on 7 January 2017
It was after I heard a (very different) cover version of “Smalltown Boy” during the end-credits of the film “Les Cowboys” that I was reminded of Bronski Beat’s original, that I then looked for it on a CD, and a second-hand copy of “Smash Hits 1984” was what I ended up buying in order to have a copy of the song – and what a great song it is. I hadn’t heard it for years but hearing it again it is fantastic song to get you moving and singing along to!!!

The CD has eighteen tracks – some more memorable than others, but there are a few that I’m really pleased to have again, like: “I Feel for You” by Chaka Khan, “Love Wars” by Womack and Womack (which is possibly my favourite from the CD, and of course the one song that I bought the CD for, “Smalltown Boy” by Bronski Beat.

The eighteen songs:

16 Each and Everyone ((2:49) Everything But the Girl
17 Sharp Dressed Man (4:14) ZZ Top
18 Drive (3:57) Cars
on 16 April 2015
A very good compilation that features Ultravox, Bronski Beat, Chaka Khan, Foreigner, Bananarama, The Cars etc. Trouble is with this series as it features too many of the same artists but never mind still a great series and worth it for the money
review image
on 25 November 2015
What a weird series this is - does it really have anything to do with Smash Hits magazine - it certainly doesn't have much to do with smash hit songs!!!!! I bought this series because I love 80s music - and what do I find? In this series, there's Alvin (WTF??) Stardust, Bad Manners (Lip Up Fatty, anyone??), and similar weird artistes filling in for the few hit songs on each CD. I do not remember Bad Manners being a big hit in the 80s, and even less Alvin (OMG!!!!!) Stardust. He was past it in the 70s!!!!

This series of albums simply has a load of tosh as fillers (Modern Romance for example!!!) and 1 or 2 decent tracks on each volume. If The Birdy Song had come on, I would not have been surprised. Please don't waste your money on these, unless you want to sample the sh**e end of the 80s 'coz that is what this series is all about!
on 27 March 2014
My 30 year old loved it and so do I! Well worth every penny. You will not be disappointed unless you don't like music from 1984!
on 30 July 2014
very good compilation and nice to hear the full versions of these songs, so many of these hits compilations have truncated or radio edited versions. Happy with service and packaging.
on 10 May 2015
great 80's cd packed with classic tracks from 1984
on 13 January 2014
fantastic cd from 1984 smash hits love your shop
on 5 August 2015
Brings back memories of a bygone time
on 21 June 2015
Some top tuned a must have
on 9 May 2015