Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 29 November 2012
I watched the director's latest effort, Archipelago before my copy of Unrelated arrived, and found myself dreading what was sure to be another dull, ponderous film (albeit a well acted one with beautiful cinematography). Imagine my surprise then, to find myself rather enraptured by Unrelated.

Although Unrelated may be a slow burner for many, it's nothing like the glacial pace of the very unstructured Archipelago, and its plot was more than enough to keep at least this viewer engaged.

The leads felt very natural, with the sexual tension suitably bubbling away, fueling the believability of Anna's unsuitable crush on the younger Oakley. The poolside scene was the piece de resistance, with the unwilling eavesdroppers brimming with visible awkwardness at the ferocity of the argument taking place inside the house.

If Hogg's next film is as well made as this one I look forward to watching it.
on 23 September 2014
turgid
on 19 September 2011
I have to admit I'm not the biggest fan of Joanna Hogg's direction with film. Really, this is a movie that has been taken from a home video camera and played back to people who want to watch a real life story. There is no plot or drama other than that of a typical household. Just walk down the street and observe a family for a while and you will see the same thing.

HOWEVER, I did find it entertaining. The acting is well done. And for any Tom Hiddleston fan you will of course enjoy his performance. I mean, just look at him. :)
I watched it the first time just to watch it, but I found that I wanted to go back again and rewatch it, and I have rewatched it several times so I think that does say something about how it can be compelling. Afterall, we watch Real World, this isn't much different.
on 8 May 2016
I liked this film and hopefully it will be released on blu-ray where it will be a bit sharper because for a DVD this recent the quality isn't fantastic.
on 14 September 2015
An interesting film spoilt for me by, as another reviewer put it, the unbalanced sound. The directors insights are well worth watching
on 9 March 2013
I thought it was a brilliant film!
This piece is so emotive and very thought provoking.
I'm so glad I purchased it!
on 11 December 2012
Stylish, to me typically 'English' film, Hogg's work stands out, I think you'd recognise it immediately. Beautifull cinematography. Thought provoking relationships between the characters and in a way rather sad. Interesting film.
on 6 January 2012
Not the most imaginative title for a film. But it does describe what goes on.

Hot summer holidays in Tuscan villas. When the Sienna Palio is on. I've known one of them. Lazing about with strangers. Wondering what, or if, you've got anything in common.

I wouldn't have wanted to have been holidaying with this lot though. With this well to do poncey lot. Even the pompous prig George is calling Oakley his "supercilious prat of a son" (Oakley, i ask you!) The dope smoking teenagers are spoilt public school types. Whooping and whaling it up. Pinching traffic cones. Wrecking the neighbours car. I wanted to give that Oakley a slap around his conceited curly big head.

I didn't feel much sympathy for Anna either. I've known women like her: self-absorbed middle-class 40's something women who self-pity about not having kids, and are neurotically going through a self-induced mid life crisis about everything (failing relationship, career choice etc) but also about nothing at all really: you're no longer young; you can no longer have it all - flipping get over yourself! That's what i would have wanted to say to this Anna. If I'd been there. But I wasn't. Small mercies!

Yes, this film actually makes you feel relieved not to have been there in sun-drenched Tuscany; such summer holidays seem like excessively empty exercises in vapid self-indulgence. Especially given todays impoverished (and imperiled) economic climate

Anna's late confessional scene with friend Verena in hotel is overwrought and self-consciously neurotic - but that could have been the over-reacting of the actress - not able to suggest more sympathetic qualities (maybe that's why this was her first film - her acting isn't up to much)

"I tried for not an obvious kind of beauty ala Merchant Ivory heritage Tuscany" says Joanna Hogg in the Interview extra. Yes, i could see that. Mind you, sometimes the camerawork could have done with being of a better quality: night scenes were chronically under lit; dialogues were indistinct, sometimes inaudible. But Hogg says they had a cheap camera to work with. Explains, but doesn't excuse why you can't hear half of whats being said.

Says she was aiming at a truth - true for her - that expresses what she hears and sees is true-to-life of the life and particular milieu around her. I got that. And i think she achieved it. Despite my reservations i think this film did capture quite authentically something awkward and actual, something painfully real. About how social and self exclusion often feed off and into one another.
on 16 August 2015
A film packed with underlying tense emotions, beautifully filmed and unusual.
on 27 November 2011
I had read great reviews about this but to be honest, it was a disappointment- very slow. A study of a woman who is experiencing problems in her relationship and takes herself off to a friends. She develops a soft spot for a young guy (her friends son) and misreads his attention. I struggled with the fact that she appeared to be an intelligent woman but in no time completely "lost" herself and spent all her time with teenagers, behaving like a teenager and tended to ignore her life time friend. Not great....took my mind off the ironing though, just:}