on 9 October 2015
When this album came out it was one of the best female singer/song writer albums to come out for a long time. First time I heard it, I just had to get it, since then I have collected Nerina Pallot's albums. This purchase was to replace the album as I lost the CD! Not a bad track on the whole album all good quality songs. The tracks that I find outstanding for different reasons are Everybody's Gone To War, Idahoo and Damascus. Smooth clear vocals with intelligent lyrics.
This was her second album which was released in 2005 and then reissued in 2006 with new artwork and remixes of the tracks. Her music is in her own style which is so unique that it doesn't make her commercial, hopefully she will make a great living from her music without being changed into a pop music puppet. Have a listen to the album and you will see what I mean, a really talented young lady who is going to be around for a while.
on 14 June 2012
This album engaged me easily at first with its strongly delivered songs that convey plenty of honest feeling and emotion, switching from one emotion to another with a rich and varied vocal.It works. But I find I rarely listen too it now - perhaps it is an underlying harshness to its overall tone, or the slight cynicism towards life that pervades it. The lyrics are thoughtful, and even if her overall outlook on life is not altogether positive, its all the more honest for that. Yet there is an abrasive quality to many of the songs, and that has an effect- this is not an album to relax to, it is not easy listening. The song writing is strong, the musical arrangements are engaging.....yet it sits in my rarely played pile. Youthful vigour carried through the more relaxing sound of [[ASIN:B00005NORA Dear Frustrated Superstar - REPROMOTION] - surely her best - this album eventually grates somewhat, and Year of the Wolf descended into middle-aged mediocrity. Love her early stuff though.
on 20 August 2017
A lovely album. I didn't know any of Nerina Pallot's music but heard her interviewed on the radio so thought I'd have a listen. I am glad I did.
on 28 December 2017
Exactly as described. Arrived in good time and I'm delighted with it. Thanks so much!
on 1 February 2018
Brilliant
on 12 January 2017
not one of best but good listening, some of her earlier Cd are much better
on 11 November 2014
A classic album. Nerina writes such beautiful songs full of melody and achingly beautiful lyrics. I hate picking out songs when there are so many classics but if you are in any doubt then down load Idaho, Sophia and Learning to Breathe to give you the full range of what you are going to get. Then once you are hooked buy her other albums. Then buy every EP from 2014. You are going to be blown away
on 18 January 2013
I bought this after hearing Nerina live on radio and this album is great. She's a really sweet voice and there are some great tunes on here. I didn't realise I knew some of her songs when I bought it, it was a nice supprise. Stand out track is undoubtably Sophia.
VINE VOICEon 28 September 2007
Nerina is one of those remarkable artists that not only does her voice make you sit up and take notice, so do her lyrics. especially in 'Everybody's gone to war' and the simply lovely 'Sophia' Her range and power of voice are simply amazing. this a worthy album for anyone's collection.
on 14 May 2016
A superb album full of great tracks and tunes. Nerina is a fine singer and songwriter and this is constantly on my playlist. A real talent and one that deserves more success. Just listen and appreciate beautiful words and a great voice.