Format: DVD|Change

on 21 October 2009
I got my DVD from Amazon.com and have to say it's well worth waiting for. The interaction between the main players is great. The arc of the story is not crime driven but character driven which gives it so much scope. Fake psychic Patrick Jane turns Consultant for California Bureau of Investigation after death of his wife and daughter at the hands of serial killer Red John. But this does not dominate the series, it is just the thread that holds it together which is very clever.

All the main players are superb in their roles. Each episode is finely played out with some great comic touches. It could be seen as a star vehicle for Simon Baker (who is superb) but the others (Robin Tunney, et al) are all equally as good.

As for the DVD it has all episodes, gag reel, couple of docs and some of the episodes have lost evidence (bits that were cut out from the originals), and subtitles in various languages including English.

I would highly recommend this. A different type of "cop" show. Not much telly has been "must see" over the past few years, but The Mentalist is the exception.
on 16 April 2009
This programme is brilliant. It's got a perfect balance of humour, serious crime solving & a bit of "will they, won't they" between 2 of the main characters. It's such a fresh approach to the crime solving - after 9 series of CSI and two spin-off's, crime drama's were getting a bit dull, but this is definitely worth watching. I've watched most of series 1 (downloaded from the net) & I've not come across a rubbish storyline yet. Simon Baker plays Patrick Jane really well. The character could be perceived as incredibly arrogant as he knows how clever and intuitive he is, but he does it in such a way that it's funny when he's always right! Plus, the underlying storyline of Red John and Jane's wife & child makes you want to watch the next episode to see if that story unfolds anymore. Hope they do a second series!
77 Comments| 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 16 November 2009
Yes, how come Simon Baker didn't win the Emmy he was nominated for as the male lead in this show?

The Mentalist is one of those shows that I didn't 'get' at first, having caught an episode halfway into the season. I thought I'd give it a try as I really liked Simon Baker from The Guardian, but I couldn't see the angle - is it Police, is it supernatural, is it Scooby-Doo and so on? Then FIVE started to re-run the entire series again and after watching the pilot episode, I was hooked. You really need to understand where Simon Baker's character comes from to enjoy the show. Bits of his past are drip fed throughout the series: watch out for those because they are real gems.

What sets The Mentalist aside from other US shows is the fact that the entire supporting cast are all rounded characters. So you're not just watching Simon Baker's luminous performance(luminous is the word that springs to mind, watch it and you'll agree I think), but also you end up caring about the other members of the team, who are not the usual cardboard cutouts.

The Extras have some really interesting interviews to the cast as well as a pretty good featurette about psychics/mentalists and such things.

My only gripe is that this boxset is not available yet in the UK so I had to buy it from Amazon US, and of course had to pay import plus it took about a month to arrive. Now please let's all lobby FIVE so that they screen Season 2 before the next millennium, they have bought the rights but clearly they are in no great hurry to let us see it.
on 2 April 2010
Although from a whole host of similar cop formula shows, The Mentalist is special. The character of a reformed con-psychic with Holmes' powers of observation, recognition of others mental processes, stupid bravery and a winning smile - is genius. We love the arrogant so-and-so. He crosses the line we wouldn't so much he's worn a groove. "Stick to the procedure? Where's the fun in that?" And the other characters are developing nicely, particularly the love interest. A little too much big bad man, Red John. But it covers all of California and its society so there's quite a lot of thought gone into this one.

This DVD gives you 22 episodes (I think) and some background interviews, bloopers and missing scenes. All-in-all excellent show that won't run out of ideas for a while. And no adverts!
on 4 September 2009
We absolutely loved the Mentalist series one. As a woman it's worth watching for Simon Baker alone but it's also great to see a show that's a bit different to everything else out there at the moment. If you didn't catch this series when it was on the TV it's well worth getting the DVD now, you won't regret it.
on 31 March 2011
This series proves that not everything coming from the States has to be nasty and violent, "The Wire" style. I saw one episode of that much-admired series last week on Spanish TV, and it made me feel that the Decline of the West can not be far off. "The Mentalist" has its share of bloody murders, its diligent policemen struggling against bureaucracy, good-cop bad-cop syndrome, but at least not one word in three is a cussword or worse, and this comment comes from an ageing American almost-hippy! The characters develop nicely, and even more so in series 2, now available in English on Spanish television. My two teenaged boys like it too, and isn't Simon Baker one of the most charming and yet troubled characters ever on TV?

This series is probably more for Sean Connery/Roger Moore 007s than for the Daniel Craig type of Bond. I bot series one here, and will go for year two this very afternoon.
on 29 February 2012
I've been hooked on the later series of 'The Mentalist' showing recently on Channel 5 and thought I'd buy this DVD start from the beginning. Contrary to my expectations, this show hit its stride from the very start and even the pilot has the richness and depth in characters and story that I've come to love of the later series.

Much has been said of the depth of the characters but it bears repeating. All are flawed, and seeing the imperfections and touches of humanity in all of them is a joy.

Simon Baker as the lead role, in tandem with some excellent scripts, strikes a difficult balance: an individual with a gift for observation and a ready supply of entertaining mind games, arrogant and charasmatic, who has learned (a little) humility following the murder of his wife and child. There must have been a temptation to make Patrick Jane a kind of superhero, a flawless crime fighter with supernatural powers but his stunts sometimes backfire and though he is loathed to admit it he is occasionally suprised as events unfold. And he gets a bloody nose for his troubles at least once every other episode... I think I would have more difficulty accepting Jane's abilities if I wasn't such a fan of a certain Mr D Brown, whose sharp mind, sharp tailoring, quick wits and occasional miscalculations are brought very readily to mind while watching this series. Many of the tricks and techniques such on display in Derren's TV and live shows are also present in Jane's repetoire.

The relationship between Jane and Lisbon is brought vividly to life and fairly crackles with the chemistry between the actors on screen. Though there are hints, we are fortunately spared any tiresome romantic involvement and an element of tension between them is brought deliciously into focus when Jane confides his aim if Red John is found.

Rigsby and Van Pelt's 'thing' feels a little more strained and is less believable. It is not a major plot line, however, and is treated with deftness and subtlety by the writers.

Disbelief must still occasionally be suspended for the sake of entertainment and at times the stories can be a little formulaic. It is rare, however, that I feel unsatisfied or disappointed and for that I am grateful. And with almost 1000 minutes of running time, there is more than enough here to keep me entertained for a few weeks.

I would recommend this series to anybody, even cynical old men who usually tut and roll their eyes at tedious american dramas. I defy you not to be charmed by this wonderful peice of entertainment.
I last remember seeing Simon Baker in a minor role in LA Confidential. Now he is the star of The Mentalist on 5 and The Guardian on BBC2.

Here Simon Baker plays Patrik Jane, who used to be a con artist pretending to be a Psychic, that was until he annoyed a serial killer who then taught him a lesson by killing his wife and little girl.

Now Patrik uses the skills of observation & hypnotism, that were useful for his previous con trick, for solving crimes.

This is an interesting additional to the US crime series recently hitting our screens. Probably not as good as Life or Dexter, but nevertheless well acted with original scripts. Good light entertainment and I enjoy it.
on 4 October 2016
Such a fabulous series, bought this for somebody else so they could see what I was raving about! Everybody I know who has watched the wonderful Patrick Jane in action can't talk about this series without smiling.
VINE VOICEon 31 August 2009
With the current trend of exciting, fancy, and modern methods of solving crimes in tv shows this series may initially seem that it wouldnt stand a chance. After watching the first season I really think this method is why I first started watching this types of shows. No high tech equipment, no special powers, just plain old simple logic and intelligence.

The basic plot of the series is a former psychic 'Mr Jane', who made his fortune by swindelling people out of money pretending to be psychic. He helps the CBI (californian bureau of investigation) for a while, but during this he gets on the nerves of a serial killer who muders his wife and daughter. He then changes his 'false' ways and becomes a consultant for the CBI hoping one day to settle his score, and catch and kill this killer called, 'red john'.

Each episode is very different, and all has sleuth, detective feel about it, trying to figure out who did what and how. Mr Jane being an ex fake psychic has some great skills which he can use which helps the CBI to catch these criminals. The thing I like the most is the character of Mr Jane, as he fits the role just right. Simon baker who also stars in the tv series the guardian plays a competely differnt role in this, and really has an appealing characterist about him, and he just really can act this role well. Without him this show would have not have been the same level it is.

The relationships between the CBI team is well scripted, and suits it well having the range of people who can make scenes interesting and hold them together.

I would certainly encourage anyone to give this a go, and watch it as I was very impressed by it. I feel it is a modern, slightly more darker take on some of the older tv series classics of detective playing. I can't wait for season 2, and as I said, I highly recommend this.