on 25 March 2018
Not bad, and provides a fair amount of scientific explanation understandable by ages 7+ I'd say, but if I'd known that I could have a product almost exactly the same but with more interesting experiments for just £10 more I'd've passed. That's what I found in "John Adams Hot Wires Electronics Kit" – experiments including light/dark-activated switches, radio transmitting/receiving, even logic switches. On the plus side, all the parts of Cambridge Brainbox's kit will connect easily with the John Adams kit – but the latter also has a less fiddly board, which was an element I glossed over in other reviews of Brainbox that I read here before my purchase. It's not necessarily important (you can build the circuits without the board), but if you're trying to keep your circuits neat then it's very useful – so especially in classroom settings, I'd say!
on 27 June 2017
We bought this for our 3 year old so he could learn about circuits.

In our first session we discovered one of the switches to be a bit flaky with intermittent reliability. A few minutes later, one of the small wires which holds the poppers in place fell out meeting another component could not stay clipped into the circuit.

Though these small faults are annoying, we still managed to get a lot of enjoyment out of the kit.

We only wish there was more variation of components, so we'll probably buy another set which can extend this one.

A great idea which would benefit from a market for individual components.
on 26 March 2015
I bought this for Christmas for my son. Both he and my daughter (7&9) love it. They can experiment with the fan, lights and buzzers, inventing circuits and seeing if they work. I would have loved one of these as a child! The fan can be rigged to take off - it can go so fast: this was great fun for them at Christmas, but not so for Granddad trying to snooze off his Boxing Day lunch.... It also falls in line with Primary education and both had used similar kits in school. In fact the leaflet inside is geared towards teachers. Now the boats and planes kit is on his birthday list....
on 20 August 2014
Bought for my 5-year-old grandson, he couldn't put it down from the moment he started. The way the complexity of the circuits is increased from the very simple is good. The diagrams were easy for him to follow and he could assemble the circuits quickly. It needed an adult to read the supporting text explaining what was happening and what each circuit was teaching (My grandson just wanted to get onto the next circuit as quickly as possible). I was able to assemble my own 'faulty' circuits and get him to say why they wouldn't work and then fix them himself so they would work. An excellent first introduction to circuits.

I was so impressed by this set I ordered the Cars & Boats companion set, which was a big let-down after this one.
on 31 January 2012
I read all the favourable reviews before choosing this product, and am pleased to say that it has totally lived up to my expectations.
My 6 year old son sat down with his dad on Christmas day and got some initial help with understanding how it works. But he was soon carrying out electrical connections all by himself - proudly showing me light bulbs, a fan and a buzzer. He went back to this toy on several occasions throughout the Christmas holiday, and I am confident that he will enjoy getting the kit out again in the future.
Quite obviously, this has educational value because it teaches children about electrical circuits. It gives your child the chance to use his/her initiative in working out their own circuits. It is creative because at the end of the activity they are rewarded with a light, or a sound which they have cause to happen. It is also fun, because it looks bright and colourful.
on 10 June 2016
Loved by my 6 year old and he seems to understand what it teaches whilst enjoying putting it together. First used it with instructions and continues to go back to it and make kits without from memory. A great resource and the wife was impressed that I'd got it and of course at how pleased he was with it!
on 31 December 2013
There is a wide range of potentially interesting components but they are difficult to use. The base board and the press studs are very tight and spoil the fun because you are too busy fighting to clip things on to the board. The instruction manual is comprehensive but not very friendly or inviting. Perhaps over time we'll get used to it and the set will prove to have its uses but so far it's disappointing.
VINE VOICEon 16 April 2012
This is a great fun and learning product. It requires 4 AA batteries to power the circuitry. There is a booklet detailing a number of circuit designs which can light bulbs, activate sirens and speakers, or cause an electric motor to rotate etc. The parts are quite durable and easy to assemble. The fact it is battery powered makes it quite safe, although watch out for the rotating fan which can be shot into the air. The booklet is very easy to follow, and a clever 4 year old can copy the circuit designs. Good fun and recommended.
on 29 June 2017
Bought this for my 7 year old brother. He absolutely loves it and it is really making him think about how things work. He's been playing with it for a few months and the dog has stood on it a few times and it is still going.
on 4 March 2015
A nice set but disappointing that some of the circuits described in the booklet require components that aren't in the box. That does seem a bit odd really.
4 people found this helpful