Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Christmas Soul Playlist Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

Choke [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 20 November 2016
Great book the film is based on and the director did a terrific job of bringing it to screen. He's in it too, and plays a funny part. It's a quirky film and has to be when dealing with it the subject matter. If you are little prudish, be advised that's in naughty and because of that - get it watched and let your hair down.

I love Sam Rockwell and buy all of his films. This one is another winner.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 May 2015
This has to be one of the most confusing movies I have watched in a long while. Sam Rockwell plays an amoral sex addict whose day job happens to be a ‘historical interpreter’ of life in colonial America and is coming to terms with the gradual decline of his mother (Anjelica Huston) in a psychiatric hospital. While visiting his ailing mother he meets a sympathetic doctor (Kelly Macdonald) who believes that she has a unique way to save his mother. This is a dark comedy whose tone ranges from the bizarrely bonkers through bawdy romp to wistful sadness. Although the narrative was all over the place I stayed with it until the end hoping for a sign of revelation. It never came. Perhaps you will have better luck.
VINE VOICEon 25 January 2009
First of all, I should probably point out that Choke - Chuck Palahniuk's novel on which this film is based - is one of my favourite books, so there's an element of bias to this review, since unless they'd made an absolute pig's ear of it, I would feel obliged to give it full marks.

In actual fact, this is a pretty faithful adaptation of Palahniuk's book and as a movie it works well. Starring Sam Rockwell as Victor Mancini, a sexaholic who pretends to choke in restaurants in order to generate funds to meet the escalating costs of his mother's hospital bills, it explores a myriad different themes and ties them all together into a surprisingly moving, darkly funny tale of love, escapism and the power we have over our own destinies.

Like the book, Choke contains some fairly sordid moments, but they are balanced by scenes of a strange pathos - especially those between Victor and his ailing and deluded mother. The film benefits immensely from a strong cast, which includes Anjelica Huston, who is simply superb as Ida Mancini and Kelly McDonald (Trainspotting, No Country For Old Men) who just broke my heart as Doctor Paige Marshall. Brad William Henke, meanwhile, is almost precisely how I had envisaged Denny - another sex addict and Victor's best friend whose transformation over the course of the film is central to Choke's message.

It's certainly not going to be to everyone's taste, but this is a daring and, in places, downright hilarious film that succeeds in capturing Palahniuk's twisted vision. If you have no prior knowledge of the book, or of Palahniuk's work, I recommend it nonetheless - but be prepared: despite the promotional taglines, it's not quite what you might expect. And, in my opinion, all the better for it.

Matt Pucci
22 Comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 June 2014
When this movie was announced on Chuck Pahlaniuks website I thought 'Clark Gregg, that really really nice guy from The New Adventures of Old Christine has written and directed a movie based on one of Chuck Palahniuks most perverted novels, this I have to see', then I find out it has Sam Rockwell, Anjelica Huston and Kelly Macdonald in it and it flies to the top of my hunt it down at any costs list.

Now, a few years later, I can add Heather Burns, Gillian Jacobs and Brad William Henke to my MVP list.

Okay, it drops some stuff that's in the novel, but if you've read the book, there's no way this could have been filmed 100% faithful and received a rating from the BBFC. But at the same time this movie operates above pure shock value, it is funny, it has great performances and Clark Gregg, wisely, doesn't get in the way of the story by imposing a bunch of directorial flourishes.
on 12 April 2009
This film has it all - sex, pathos, humour, wackiness and superb casting and music. The pedigree IS good and the execution is bob on for me. There is the requirement to suspend a little disbelief but that IS cinema. I watched this because I thought Sam Rockwell was super. Now I think he is Jesus. Great fun - had to watch it a 2nd time the following day and was not disappointed.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 6 July 2015
If you haven't, you should definitely read the book first. It is a bizarre story written by Chuck Palahniuk, the author of Fight Club. Not for the faint hearted, Choke has some adult themes including sex addiction, death and mental illness, but it is a dark comedy. I prefer the book but I still think that the movie is worth watching if you like things that are a bit dark and unusual.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 16 December 2009
Whilst first impressions suggest that Choke is going to be little more than a sordid graphic story of a sex addict, it in fact offers a lot more- thanks mainly to some brilliant performances, especially from Sam Rockwell as the self-loathing central character and Anjelica Huston as his obsessive criminally-minded mother.

Skipping forward and back through Victor's life as we learn how he ended up being so messed up, and why he holds such anxieties about women and caring. (From this, I think that if you have come to this film looking for some soft titillation only, you've probably guessed it's not for you.) He falls in love with a doctor at his mother's care home for the mentally unstable, he tries to stop his best friend from getting fired from his job at the historical re-enactment village, and (slight spoiler) half-way through the film he finds out he's been cloned from a piece of Jesus' foreskin. This is not a normal film...

It's a really warm, unusual, quirky film full of great actors and bizarre twists. Well worth watching, through if you're in a group of people while watching, you may find there are some uncomfortable moments.
on 21 February 2014
Not for the easily offended but the sex was nowhere near as graphic as Game of Thrones. The story was a bit twisty turny and I look forward to listening to Clark Gregg's director's voiceover because he can actually string a sentence together.

There were good performances from the actresses / actors although it wasn't as funny as I'd hoped.
on 15 September 2015
Not my cup of tea, I'm afraid. Rather pretentious and tasteless 'yo dude' thing with indie-type 'out there' credentials (hence casting of Angelica Huston). Horrible sex-obsessed moments with soft-centred American Freudian 'grown-up' aspirations which leaves me cold, slightly repulsed and just nonplussed. I suppose it is at least short.
on 14 March 2010
I watched this movie with the book in mind. I loved the novel, it was dark, seedy and hilarious. Is one of my favourite novaels. When reading it I couldn't help but think of fight club which is is a common thing. It was everybit as gritty and real as fight club. When I watched the movie I had the highest of expectations and I did enjoy it but it was no where near as good as the book. Alot of finer details were left out. Things I loved about the noval. It felt flung together and lost alot of that grunge quality that fight club had. Obviously it can't all be the same but it falls flat as a result. It needed to stay accurate to every detail. The mutated chickens would have been a good start. The abundance of night time scenes. Hell if It were me I would have picked someone better to play the main part. The should have transitioned more accuratly aswell it just felt empty. Instead of the director dicing together what the director wanted to see he should have stuck what was actually on page. They cleaned up alot of stuff too and to be honest that is just pathetic. The discription lets you know what to expect but they were happy to show two people having sex in a bathroom but one mention "Satanic Church" and the mothers of america would cry out.

To be fair I am being harsh this is a good movie. You will get a laugh or too and will have great things to say. But if you are like me and have read the book you will feel dissapointed. On its own it does it best so I have it a fair 3/5. I have always said Fight Club is one the best movies ever made. If you feel in doubt watch fight club it does the book epic justice.