Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£4.99

on 23 August 2008
I can't believe it took me so long to buy this album. People have been telling me it's great for ages. Thing is, somehow I managed to not hear any Duffy songs until about a month ago. Yeah, I know, where have I been?
Anyway, this is excellent. Warwick Avenue, Mercy, Rockferry they're all classic tracks that sound like you've known them for years.
Great voice, great music, great lyrics. Overall a very accessible album.
Rockferry is pure class with some fantastic 60's retro tunes that fit Duffy's voice to a tee. Stepping Stone is the stand out track for me amongst many great songs that already mark this debut as a classic. As soon as you play this CD it's like a warm summer breeze brushing over you...totally feelgood.
on 13 December 2007
Absolutely love this single, and the B-side is great too. Duffy has an incredible voice, a bit bluesy, or almost country sounding, and there's a definite air of the sixties to 'Rockferry'. Occasionally sounds like she's channeling Eva Cassidy, but rockier. So difficult to describe her! As distinctive and hard to categorise as Amy Winehouse (who I also love).
Word to the wise, if vinyl isn't an option for you, both the A and B-sides are available from a fruit-related download store! A brief surf of the internet will also lead you to a sample for a third song (Warwick Avenue), and full-length (free) download of another (Breaking My Own Heart). (Can't be too detailed due to amazon review rules).

All in all, it's definitely whetted my appetite for the album. Can't wait!
on 9 January 2008
I've pre-ordered this album after hearing fantastic tracks like Mercy, Warwick Avenue and Rockferry. Can't wait to hear the rest of the album. If they can afford to leave out a fabulous song like Breaking My Own Heart then they really must have some great stuff up their sleeves. Duffy was singing the blues when the likes of Adele and Winehouse - excellent as they are - were still in stage school, wish people would stop categorising her with them, she has her own very unique voice. This girl was born to sing and like she says her music is going to be around for 500 years.
on 6 March 2008
If you want to know if this lady can sing, cue Distant Dreamer on your iPod/MP3, turn it up loud, shut your eyes,......and fly with her voice. Brilliant, treat yourself and buy this CD now.
on 12 April 2008
I love this CD because it is as round as Karl Pilkingtons little bald Mancunian head. Its like a ------- orange.
on 12 March 2008
There's talent like Amy Winehouse and then there's a couple of levels up. Duffy is up with the best British female singers of the past 40 years. This album is a retro album - that there's no doubt - but it works. It's a mixture of Phil Spector, the Walker Brothers and Dusty Springfield but it has a modern slant on the sixties sound. The single 'Mercy' is the best single so far this year and will be hard to beat. Other tracks like 'Rockferry' and 'Distant Dreamer' confirm she has a strong voice. The arrangements are deep and powerful which makes a welcome change from some of the weak stuff that has been floating around over the past few years. No names but you know who you are! Duffy - good luck, you deserve it.
on 26 February 2008
I saw Duffy at her second show at London's Pigalle Club (very cool by the way)in January.As my cousin had bought the tickets, I had no idea who or what Duffy was about, so no preconceptions.
I have to say, it was one of the most stunning sets I've ever seen. Just stunning. A nod to 60's Soul and Motown, great vocals and an amazing band at the top of their game.If this isn't the Mercury Award, Grammy, Brit standout of 2008 and the album you'll hear all summer, I'm giving up and moving to somewhere, very far away and subject myself to listen to Celine Dion.
And she's Welsh. Tidy
on 12 April 2008
wow what an album not a duff track on this album. my mate karl got me into this album and i havn't stopped listening to it since. so karl i thankyou you citrus based fruit head. top album a must buy.
on 26 April 2008
After my original review of this cd i got absolutely twated from every side available, so i withdrew my review and decided to re-review the album so here goes. Still, to this day i must be the only person who absolutely hates Mercy, yuk!! reminds me of Ace Of Base's boring days when they were struggling for hits. However the album begins with two of the most finest pieces of music you will ever ear. The title track Rockferry, which i pray comes out as a single will be No.1 for a long, long time, and Warwick Avenue is heading that way as we speak, Serious aint too bad neither as is Stepping Stone, Hanging On Too Long, Delayed Devotion and Distant Dreamer. It's sort of balladary meeting mid-tempo tracks all the way, you can certainly chill out to this cd, and of course she comes from my neck of the woods (Wales), and has done the red dragon population just a wee bit mighty fine and proud. My partner plays this cd day and night, and has also got some Welsh language cds of Duffy, which is where she started at but of course would never get recognition for them over the bridges into the mainstream of businesses. This album some what reminds me of 80's fab stars as T'Pau and Martika. So buy this album, not if you think everything is going to be like Mercy, it aint - Mercy is just a small needle in a bursting finely bred hay stack. One of the brightest things to erupt out of Wales since Bonnie Tyler or Catatonia.
77 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse