Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£13.93+ £1.26 shipping

VINE VOICEon 6 February 2009
I don't often buy movie soundtracks, let alone movie scores, but after I'd seen the excellent Revolutionary Road a few nights ago I just couldn't get Thomas Newman's haunting title song out of my head so I bought this CD. The mood of the music varies from very down-beat and depressing to up-lifting and happy. If you've seen the film you'll know that it fits in perfectly with its scenes and storyline. The only down-side to this CD is that a majority of the tracks are just variations of the main music, so there may be only a limited amount of times that this will be listened to. Apart from that this is a great score that fans of the movie should love and I definitely recommend it.
on 3 August 2010
I am becoming more and more of a Thomas Newman fan, and this is one soundtrack to proves that his music is worth the time and effort. Newman's music is always so beautifully crafted, none more so than in this selection of tracks for the film. Not everyone will enjoy the use of the insistent theme that runs through them, but the over all effect is mesmeric, and combined with his orchestration, both subtle and tender. I never want it to end, when it does. Newman almost always includes sample music from the period, which you either like or dislike, but this can be selected out for a more continous experience. This is highly reccommended, especially to Newman fans
on 8 December 2009
Thomas Newman is the master of finding the right tunes for melodramatic movies. With his compositions he reaches a perfect feeling of melancholy, for you which you needn't necessarily watch the movie or even know it (although it helps to relive it). It is almost as emotional as his compositions for the movie 'Road to Perdition', which I can also highly recommend.
on 9 June 2013
Soundtrack or soundscape? This work complements the film beautifully, so as to leave you in a place and mood that is both calming yet contemplative. I love to listen to this album on my ipod at work, especially when I need to focus on a particular job that requires 'head down, leave me alone' time. It works on so many levels. The longest track, April, is particularly remarkable - listening to it gives enjoyment on one level. But you really have to hear, and feel it to get the most out of it. Close your eyes and it lifts you to a whole other spiritual place.

As a collective whole, this album stirs up the same wistful evocative images of mid 20th century Americana as the movie that it serves. I am a great admirer and fan of Thomas Newman's work. He manages to take musical cues and turn them into soothing motifs that remain with you long after the album (or film) have finished. This surely is a sign of a job well done.
on 1 June 2009
I heard this once on the radio and couldn't get it out of my head so I had to go and buy the cd. Thomas Newman excels once again. Wonderful!
on 17 December 2012
Simple and beautiful, this soundtrack is one of my personal favourites. The music is extremely evocative, moving and relaxing and I don't think you would need to have seen the film to appreciate it (although the film is wonderful). I would recommend it highly as one of the top soundtracks of the last 10 years, and a classic Thomas Newman score.
on 12 January 2013
Bought this album after hearing the main track on Radio 2 one night... Takes your breath away! However it can be a bit repetitive as there are several reprieves of the same track and other tracks are very similar in style... I still really enjoy listening to it though : Great for relaxation!
on 29 August 2015