on 9 June 2015
First impression when I unboxed it "Where's the rest of it?" It's so small! Not much bigger than a can of Pepsi, and a bit lighter than a full one too. The bayonet adaptor (for Nikon) does not give quite the same feeling of quality that you'd expect of Nikkor lens - I doubt it would wear as well, but this hardly matters. You get it on the camera and it just makes sense. It's short, light and simple to use too. Set the camera to manual exposure, and set the on-camera autofocus switch to Manual (if it has one) - you won't find one on the lens. Neither will you find an aperture ring - it's fixed at f8 forever, which is fine. The box includes a couple of small Neutral Density filters, but I doubt I will use them; The skylight filter included probably will get lots of use though. NOTE: These filters go on the back of the lens, not the front, which is culture shock for those who like me, tend to leave a skylight filter on the lens just to protect the front element from finger marks, dust, and all the other dangers our beloved optics face every day. Most of the time I expect to just set the shutter speed to 1/500 and fiddle with the ISO to get the exposure right. For action shots that include panning, maybe a bit slower 1/250 or 1/320 to give the background more blur.
The general impression of build quality is fairly good. It won't take being dropped, but it a lens not a tennis ball, so you know that - be careful. The focus ring has a smooth action. It does not come with a rear lens cap for the bayonet though, so if you're planning to leave the bayonet adapter permanently on the lens (why not), you might want to buy one.
As for sharpness, I've not had time yet to really analyse that properly, and the shots I have taken are hampered by a little noise from the high ISO setting used because the light was poor, but it looks fine bearing in mind that it isn't autofocus, relying instead on the old fashioned Mk1 eyeball.
Value for money? Fantastic!
10 people found this helpful
on 29 November 2016
Do your research before buying one, but works as advertised.
Note that your photos will have a faint vignette effect.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
8 people found this helpful
on 5 August 2013
Having just moved into the modern age, my new digital Pentax has a 'K' mount, so was looking to replace my ancient screw mount 500mm telephoto lens.
This seemed to fit the requirements perfectly, although I was sceptical on two fronts.
First, was it actually any good - the price suggested that it may not be very good.
Secondly, having never used a mirror lens before - again the actual quality was suspect - to me at least.
Having now used it a few times, I can say with confidence, that my fears were unfounded. It works very well indeed, and is a lot easier to handle than my old lens.
If you're pondering this lens then ponder no more - it's well worth the money and the results are good.
9 people found this helpful
on 18 March 2015
Excellent lens. T-Mount and 3 filters included in the package. The filters are a skylight filter, a ND2 and a ND4 filter. Just one minor problem. When I attached the T-Mount to the lens and attached it to the camera the index mark on the lens for focussing was on the underneath. Not ideal, but I found that if I loosen three screws on the T-Mount, the lens can be rotated so the focussing index mark is visible at the top. This may not be the case on all T-Mounts.
3 people found this helpful
on 16 February 2018
Sadly, the lens would not produce a sharp image despite my best efforts even with the camera rock steady on a tripod in bright sunlight. All images displayed a soft focus. I have a Canon EF 75-300mm lens that produces images that can be enlarged to give way sharper pictures than the Opteka could manage. I had no real choice other than to return it.
on 23 March 2015
When they say you have to do it in manual mode they ain't kidding! Even the camera's light meter doesn't work with this lens, so you have to take test shots to get the light right, then every time the light changes you have to keep taking more test shots. Strictly speaking it doesn't deserve 2 stars for that as it is advertised as a manual lens.

Image quality for me wasn't as good as my 55-200mm kit lens. The two stars are a reflection of my disappointment with it, I guess the price they are asking I shouldn't expect miracles! I would return it, but I damaged the box getting it open. I'll keep it and see if I can find some use for it. I really most learn not to expect too much from things that are cheap!
on 15 January 2018
Lightweight and nice balance with very smooth focus ring - unfortunately a little bit too soft and very shallow depth of field. Not quite as sharp as the optika 500mm super from the same seller, which I ordered at the same time to compare (as I couldn't decide between them.) Not a bad lens but for the money I preferred the other.
on 9 April 2018
this is a very good lens works very well, because of the fact that this lens works on manual it needs to be used on a trypod to get good photos,the price was good the build is good and used on a tripod good photos
on 6 March 2015
A great lens. Real value with perfect results when used in manual settings on my Nikon 3200. Perfect pictures of things I know are 11 miles away and nice when used with a tripod viewing Lunar body 250,000 miles away. I have used it with a solar foil to look at Sun spots. Don't do this unless you have a perfect fitting photo grade solar mask - you will melt your chip!
One person found this helpful
on 9 October 2015
interesting lens appears well made,not the easiest to use but it can take good images.
hand holding needs care but on a tripod it will be fine,not expensive so worth a shot
no pun intended,depth of field very small if you have peaking on your camera it will
help.it comes with three filters one skylight and two nd,s