Customer reviews

One Night at Budokan
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 20 June 2017
A live set by Mr Cozy Powell gives this album a cult status worth the asking price plus there's an excellent version of UFO's Doctor,Doctor but in my own opinion Richie Blackmore is still the superior guitarist whether with Deep Purple or Rainbow there's no contest.
on 7 August 2017
excellent
on 18 August 2017
love this cd
on 18 April 2017
I would have liked Schenker's guitar higher up in the mix. The drums were a bit over powering!
on 2 March 2017
excellent guitar playing and great songs from the legend Michael schenker
on 31 May 2015
This is very much a flashback to my late teens. I was always a fan of Mr Schenker having been introduced to his work via a UFO album 'Strangers in the night'

I'm not going to give a track by track review, this has been done numerous times elsewhere. I will comment on the presentation and the sound quality of the album.

I paid £13.99 for this back in 1982 on a Japanese Import, it was fantastic back in the day but my tastes changed and I ended up selling it back in 1984 for a small fraction of what I paid. And yes I've kicked myself a few times since.

In comparison to the original CD release,' this offering has added 'Tales of Mystery' and 'Cozy Powell Drum Solo' introduced by '633 Squadron'
theme. These are useful but not absolutely essential additions for me. Others may disagree... There is also a nice little booklet enclosed but the typeset is too small for my 53 yr old eyes.

The real bonus here though is the remastering job. This has reaped several benefits for me. A cleaner, clearer sound with Gary Bardens vocals brought out much better than previously. There has also been other sonic improvements including better separation of instruments and Chris Glen's bass being just that bit tighter.

Overall an excellent re-release. Anybody remotely interested in Michael Schenker or early Eighties NWOBHM would be well advised to get this album. And its been brought bang up to date regarding the sound quality.

Its a shame that this very talented line up didnt stay together for longer. Im sure there are reasons for Cozy and Paul departing when they did but there is a lot that could but (after Cozys sad passing a few years back!) will never happen now.

Recommended.
on 24 January 2009
Bought this re-master and stuck it in iTunes straight away. It's so new that CDDB didn't even recognize the tracks. Really annoying having to type in all the info! Nice remix though, not much different, real clarity in the guitar sound. I had in fact forgotten just how good this is. Schenker was such a perfectionist I can't remember a bum note. Even live the speed, melody and structure of his soloing should be a lesson for all guitar players.
For those of us old enough to remember it takes you back to 1981. I remember being in the front row of the tour gigs slagging off the support band (Starfighters I think), head bangin' away to the solo intro on "Attack of the Mad Axeman" and watching all starry eyed in wonderment as my idol played "Courvoisier Concerto". God I wish I could play like that!

Reasons to buy another copy then. Not much extra in terms of an inducement to persuade you to fork out for this one. Nice artwork and reading material yet again. There are 2 extra tracks to complete the original set line up. "Tales of Mystery" has been inserted and whilst good has nothing like the pure emotional feel of the guitar playing and vocal on the original recorded version. I don't know where they snatched this from as the sound is not the same quality. Then comes the "Cozy Powell Drum Solo". This was a good showpiece live with a twist of "633 Squadron" and "Over The Top" (RIP Cozy). Well that's 11 minutes of my life I'll never get back! He was a real powerhouse drummer but recording a drum solos does nothing for me at all. They're OK when you're there at the gig with the pyrotechnics, atmosphere, etc but it just doesn't transfer to play back.

In summary, well you just wouldn't believe it was live the playing is so good. The band were a really tight and well-rehearsed outfit performing at their peak. The music is dominated by but not spoiled by lead guitar but then that was Schenker's writing talent. There was only two albums of songs to draw from so plenty of room to spread out and indulge. Whilst "Strangers in the Night" is still my favorite live album, in terms of virtuoso guitar playing, this could well be it's equal. "Cry For The Nations", "On and On", "Courvoisier Concerto" and "Lost Horizons" are magic. If you are a guitar player and a fan of heavy guitar based rock and roll then you need to buy this one to see how it was done. Definite five stars.
on 1 September 2017
THANK YOU for this CD received June 28, 2017. Packaging ok. Arrived in perfect conditions. I will recommend it to my friends who like this group and Scorpions. CD well done. See you soon. Cordially. Yves
on 29 November 2015
Once you've got used to the absolute majesty of Strangers in the Night, there is no way this is as good. The guitar brilliance is still there of course, but it tries to lift too many mediocre songs. A great guitarist doesn't make a great band, like UFO were at their peak. It's still good, but not great.
on 12 November 2017
Sometimes struggle to think of the one album that I like more than anything I’ve ever listened to,this is probably as close I can think of.
Beyond brilliant guitar playing.