Customer reviews

Tchaikovsky: Symphony 5, Francesca da Rimini
Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 27 December 2013
I really rate this CD, and Gustavo Dudamel, and the very young orchestra. They are all brilliant and this is a wonderful recording of Tchaikovsky's 5th symphony.
on 16 April 2009
This orchestra of young players, many of whom come from a deprived background, is quite fantastic. I have to confess that the interpretation of the Symphony under the charismatic Gustavo Dudamel is not particularly to my taste - I prefer Mariss Janson and the Oslo Philharmonic on Chandos, but the Francesca da Rimini can surely have never been bettered. The disc is worth the price for this alone. Highly recommended.
on 16 May 2009
There have rarely been better performances of these 2 seminal works. The performers provide a passion and commitment that stems, in part, from these being live performances, but it goes far deeper than that; there seems to be a genuine affection for this marvellous music and the finale of the 5th has to be one of the most exciting I have heard of this work.

In short, I can thoroughly recommend this to all who like Tchaikovski or those coming to this music for the first time.
on 17 June 2009
Tchaikovsky's 5th has been my all time favourite classical symphony since I first heard it as a teenager some 42 years ago. During those years I've owned various recordings and heard it live on many occasions, yet this recording contains all sorts of detail I had never heard before, and exudes a precision and excitement that most professional orchestras seem unable to generate. Absolutely First Class!
on 15 March 2009
Once again an excellent presentation from this extremely poular and enigmatic team. Everything that Dudamel attempts with this orchestra is brimming with exhuberance and new found insight. they seem to breathe new life into everything that they perform. You can feel the dedication from all members of the orchestra towards Dudamels coaxing and shaping. The power and also the delicacy - nothing is missed out.Many of the solo sections are sculptured by such talented and still budding young musicians. All of this keeps your undivided attention to each and every note , something very rare and compelling to this type of often expansive and yet familiar music.The 5th track - Francesca Da Rimini carries even further the excitement and pathos more than the symphony itself - the icing on the cake with its explosive closing bars rightly brings the tumultous applause from an audience leaping to its feet. I thoroughly recomend it.
VINE VOICEon 8 April 2009
If 3 stars equals "Average/middling performance" then because of the very fine Francesca da Rimini performance it is a bit harsh for this disc. But then, surely most buyers will get this for the Fifth Symphony rather than for the Symphonic Poem. Perhaps if it were possible then a rating ***(*) would be nearer the truth.

I listened to the disc "blind", not knowing who the conductor or orchestra was. My comment at the time was "Fairly good recording quality but not an interpretation that lights up too much." Indeed, some bits of the long first movement seemed to be rather carefully done - to the detriment of the emotional temperature. But these things are very subjective and I can only share how I felt. Given the price of this disc it needs to have something different to uncover in the music from "ordinary" interpretations because it is under intense competition from great interpreters like Mravinsky Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 5 who produce astonishingly intense performances in goodish sound. Alas I do not feel that it did so.

Yes I know: I am a mean and ungenerous person as this is an orchestra made up of kids, who are finding meaning in life by discovering "classical" music and playing it to good standards. Yet I cannot escape the suspicion that the Yellow Cartouche label is trying to pull off a marketing trick here: full price Tchaikovsky disc by a wonderful new talent and his special orchestra of charismatic youth delivers a unique experience.

And you know I might have had just that response had I known that this was a youth orchestra, as I am as sentimental as much of the rest of humanity. But I listened without the information and could say at the time of hearing that I much preferred Askenazy Tchaikovsky: Symphonies Nos. 4, 5 & 6, Pappano Tchaikovsky- Symphonies Nos 4 5 & 6 and the above-mentioned Mravinsky. And surely, DGG used to market its full-price discs using orchestras like the Berlin and Vienna Philharmonics, the Dresden Staatskapelle, the Leningrad Philharmonic, or, with Sinopoli, our own excellent Philharmonia (and even here there were mixed responses from professionals).

Are Universal doing Dudamel any favours by marketing him as a "young lion"? He can be spectacular in concert (I have seen him live on two occasions, once when he did a hair-raising Mendelssohn "Scottish" with the CBSO, losing his baton in the process) but I don't think he has transferred that to the medium of recording as yet. In this he is not alone as Karajan reportedly (see Osbourne's biography) was fighting the same battle in the early 1950's and Rattle was turning out alarmingly wonderful live performances of Mahler in Symphony Hall, Birmingham, whilst producing a rather timid set of recorded symphonies (except for the Second).

Well, after all that it is very pleasing to be able to say the the Francesca da Rimini is a wonderful performance, conducted with great elan and flair and with the orchestra playing its socks off! So good is this that it is ALMOST worth buying the disc for this alone, though you would have to be a Tchaikovsky afficianado or a Dudament "fan" to do that.

A mixed disc then. If you can sample it before buying I would strongly advise you to do so. Otherwise, there are many Tchaikovsky 5ths that are more exciting and more at one with the emotinal world of the composer and at a cheaper price.
on 23 July 2009
Dudamel has excited my imagination since he first appeared in England and his work as a conductor seems to have the same effect on many people in the audiences he plays to.His work on "Fiesta" and his album "Live from Caracas"perfectly illustrates my point-listen with your ears and enjoy.
on 11 November 2010
Simon Bolivar Youth Orchestra of Venezuela is refreshing in the world of classical music.
Orchestra performed this P.I Tchaikovsky n° 5 symphony at the 2008 Salzburg festival, conducted brilliantly by Gustavo Dudamel.
A CD we must have.
on 15 June 2013
I have allways liked the Tchaikovsky's symphonies. Specially number 4 to 6-

Dudamel with Simon Bolivar Youth Orchestra give Tchaikovsky's fiths symphony a new dimension.

I like it very much.
on 16 November 2014
Perhaps the best cd yet from Dudamel. Symphony 5 is very good, but Francesca is the real gem. Best performance I've ever heard. Buy it, no, run and buy it!!!