Format: DVD|Change

on 16 November 2015
I can't begin to tell you how much Hector Levao was and is loved,
in the NY Latin scene. He was like the Porto Rican Elvis, of the
1970s.What we have here, is an average Bio-pic, but with great
music. A well filmed and well acted movie, but, not a great Bio-pic.

Jlo and Marc Anthony were married at the time of making this film,
and this was a bit of a passion project for them, as they both share
Porto Rican roots. This is a Nuyorican soap opera, because that is
what Hector Levao life was, a sad soap opera. A tragedy after tragedy.

This movies deals with his drug addiction and music career, and Jlo
and Anthony give good performances, but, it does drag on a bit. His
early career with Willie Colon and their El Malo/Boogaloo days are
skipped over, and we get the story of the start of Salsa... But the
1970s, is well covered. This maybe a movie, for Latin music lovers
only?... . I donno...
on 26 June 2013
I am Latino and really enjoy buying in Amazon cds dvds of my favourites artists, El Cantante is a great dvd, the life story of the famous late singer Hector Lavoe. Both Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony do a very good performance, I really enjoy it!
on 18 July 2013
If you are a J-Lo fan, you'll love this film. If you are a salsa fan, you'll love it even more. I bought this as used - vgc. It arrived before time, well packed and was as described by the seller, so I have no hesitation in recommending them to you.
on 18 March 2013
Bought this film for my husband - we both really enjoyed it. Marc Anthony was great as El Cantante and he sang brilliantly.
Would have given it 5 stars but it did jump around a bit too much.

Anyone who enjoys salsa or latin music will love this film.
on 31 March 2011
This is a great movie especially if you love salsa ing and spanish music and songs!! I really enjoyed it.
on 29 November 2013
Good film, good actors.
This dvd is a present to my sister who has been wanting this film for ages and she doesn't order or own a computer
right now.
So I ordered it for the pleasure of viewing the movie first, then handing it over as a small gift!
on 6 March 2010
great film for every salsa lover wanting to know the life of hector lavoe the man who created salsa!!
on 23 June 2013
one of the most inspirational films ever made, a great interpretation of Hector Lavoe's life, film arrived on time and in perfect condition
on 14 May 2015
This movie is only for people who like salsa music. jennifer is okay, but the movie boring!. Not so much action or drama.
VINE VOICEon 3 July 2009
I've been salsa dancing for three years, so I'll consume almost anything salsa-related with enthusiasm, but this is just an excuse for self-indulgence by Jennifer Lopez, with a bit of posing from Marc Anthony. The vehicle of getting J-Lo to tell the story retrospectively is tedious and laboured, using subtitles throughout is another cop-out. I hoped the songs would stand alone as music videos, (Aguanile is one of my all-time favourites) but they didn't. Then the DVD conked out. I ended up watching it at 32x and it was still too long.