Customer reviews

on 7 July 2017
If someone asked me what BJM album to start with I would probably pick five albums but this would be in that five.
If this was the only album they ever recorded it would be enough on its own to secure a place in rock n roll history.
The highlight for me is not only "straight up and down" short version but the mind blowingly long version at the end.
Truly one of the greatest bands of all time and the best thing to come out of America in thirty years.
on 9 March 2015
As a very late arrival on the BJM journey I am blown away by the quality of this album. Very much in the jangly end of psychedelic rock there are hints of all sorts of bands but the whole is utterly unique. Lyrically it has a lot of the dark side of Velvet Underground and not so much of the fey whimsy of Sgt. Peppers era Beatles. No bad thing as far as I am concerned. As others have already picked out, Monkey Puzzle is a great song but not actually my favourite which is the weird-out of My Man Syd, a classic reverential lovesong to a lost genius. The album comes in a very solid gatefold with two coloured vinyl discs which takes me back to the heady days of post-punk record buying in the lower sixth. Altogether a very strong package and a bargain for anyone who values raw emotional rock played on analogue equipment.
on 14 January 2015
Wow! Fantastic album, only found this band like a few others by watching Boardwalk Empire.
Cabin Fever personally is my stand out track, but there are just so many great tracks.
on 25 February 2017
Great album! Nice late 60ties sound! Perfect pressing too (not always lucky with new vinyl).
Must have!
Includes the Boardwalk Empire intro song.
on 11 March 2015
love it
on 3 May 2017
Great album
on 5 September 2013
If your into beatles stones psycedelia you should buy this. What a great record and many lovely songs. Anton is a way of life and i am living it
on 25 May 2014
It's exactly what I asked for, and arrived in plenty of time. I have no complaints.thank you : ) I got this cd after watching Dig music documentary. Which I would also recommend.
on 3 November 2014
Excellent album - first brought to my attention because Straight Up and Down is the title music to Boardwalk Empire. I'll search out their other recordings now.
on 5 April 2013
BJM at their best! The sequence of tracks including B.S.A, Mary Please and Monkey Puzzle is brilliant. Monkey Puzzle being Anton's strongest ever vocal! Great album that you should add to your collection.