Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 25 April 2016
Just fabulous. I discovered the wonderful music of L'Arpeggiata and Christina Pluhar after hearing Pur ti miro on Classic FM. With the superb countertenor Philippe Jaroussky and brilliant soprano Nuria Rial, though there is so much more to what L'Arpeggiata do--and so much simply divine music that I never knew existed. We love Bach and Handel, and I've heard some wonderful early music through Harry Christopher and the wonderful Sixteen, but this Monteverdi music is something else. Just wonderful--it literally goes straight to the soul. I just love it.
on 24 January 2009
As someone who really enjoys L'Arpeggiata's performances, this is a disc which does not disappoint. I simply love the interpretation of 'Chiome d'oro', really refreshing and one of my favourite pieces of Monteverdi, 'Zefiro Torna' it really swings along very nicely. If you have not discovered L'Arpeggiata's music, this would be a good place to start. My one regret is that Virgin failed to think that we in the UK would not want or enjoy a DVD that comes as a limited edition in France, I would love to see that!
22 Comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 August 2014
perfect
on 2 December 2015
Wonderful recording from this early music group with some really special songs. It has made me want to hear more of Monteverdi's secular works and more recordings by Philippe Jaroussky and Nuria Rial with their gorgeous voices and interpretations of the songs.
on 8 February 2015
Splendid!
on 11 September 2012
Somebody thinks that classical music is... hem... not properly boring, but ground for intellectual and refined tastes, not viable for amusement.
Well, this selection from Monteverdi is exactly "fun music". Not trivial, but absolutely entrancing and also, yes, intellectually ravishing.
It is a charming challenge listening Monteverdi mixed up in jazz sonorities, sung by a countertenor and discovering that it is something absolutely harmonious and that perfectly fits in the listener's ear!
Arpeggiata's members have an absolute maitrise of their art and give in this CD a great example of a lively performance. The singers also are at ease with this repertoire; they approach Monteverdi's pieces not in an operatic way, that would be maybe too stiff and bombastic, but in an intimate, soft, sometimes even ironic way that perfectly fits this repertoire.
Most of all, I appreciated Jaroussky. I have never been fond of countertenor: their sonority was always poor in my ear, a little rigid, and bereft of nuances; muuuuch better Marilyn Horne or Cecilia Bartoli! This was before I listened to Jaroussky, that maybe has not a great power in his strings, but has a so tender, nuanced, allusive voice, that finally I found a meaning in countertenor vocality! Now, in this CD at least two pieces are a wonderful exemple of his interpretative art: Ohimè, ch'io cado (so full of irony!) and Pur ti miro (tender, intimate, allusive). Just these two pieces would be worth the whole CD's purchase.

Try it, at least the preview offered by Amazon, it is really a refreshing musical experience!
on 23 September 2015
A real baroque gem, performed brilliantly as usual by C Pluhar and Co.
on 31 May 2016
A brilliant CD, highly recommendable.
on 8 May 2014
This is probably the best disc I've ever bought in over 40 years of record collecting, an absolute knock-out from start to finish, I had no idea Monteverdi was this good. A revelation. Absolutely wonderful performances from L'Arpeggiata and Christina Pluhar.
on 26 May 2014
I love the passion in this music and will never tire listening to it.
And I'm also very happy with the service. Bravo Amazon.