perhaps a good idea to pre-emptively buy spares beforehand. If he would follow the individual exercises in the instructions I'm sure he could learn a lot. Just randomly messing around with the bits and bobs as he has done will probably not bring as strong an understanding.

All in all, the kit is decent enough value but I would prefer it to be more solo-play capable.
on 6 March 2010
i bought this for my 8 year old. He loves it. We spent a couple of hours working through the basic set-ups together and now he plays with it independently. The flying fan is a special favourite.
My only disappointment is that the kit contains two bulbs - one of which never worked - and a lot of the experiments require two bulbs. if this is a gift, it might be worth opening it up and buying in some spare bulbs in advance.
on 19 March 2011
This is a great toy - I initially bought it by mistake thinking it was for five year olds but the box says age 8. Nevertheless we decided to give it to our son for Christmas to see how he would get on with it and he absolutely loves it - best present of the year. Admittedly with a five year old you might well want to supervise them so that they don't blow any fuses or break any parts but it is a very educational and fun set.

We've since bought the same set for two other children as birthday presents and will investigate the other products for our son in due course.

The parts all clip together well and there is an explanatory booklet which is very clear.

Since making this review a few months back I am pleased to say that my son still loves the set. We had one problem which was wiring on the red LED part breaking as my son is a little heavy handed. No problem as I emailed the manufacturer and they came back to me really quickly with details of how to get a replacement part at a reasonable cost.
on 10 June 2016
Loved by my 6 year old and he seems to understand what it teaches whilst enjoying putting it together. First used it with instructions and continues to go back to it and make kits without from memory. A great resource and the wife was impressed that I'd got it and of course at how pleased he was with it!