Customer reviews

The Best Of Saxon
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 11 May 2017
Was an experimental purchase but I was very pleased with the album , and will be examining their back catalogue in the future .
on 25 May 2017
Very good album good all time tunes. Great price very good service . Joe uk
on 1 November 2017
Great cd. Perfect
on 20 January 2017
Saxon have a back catalogue of around 20 studio album's. (As of 2016).If you've just discovered them, try this compilation. Lots of their classic song's from the 80's are here.
on 26 July 2017
Excellent. As described
on 3 April 2015
It's got everything you could want from a Saxon best of album. The only disappointment for me was that I have heard remastered versions of a few of these songs that really beef them up so they don't sound as dated. I assumed these versions would be on this album. Unfortunately not. I have since found out that these versions are on a reissue of Heavy Metal Thunder (another compilation album which also includes a live CD) that was only released in February 2015. As such I would recommend that album over this one.
on 2 July 2009
It has to be close on 20 years since I last really listened to Saxon, Crusader being the last album I bought. Of the late 70s to early 80s crop of metal bands, I always considered Saxon to be just a cut above the competition with great riffs, good vocals and memorable songs. Other bands may have had greater 'commercial' success, but with Saxon you knew what you were getting every time. Since most of their recordings that I own were on tape cassette, I had been looking for a suitable overview of their output which HAD to include '747'; 'Wheels of Steel'; 'Denim & Leather' and the superb 'Dallas 1pm'. Yip they are all here! From start to finish this CD contains no nonsence, no frills, head down rock-n-roll. Interestingly the main body of the recordings contained on this CD come from 4 albums (Wheels of Steel / Strong Arm of The Law / Denim & Leather / Power & The Glory) the period of their greatest success. If you like metal at its melodic best, get this compilation.
on 9 October 2001
I first listened to Saxon some 20 years ago as a long haired youth into the "New Wave of British Heavy Metal" and have not listened to them much over the past 15 years. This album brought it all back! an excellent slice of British heavy Metal from the 80's. The only bone of contention is the omission of the track "wheels of steel" despite this track being mentioned on the sleeve notes. That aside it is full of great songs that give you a real taste of what Saxon were all about. The Eagle has landed, 747-Strangers in the night, Dallas 1pm, denim and leather, the band played on etc, are all here. A couple of the live tracks are not the best mix quality but they are listenable. If you want to know about Saxon or wish to rediscover their appeal buy this album!
on 12 July 2001
What an album - Saxon were the first band I ever saw, back in the mid 80s. I can honestly say they got me into metal music but fifteen years or so later I started to listen less and less to my collection (marriage and kids and stuff and lack of time)but I came across the old vinyls whilst clearing out my loft and have got back into it big time (appart from the long hair !). So I looked for a "best of" album to try and summarise the Saxon albums, and I can't stop playing it at home, work and in the car.
Tha album boasts such classics as Denim and Leather, 747, Ride Like the Wind, And The Bands Played On, Never Surrender and Princess of the Night. The whole thing brings back big memories. I guess the only track that's not on there that should be included in a best of collection is Wheels of Steel, but I'm sure that will be on "The VERY Best of Saxon" when that's released - can't wait.
So, if like me, you were into Saxon twenty odd years ago but haven't listened to them in a long while, buy this album and you'll wonder why you ever stopped listening to them in the first place. (And I bet you'll still remember all the lyrics too !)
on 2 August 2009
This Album brings back great memories of being at school and first seeing saxon on TOTP. I kind of lost touch with the Band after 1985 and did not get any of the albums made after (i think i will have to now!). This album however, is a classic! Crank up the CD or ipod and rock with one of the best Heavy Metal bands this country has produced. Hearing the classics such as Motorcycle Man, 747 and wheels of steel will make you remember why you liked this band in the first place.

For those of you who are too young to remember them, you must check this album out and find out where many of the modern metal bands get their influences from.