Customer reviews

Platform: Nintendo DS|Change
Price:£13.98+ £2.03 shipping

on 21 February 2009
Lord of the Rings Conquest is the first ever LOTR game for the Nintendo DS, so being a huge fan of the DS and Lord of the Rings, this is a game I couldn't miss. I finished the game fairly quickly which consisted of a good and evil campaign. Here are some pros and cons about the game...

Pros

>Very good graphics for a DS, a huge step up from the older LOTR gba games
>The gameplay is fun although could become a bit repetative
>A good AND evil campaign
>At a certain point in each level you have the option of playing as a giant (good = ent) (evil = troll)
>Play as heros
>You can either use the control pad or the stylus
>Your allies follow you into battle
>Very similar to Star Wars Battlefront
>Difficulty setting (easy, normal or elite)
>Statistics recorded e.g. battles fought, time played
>You collect badges and medals as you progress through the game
>Tutorial level
>Ability to link up with a friend

Cons

>Despite there being 11 levels, there are only 6 maps (Mines of Moria, Helms Deep, Pelenor Fields, Minas Tirith, Plains of Gorgoroth and the Black Gate)
>Only 3 classes, warrior, archer and mage
>Does not take long at all to complete (around a week on and off)

All in all this is a great Lord of the Rings game even though it didn't last long, I would definitely reccommend this to any Lord of the Rings or Battlefront fan.
on 21 September 2009
Got this game just over a week ago and was pleased with the graphics and overall game play. Fighting does become a bit easy after a while but is fun. Main issue is the length. I finished this in just over a week and i was not playing it more than a few hours a day. There are options to do instant action, conquest etc. but these are based on the same maps and even though you can follow either Gandalf or Sauron the battle scenarios are the same.

Good game but due to length would not highly recommend hence the three stars.
This is, I think, the best LOTR game you can buy today. The games of the films, (The Fellowship of the ring, The two Towers, The return of the King) are good enough in themselves, but there is no branch out of the roleplay. It's all clustered around what exactly happens in the film.
In this game,however, it introduces Star Wars Battlefront style gameplay to a Lord of the rings scene. What will you do? Fight with the forces of Rohan, Gondor , The last alliance, Hobbits, Elves, Men, Dwarves, Ents and Heroes such as Gandalf and Aragorn? Or will you seek to destroy Middle earth with the forces of Sauron and Saruman?
You decide.
Personally, I think the game is very addicting! A real escape from the traditional LOTR games. I would recommend it to all LOTR lovers and even for those who love Star Wars Battlefront and have never heard of The Lord Of The Rings!
22 Comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 May 2010
This LOTR game is a game that is great for the LOTR fans. You get to complete 5 different missions on the main campaign for the 'good' side and then 5 different missions on the main campaign for the 'evil' side. You complete the good campaign as shown in the film, till the point of the Black Gate. However, once that is completed, you then become the evil side and go from the black gate backwards, so conquering Helms Deep, Minia Tirith and the mines of lothlorian. One major downside is that there are only the same 5 locations for the good and evil campaigns, something I think should of been expanded on.

This shortness in locations makes the game not last long in playing time, in the respect that I completed this game in about 5 hours. The content is good, but is not long enough to be a recognised game.

However, if you enjoy the LOTR films, or have previously played on the LOTR middle earth games, then this is definately the game for you.
on 20 March 2010
I ordered this for my son for Christmas not knowing if it would be the right thing. It came in good time & he was delighted Christmas morning. He is an avid Lord of the Rings fan & this was a great addition for him!
on 8 April 2011
My nearly 12 year old son says:

"WOW!!!I got this game about a year ago and I still love it. It's great if you want an ACTION-PACKED game, with GOOD GRAPHICS on your ds as well as the story full of fun playable charactors (Saruman,Aragorn,Legolas etc)and forces(mage,archer or swordsman), you can even be Sauron!!!!!!

pros:
amazing story
play as good or evil
good graphics
6 places
brillient music/sounds
amazing detail

cons:
can't be heroes in conquest/instant action.

Instant action is a lot like (if you have played it) Star Wars battlefront.And conquest is the same but you can choose the battlefield and the side."
on 31 December 2009
bought as a present they enjoyed it
on 10 October 2012
I love Lord of the Rings and was super excited when this finally popped through my letter box. I swept it up and dashed happilly to my bedroom to pop this into my DS and...my excitement vanished almost instantly. Terrible gameplay, terrible graphics, the only redeeming quality is Howard Shore's score from the movies.

This game was marketed to me as having the same epic feel as the LOTR movies. Hah! Pull the other one. I'm meant to be fighting armies and all that happens is I pick a blob with a shield, bow, or stick and wander off to fight a handful of slightly darker blobs (or rather, I bump into them and wave my sword while they do the same) and once the area is cleared (which takes about two seconds) I wander off in search of another handful of enemies to fight. The big tough enemies (such as cave trolls) which should instill some fear once they come into play are equally as laughable, they pose no challenge at all.

I can't bring myself to 'finish' this game but from what I hear it's really short anyway. Don't waste your money! (Third Age for PS2 was better!)

It would be one star, but the music was good ._.
on 19 October 2010
You would love playing this game and you are able to play almost any character, good or evil.