Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 20 September 2017
This is a great compilation of songs, the first set of songs is from the Fish era (until 1989(, second set from the Steve Hogarth era (1989 onwards. had never head any Hogarth era stuff but was very impressed and probably would say on the whole these are if anything slightly better - although you still can't deny the brilliance of songs like "Kayleigh", "Lavender" & "Incommunicado". All in all this is an absolute bargain & would highly recommend to any fan of either era.
on 22 March 2013
I bought this album having only recently discovered Marillion. I'm a big fan of rock and progressive rock and this album hugely appeals to me. I would recommend it to anyone who likes classic rock or is a guitar fan in general. For me, I think disc 2 is the winner here.
on 18 March 2017
A "must have" Marillion album from fans and non-fans. Great product. Expeditious delivery.
on 27 April 2017
Marillion at their finest, crafted and bursting with the greats !!
on 14 June 2017
good
on 17 July 2017
I brought this as a replacement for my 7 year old original albums which are a bit worse for wear due to been overplayed and various house moves, I must say I have many marrillion albums and script for a jesters tear has to be the best by far,, when Hogarth came on the scene it was never the same not saying it's not good but hasn't got that same feel to it, like you can relate to it, that's the magic touch that fish had with his lyrics they captured you, had some obscure feel to them, I don't get this with Hogarth, no matter how good his lyrics are. Still worth the money tho for two albums but disc 1 definitely better. I still think that deep down marrillion are just a wannabe " genesis" band who just happened to get lucky one day if you listen to Genesis " foxtrot" album and play ""watcher of the skies"" with Peter Gabriel you can here the similarities in the music between marrillion and genesis. Genesis definitely been the better band for sure! Marrillion the fish years a close second.
on 7 December 2007
For this price, you should do yourself a favour and buy two copies in case you lose one of them, it is THAT good.

This double compilation is a fantastic introduction to Marillion, particularly to often overlooked Hogarth era, which is a real shame as there are some true gems in there.

The first cd comprises material from the Fish fronted era, with their most instantly recognisable material. The style is a mix of 70's prog rock and 80's pop, with some truly magical moments.

I didn't really listen to the second cd for a while, as I was so hooked on the Script for a Jester's Tear material, and now I can't stop listening to it. The style changed substantially with Hogarth, leaning to a much more commercial yet high quality pop that still feels and sounds relevant nearly twenty years later.

Buy it!!!
on 22 April 2011
I do agree that this is a well balanced "best of Marillion", many of their best songs do feature on this album and this is a good buy. There are some amazing songs that are not on this compilation but then with such depth and quality in material, it was always going to be impossible to please everyone. I have the first five Marillion albums from the Fish era Script for a Jesters Tear to Clutching at Straws as well as the first post Fish album Seasons End. They are all unique and are all fantastic. Do your self a favour, buy this compilation but once you have given it a listen you will then want more. Just a tip once you become a Marillion convert, buy the available remastered 2 disk Cd's which have loads of extra tracks (B sides and demo's).
on 11 July 2000
Quite simply the very best Marillion collection out there, and the only one worthy of your money. The idea is simple, yet powerful; One disc features the best work of the bands powerful heyday, featuring the troubled and brilliant Scottish poet Fish. Whilst some of the material sounds slightly quaint these days, the songs still retain the magic from my younger days. The other disc features the more contemporary sounds and songs of the material written with current lead-vocalist, Steve Hogarth. The best voice in pop music. The band has changed it's sound to a substantial degree under the helm of Hogarth (or "H", as he is affectionally known as), yet there is no denying the quite excellent musicianship and emotional lyrics that have always been their trademarks.
Marillion remain the best kept secret in British Rock. Neither rock, nor pop, nor "progressive" and definately not "hip" or "in", their music is simply put rock music of the highest calibre and flavoured with touches of pop, of progressive rocks finest moments and the odd touch of soul and folk.
Still confused? So are most critics whom have never been able to put a sufficient tag on the band, and many rock fans are left bewildered by the band. I can only say that you will be well off by giving this band a chance, and this is as good a place as any.
If you have never heard any of the music, yet are familiar with the name and wonder what this actually sounds like, you will have to try and imagine a blend of Pink Floyd, the Beatles, Yes, Steely Dan, Led Zeppelin and Crowded House. If any of these, or similar bands, are to your taste, I guarantee you a nice few hours in the company of this excellent 2-disc set.
on 21 March 2013
When Marillion first appeared on the scene, I did not buy their music as I had always dismissed them as a pale Phil Collins era Genesis copy. As I get older I now find myself back-filling my prog-rock collection and given the impressive reviews given to Marillion I thought I would give them another try.

I’m sorry to say that, in my view, they are not even a pale Genesis copy. I know the definition of prog is wide, but I struggle to understand how they are regarded to be in this genre. If I was listening to the music without knowing what it was I would almost be inclined to describe it as soft American-style rock.

Marillion are commercially successful and must have an appeal, I just don’t hear it. There is a lot of great prog out there and time is too short to listen to mediocrity. If you have heard everything put out by Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes, Camel, King Crimson, etc and you still crave more there is plenty to try. Porcupine Tree and Pendragon might be a good start.